Axiom Home Page
Posted By: axiom_man Sub ... if you had a choice - 03/09/07 03:17 AM
HSU VTF-3 HO
SVS 12.3 plus
or
Axiom 600
which would you pick ?
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: Sub ... if you had a choice - 03/09/07 04:00 AM
I suspect the opinions will be a bit biased towards the EP600. From what I've read, they're all fantastic subs. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

If I had to pick one, it would probably be the EP600 simply because the new digital amplifier technology gives it an edge over the others.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Sub ... if you had a choice - 03/09/07 04:01 AM
EP600 of course, oh wait this is an Axiom forum.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Sub ... if you had a choice - 03/09/07 05:07 AM
600 for me. But I haven't heard the others.

Well, and my wife would murder me if I tried to put any of them in our living room...

Now, an EP400...
Posted By: KC23 Re: Sub ... if you had a choice - 03/09/07 01:02 PM
Depend on the size room I was putting it in, but I agree with the above the EP600 ... it is a big unit though and a relatively low WAF.
Posted By: jakeman Re: Sub ... if you had a choice - 03/09/07 02:49 PM
If you look at the specs its no contest in in favour of the EP600 , though there is a big price difference. The better comparison would be the top of the line SVS Ultra sub and the EP500 which are closer in price and performance. However in listening tests the consensus was tilted to the EP500 because of its superior articulation and excellent DSP controlled frequency response. Though the SVS sub had better extension down low it has inferior performance in the mid/high bass.

SVS has a new line of subs on the way slated for later this year and its expected that their new subs will be much more competitive, performance wise with the Hsu and Axiom subs. If you want an SVS sub you should wait for the new crop.
Posted By: abbub Re: Sub ... if you had a choice - 03/09/07 03:09 PM
Yeah, there's a pretty big price difference there. I went with the Hsu and don't regret it a bit. (i don't mind saying that, even if this *is* an axiom forum, since my fronts, my center, and my three surrounds are all axiom...) It's a great sounding sub, and kicks the pants off of anything I heard while auditioning subs at the local B&M.
Posted By: jakeman Re: Sub ... if you had a choice - 03/09/07 04:41 PM
Yup Hsu makes terrific subs. Any of the Hsu subs are among the best price/performance values right now. I thought the HSU VTF-3HO and the JL113 were among the top new subwoofers of 2006 regardless of price.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Sub ... if you had a choice - 03/09/07 04:42 PM
Link to an old review i wrote on the EP350 vs SVS Pci.
I have yet to hear a Hsu.
Posted By: mrnomas Re: Sub ... if you had a choice - 03/09/07 07:18 PM
2 EP500's though that wasn't a choice on the list
Posted By: Wid Re: Sub ... if you had a choice - 03/09/07 07:38 PM

I think I would go for the Hsu/Turbo.
Posted By: snakeyes Re: Sub ... if you had a choice - 03/09/07 11:11 PM
Check out This its the craigsub sub-woofer rankings thread hr rates the hsu pretty high.though he only has the ep500 on his list there may be some info for you there.
Posted By: gbondioli Re: Sub ... if you had a choice - 03/09/07 11:49 PM
Somewhere in that craigsub ranking thread (I think) I asked Craig to rank the EP600. I believe he gave it a 92, same as the VTF-HO sans turbo. (avsforum is blocked from work, so I cannot verify this right now )
Posted By: jakeman Re: Sub ... if you had a choice - 03/10/07 02:26 AM
He doesn't have it ranked in the list like the EP500 though I recall him answering off the cuff when asked. Everyone will rank subs somewhat differently and Craig had just come off listening extensively to the HSU VTF sub. I believe he has stretched to give the Hsu such a high point score relative to the EP600 and his ranking doesn't include several of the excellent Velodyne subs. When asked to provide my ranking I posted the following list based on subs I have heard. I'm sure everyone would have a slightly different list. By the way all these subs would work well in any HT.

1. JL Audio 113 / Velodyne DD-18
2. JL Audio 112
3. Velodyne DD-15
4. Paradigm Servo v2
5. SVS Ultra/2
6. Axiom EP600
7. Velodyne DD-12
8. HSU VTF-3HO + Turbo
9. Axiom EP500
10. HSU VTF-3HO/SVS Ultra
11. Rocket UFW-12
12. HSU VTF-3 Mach III
13. SVS PB12 -Plus/2

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=9523837#post9523837
Posted By: gbondioli Re: Sub ... if you had a choice - 03/10/07 04:54 AM
Ahh, here is Craig's EP600 ranking
BTW, I ended up getting the 3-HO w/ Turbo to go with my High Gloss Cherry Axioms... I gotta post pics one of these days
So far, I don't have the sub performing the way I had hoped. But I only put it in one location, so far. I'm getting a BFD to play with also... I have a lot of tweaking yet to do. My first baby is due in 5 weeks, so I think this is called "nesting"
Posted By: axiom_man Re: Sub ... if you had a choice - 03/12/07 07:17 PM
EP600 6th on the list I am interested in the SVS Ultra/2 also. But it is huge .... so isn't the EP600. The I gotta thinking I remember the Paradxxxx Siesmic 12 was a wicked sub.
My porblem is I lve my Axioms, but my room as of now and for the forseeable futre ( 7 years) is only 13 x 18 x 7.5 and as I was re-arranging speaker and stuff last night to see how I am going to construct the room and speaker placements I do not have much room for one EP500 let alone two or a SVS. so I was then think two of these Siesmic 12's which would fit easily. I maybe able to get a Horizontal EP600 and put it in the middle up front and below the tv or Screen. getting really confused as to what I want. HSU is out as they only sell from the USA and can get really costly with shipping, duty, shipping again and broker fees and then tx's.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Sub ... if you had a choice - 03/12/07 07:20 PM
Quote:

I do not have much room for one EP500 let alone two or a SVS.

Sounds like an EP400 for you, then!
Posted By: axiom_man Re: Sub ... if you had a choice - 03/12/07 07:32 PM
yeh , right I will find a way one way or another I am not going lower than a EP500
Posted By: HAY Re: Sub ... if you had a choice - 03/12/07 07:34 PM
Quote:

HSU is out as they only sell from the USA and can get really costly with shipping, duty, shipping again and broker fees and then tx's.

Not true, they have a distributor in Canada. You can call HSU and they will tell you and I will also send you a PM with a quick link from where I got mine (local pick up though), which I registered with HSU.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Sub ... if you had a choice - 03/12/07 09:41 PM
>>My porblem is I lve my Axioms, but my room as of now and for the forseeable futre ( 7 years) is only 13 x 18 x 7.5 and as I was re-arranging speaker and stuff last night to see how I am going to construct the room and speaker placements I do not have much room for one EP500 let alone two or a SVS.

This is important information. For this room size you don't need to worry so much about getting up into EP600 or Ultra/2 territory. A single EP500 is one of the smallest "killer subs" you can get.
Posted By: jakeman Re: Sub ... if you had a choice - 03/13/07 02:26 AM
Axiom Man, an EP500 would be a great choice for your room size. Its a very powerful excellent sounding sub for its size and more than capable in a 1750cf room. If you can swing a HSU VTF-3HO that would also be a good candidate. I would avoid the similar priced SVS subs since they are not in the same performance league as these two Axiom and HSU subs. The sealed Velo DD-12 is another consideration if you prefer more music applications and its smaller than either of these two subs but more expensive.
Posted By: axiom_man Re: Sub ... if you had a choice - 03/13/07 06:30 PM
Hi, thanks all
as for HSU I spoke with the company that sells them xxxxx seems they are selling out as HSU is going direct seling as Axiom did. and only have a few models left...not the HO's.

I am aware of the smaller room and a EP500 would be great and more than enough but I will still go with two and just turn down the volume level. As I will end up building a specific movie room in a few years that will be larger and do not want to upgrade again. It is bad enough convincing the other half that I need to upgrade let alone a bigger room. I figure I will get the addition in there.

I haer different reviews on the SVS some good some not so good.
But,this is tough but as in my post I am at the EP500 or am going to look into the Seismic 12 from Paraxxxx. These two would fit perfect and not even noticeable. 14" cub, but the EP500 is only 3" bigger in width and a nice HG Cherry would look really good. I could start with one. How much really .... is there a difference in an EP500 and the others. There can't be that much can there ? I know one thing the support at Axiom is really excellent and I guess that goes along way.
I want a sub that can be tight when called opon, but low and rumbling when it is needed without breaking up. I want it like when the bass drum kik is heard on Alanis Myles song "Love IS" or the Eagles Live in Melbourne " New Kid in Town" or "Life in the Fast Lane" it is tight and it hits you in the chest like your being hit with an air wave shot, yet low enough in movie sceens that require that low bass rumbly sound that the air around you seems to move. Kinda like in Twister when the tornado goes by or over head lose and low and trembly.
Posted By: jakeman Re: Sub ... if you had a choice - 03/13/07 06:44 PM
Quote:

I want a sub that can be tight when called opon, but low and rumbling when it is needed without breaking up. I want it like when the bass drum kik is heard on Alanis Myles song "Love IS" or the Eagles Live in Melbourne " New Kid in Town" or "Life in the Fast Lane" it is tight and it hits you in the chest like your being hit with an air wave shot, yet low enough in movie sceens that require that low bass rumbly sound that the air around you seems to move. Kinda like in Twister when the tornado goes by or over head lose and low and trembly.

Nice description of an EP500.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Sub ... if you had a choice - 03/14/07 12:49 AM
I agree that what you want sounds like my EP500.
Posted By: axiom_man Re: Sub ... if you had a choice - 03/14/07 04:14 PM
yeh, and really it is only 1" wider than a seismic 12
© Axiom Message Boards