Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Caligula Is there a reason why - 01/16/07 11:29 PM
a M36 V2 (hypothetical) speaker does not exist? This 3-way speaker would target the "sweetspot" between the M22 and M50 and consist of the following configuration: A single 1" tweeter, a single 5.25" midrange, and a single 6.5" woofer. This would seem to allow for performance representation in each frequency range. Just curious. Are there technical limitations/rationale that make this an unappealing configuration?

My circumstances call for something like this (I'm in a cozy 800 sf condo with 10' high concrete ceilings ... just used during the work week ... thus not much loud music or hardcore HT viewing). My gut was to go with the M22s, but I fear that I'll have to supplement the sound with a sub (want to be sensitive to neighbors in the condo environment) ... or the M50s, but fear that I'll get fuller sound, but sacrifice some mid-range clarity.

Will be driving this with a Yamaha RX-V659. Would the M22s give me enough base (not a thumper, but would like a full sound range). Any pearls of wisdom?

Just for reference, here’s my set-up at the primary residence:

Denon 3805
M60 Fronts
VP 150 Center
QS8 Surrounds (x2)
HSU VTF-3 MK2
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Is there a reason why - 01/17/07 12:02 AM
I'd be willing to bet that Axiom has tested prototypes like that, and that the reason they don't exist for purchase is that they simply don't sound as good as the M22.

I'd just get a pair of M22's and a modest sub. Properly calibrated and judiciously applied, it shouldn't bother the neighbors any more than any other setup.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Is there a reason why - 01/17/07 01:39 AM
First time I've ever heard it called an M36. Do a search on M45, and you'll probably find a ton of nicely combative threads.

Needless to say, it doesn't, and I wouldn't count on it ever existing.
Posted By: Caligula Re: Is there a reason why - 01/17/07 02:31 AM
Thanks gang. Pulled the trigger on a pair of M22s tonight. That was my gut all along. Will try them in my space and supplement with a "modest sub" as necessary (maybe the HSU STF-1?).

BTW, the "math" on the mythical M36 was as follows: (M)50 -(M)22 = 28 ... (M)22 + 14 (half) = M36. I did the suggested (M45) search. Referring to Alan as a "twit" is blasphemy!

Thanks again for helping to validate my thinking!

Caligula
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Is there a reason why - 01/17/07 07:00 AM
For what your talking about the little Hsu would mate really well with the M22's.

The M22ti's were my first Axiom speaker purchase. It was after very lengthy listening sessions of countless speakers that I finally made my purchase. I'm still in love with the Axiom sound.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Is there a reason why - 01/17/07 09:25 AM
I have been saying all along that the M22's due in fact have quite abit of nice bass, tight and not thumpy. I found I had to isolate them from their shelf with rubber feet to get them to sound more full down low. The sub will definately add that extra bit to fill out the sound as low as we have become accustomed to.
Posted By: PaulM Re: Is there a reason why - 01/17/07 10:26 PM
Alan Croft reported on a blind listening test he did recently while at the factory. When the curtain was pulled back it turned out he was listening to the M22's mounted on a wall. He reported they reproduced the excellent mid and high frequencies that they are most noted for but that being so close to the wall also reinforced the base nicely and the M22's produced more base than he had previously experienced.

You might want to try this before purchasing the sub. It might just meet your listening desires.

Paul
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Is there a reason why - 01/17/07 10:44 PM
I think you mean Alan Lloft
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Is there a reason why - 01/17/07 10:54 PM
Quote:

I think you mean Alan Lloft

I think you mean Alan Loft.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Is there a reason why - 01/17/07 11:13 PM
You mean Alan Lofft.

Bren R.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Is there a reason why - 01/17/07 11:15 PM
Are you all sure you didn't mean Laura Croft?
Posted By: BrenR Re: Is there a reason why - 01/17/07 11:19 PM
You mean Lara Croft?

Good lord, guys, can none of you spell?!?

Bren R.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Is there a reason why - 01/17/07 11:30 PM
I knew I was misspelling it as I pressed Post it... But it's more funny this way!
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Is there a reason why - 01/17/07 11:31 PM
Quote:

I knew I was misspelling it as I pressed Post it... But it's more funny this way!

lol, as did I, I kinda had this feeling Bren would reply with a spelling correction, hahah.
Posted By: baglorious Re: Is there a reason why - 01/18/07 12:56 AM
Funnier.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Is there a reason why - 01/18/07 01:51 AM
Quote:

You mean Lara Croft?

Good lord, guys, can none of you spell?!?

Bren R.

Compared to the gaming forums I have been frequenting lately and all of their text messaging shorthand and just plain misspelling this forum is a blessing.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Is there a reason why - 01/18/07 06:01 AM
Tell me about it. I can even learn to put up with Randy's constant confusion of homophones!
Posted By: alan Re: Is there a reason why - 01/18/07 10:11 PM
LOL! It's those double "f's" that throw everyone. I've gotten Alan Frost and Alan Soft, but the "Croft" is a new one. Most amusing so far is Aloo Toffet in an email from Asia.

Happy Birthday, Ken.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Is there a reason why - 01/18/07 10:35 PM
Is that you Moises Alou?

Bren R.
Posted By: alan Re: Is there a reason why - 01/18/07 10:52 PM
Who is Lara (or Laura) Croft? Why is that name familiar? Was she a character on "Twin Peaks"?
Posted By: JasonB Re: Is there a reason why - 01/18/07 10:56 PM
Quote:

Who is Lara (or Laura) Croft? Why is that name familiar? Was she a character on "Twin Peaks"?

Does "Tomb Raider" ring a bell?
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Is there a reason why - 01/18/07 11:18 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Does "Tomb Raider" ring a bell?

Also known as Angelina Jolie,

Not mention being a "Home Wrecker" with Brad Pitt, she also starred opposite of Brad Pitt on "Mr. and Mrs. Smith".
Posted By: Lorenzo1000 Re: Is there a reason why - 01/18/07 11:43 PM
Home wrecker, welcome to wreck my home anytime she wants.
Posted By: Jordan Re: Is there a reason why - 01/19/07 12:37 AM
Alan, you aren't that far off with the "twin peaks". That is certainly a big part of her appeal.

J
Posted By: PaulM Re: Is there a reason why - 01/19/07 03:03 AM
Sorry about the misspell Alan. At least it led to a few laughs and visions of Angelina's twin peaks.

Paul
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Is there a reason why - 01/23/07 03:26 PM
Quote:

Alan Croft reported on a blind listening test he did recently while at the factory. When the curtain was pulled back it turned out he was listening to the M22's mounted on a wall. He reported they reproduced the excellent mid and high frequencies that they are most noted for but that being so close to the wall also reinforced the base nicely and the M22's produced more base than he had previously experienced.

You might want to try this before purchasing the sub. It might just meet your listening desires.

Paul

with all of that...no one mentioned 'base'.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Is there a reason why - 01/23/07 03:34 PM
Quote:

with all of that...no one mentioned 'base'.

Your right! I noticed it to.
Posted By: Wid Re: Is there a reason why - 01/23/07 04:05 PM

I've seen that on quite a few threads as of late.
Posted By: dllewel Re: Is there a reason why - 01/23/07 04:08 PM
Craig,

I totally missed it! And it's in there more than once. I was distracted by Croft I guess.
Posted By: Nachosgrande Re: Is there a reason why - 01/23/07 04:13 PM
I like sea base.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Is there a reason why - 01/23/07 05:54 PM
All your bass are belong to us.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Is there a reason why - 01/23/07 05:55 PM
That hurt so much that I'm crying.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Is there a reason why - 01/23/07 05:57 PM
I noticed it frequently of late, but didn't want to be that guy that's always correcting others.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Is there a reason why - 01/23/07 06:14 PM
I notice it all the time and it kinda drives me a little buggy, but I never say anything. I only pointed it out this time because you were all having such fun pointing out all the spelling errors in the names.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Is there a reason why - 01/23/07 06:37 PM
Gotta admit that when I see it in the subject line and I reply, I correct the spelling.
© Axiom Message Boards