Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Mad_Chesser Who enjoys playing chess? - 01/14/13 12:25 AM
I'm a huge chess enthusiast. I'm starting to collect chess boards/pieces.

Who else enjoys the game of chess?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Who enjoys playing chess? - 01/14/13 01:52 AM
I used to. Haven't played in about 30 years. My favorite book was Winning Chess: How To See Three Moves In Advance.
Posted By: Mad_Chesser Re: Who enjoys playing chess? - 01/14/13 02:39 AM
Wow, that's a long time to not have played. New hobbies always replace old ones though wink

I hardly play my guitar anymore.

I've never read that book, but I have heard of it. Supposed to be good smile

My favourite chess book is chess fundamentals by Capablanca
Posted By: medic8r Re: Who enjoys playing chess? - 01/14/13 02:45 PM
Don't get too excited if chesseroo chimes in on this thread. His user name is sneaky. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Who enjoys playing chess? - 01/14/13 02:54 PM
Everytime I see Chesseroo, I think about cheese.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Who enjoys playing chess? - 01/14/13 03:48 PM
I have been playing the game for about 40 years (started at five). Love it. No cheating or luck. I'm not too good at it though... Never read a book on it until last year when I got my ass handed to me by a friend, who unbeknownst to me, was a competitive national champion. I used to just like to play the game, figuring out strategies on my own. After reading up on openings, mid and end games, I'm sad to report that the top players have a strategy and series of moves to make in response to their opponent's opening move, or vise versa. I have no interest in memorizing strategies.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Who enjoys playing chess? - 01/14/13 03:52 PM
I used to play chess a lot. My parents have (or had) a gorgeous old all marble chessboard and pieces that look(ed) very similar to this one.

Posted By: Mad_Chesser Re: Who enjoys playing chess? - 01/14/13 04:48 PM
Originally Posted By: michael_d
I have been playing the game for about 40 years (started at five). Love it. No cheating or luck. I'm not too good at it though... Never read a book on it until last year when I got my ass handed to me by a friend, who unbeknownst to me, was a competitive national champion. I used to just like to play the game, figuring out strategies on my own. After reading up on openings, mid and end games, I'm sad to report that the top players have a strategy and series of moves to make in response to their opponent's opening move, or vise versa. I have no interest in memorizing strategies.

i'd say you are right to a point. World chess championships...they are prepared for their pponent. I watch top level games often though (like 2000 elo), and they are all flying by the seat of their pants...or I should say, following chess principles/fundamentals.

Im roughly about a 1400 elo player. Been playing and studying for a year. I found the interactive lessons on chessmaster 12(pc), to be the most helpful and gave me an awe inspiring appreciation of the game. Taught me about pins, forks, skewers, etc.

With 40 years, u must be pretty decent. I would love to have a game sometime.
Posted By: Mad_Chesser Re: Who enjoys playing chess? - 01/14/13 05:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Powertothepeople
I used to play chess a lot. My parents have (or had) a gorgeous old all marble chessboard and pieces that look(ed) very similar to this one.

I love marble sets. Gorgeous
Posted By: Mad_Chesser Re: Who enjoys playing chess? - 01/14/13 05:24 PM
If anyone's up for a game, all you have to do is click this link. The game will start immediately with me. If I don't move right away, my bad, I might be away from my computer. I set time controls for 30 minutes. This is a great site to set up invite only games, no sign up needed.

http://lichess.org/jc2up7ht
Posted By: Murph Re: Who enjoys playing chess? - 01/14/13 05:53 PM
I used to play. Although I never played enough to really develop any sense of strategy. I was above beginner but easily beaten by anyone with experience.

I have a couple of nice chess sets though. My favorite is made entirely of beach sand, board and pieces. A few of you have seen it that time we all shared some unique music compilation CDs.

Sadly I can never put them out on display or the pieces end up being cat toys. I blame Brian.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Who enjoys playing chess? - 01/14/13 09:33 PM
That's ok. It's always my fault.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Who enjoys playing chess? - 01/15/13 01:03 AM
Originally Posted By: medic8r
Don't get too excited if chesseroo chimes in on this thread. His user name is sneaky. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Well my wife likes playing WITH Chess, but that IS a whole different game.
That one only takes about 4 minutes.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Who enjoys playing chess? - 01/15/13 02:23 AM
You make it sound like you're just a pawn....
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Who enjoys playing chess? - 01/15/13 02:36 AM
Originally Posted By: chesseroo
Originally Posted By: medic8r

Well my wife likes playing WITH Chess, but that IS a whole different game.
That one only takes about 4 minutes.

You were her knight in shining armour prior to becoming her king; and her, your queen. You built a castle around her, only to realize you're but a pawn, and she, your bishop.

Marriage summed up smile.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Who enjoys playing chess? - 01/15/13 03:46 AM
Nick, I've played occasionally, although it's been quite a while since I've played over the board. I fool around a bit occasionally with one of the 3000+ rated chess programs and you might try it if you don't now use one. The Houdini 1.5 program can be downloaded for free, but needs a GUI such as the free Arena 3.0 also linked there to display it.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Who enjoys playing chess? - 01/15/13 03:58 AM
Chess, rapid play is apparently popular these days, but you can change your settings to 40 moves in 120 minutes!
Posted By: Mad_Chesser Re: Who enjoys playing chess? - 01/15/13 06:53 AM
Originally Posted By: JohnK
Nick, I've played occasionally, although it's been quite a while since I've played over the board. I fool around a bit occasionally with one of the 3000+ rated chess programs and you might try it if you don't now use one. The Houdini 1.5 program can be downloaded for free, but needs a GUI such as the free Arena 3.0 also linked there to display it.

Very cool. Yes I've used the Houdini engine.

I'm very fanatical about my Fritz program though smile I use it for analyzing...which is new territory for me. I am just starting to keep a record of my games for analyzing.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Who enjoys playing chess? - 01/15/13 03:37 PM
Originally Posted By: JohnK
Chess, rapid play is apparently popular these days, but you can change your settings to 40 moves in 120 minutes!

Hey i just don't have time for tantric chess these days.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Who enjoys playing chess? - 01/15/13 04:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Mad_Chesser
If anyone's up for a game, all you have to do is click this link. The game will start immediately with me. If I don't move right away, my bad, I might be away from my computer. I set time controls for 30 minutes. This is a great site to set up invite only games, no sign up needed.

http://lichess.org/jc2up7ht

We'll give it a go when I have some spare time. Playing catch up on a bunch of snow removal today.....

I picked up this set a few years ago.

Posted By: Murph Re: Who enjoys playing chess? - 01/15/13 06:18 PM
Beautiful set. Nice chess sets can truly be pieces of art.

Turns out I still have my CD cover picture with the set made from sand in my photobucket account. Here it is if anyone is interested.

Posted By: chesseroo Re: Who enjoys playing chess? - 01/17/13 03:51 PM
Hey, that doesn't look like a wine glass to me.

And what speakers are those?
Not Axiom?

GASP!!!

cry
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Who enjoys playing chess? - 01/17/13 03:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Murph
Beautiful set. Nice chess sets can truly be pieces of art.

Turns out I still have my CD cover picture with the set made from sand in my photobucket account. Here it is if anyone is interested.

Now THAT really looks east coast!
Is that a puffin i see in there?
Posted By: Murph Re: Who enjoys playing chess? - 01/17/13 06:49 PM
Ummm, No.

Pawns = conk shells
Rooks = fish (vertical)
Knight = horse (but it's a muscle mud harvesting horse!)
Bishop = lighthouse
King = fisherman with a net
Queen = his wife with a straw broom

Puffins??? You must be thinking of your Mary Poppins set.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Who enjoys playing chess? - 01/19/13 06:54 PM
Originally Posted By: chesseroo
Hey, that doesn't look like a wine glass to me.

And what speakers are those?
Not Axiom?

GASP!!!

cry

I'm all about diversity bud!
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Who enjoys playing chess? - 01/21/13 07:04 PM
Originally Posted By: michael_d

I'm all about diversity bud!

Not to highjack this thread too far off base, but, what pots and pans did you ever end up buying?
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Who enjoys playing chess? - 01/21/13 07:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Murph

Puffins??? You must be thinking of your Mary Poppins set.

Ah that must only be the Newfie version i guess.
© Axiom Message Boards