Axiom Home Page
Posted By: petro55 Axiom Amp - 03/21/07 11:17 PM
Any new news on the axiom amp coming out? I am in the market and want to see what the deal is.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: Axiom Amp - 03/22/07 05:21 AM
We wish we knew too.

What I can tell you though...it will be worth the wait.
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: Axiom Amp - 03/22/07 12:43 PM
there was a poll recently for its logo
http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=162265&an=0&page=0

this probably means it's still moving along.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Axiom Amp - 03/22/07 04:38 PM
If the Axiom team is indeed checking up on this thread, may I make a suggestion for this amp?

Instead of just having one high end amp, perhaps make an additional lower end amp that can deliver less power to the speakers. Since I heard that this amp will be around $3500, right there is puts it out of my options for a separate.

As well, as audioholics stated that the power can be directed into 1 channel if needed, a lower end amp would make sense to sell to those with a 5.1 system (not needing extra power for the rears but the power could still be available if they wanted), if a lower amp is indeed designed, all it would really need to push is the best system that Axiom has to offer (the M80s, dual VP150s (3ohm) and QS8s (6ohm)). From what I read on the audioholics site, this amp can drive MUCH more than that system easily.

If there was a model with half the power for $1700USD? I might consider that. Not sure if that is an option, but its worth asking! Axiom could also reduce the cost by cutting it down to 7 channels instead of 8

Perhaps the 8th channel is meant to power a separate sub that hasn't been released yet by Axiom? A sub with no internal amp? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Any suggestions on a lower end amp from the rest of you? Would that be something that Axiom owners would purchase?
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom Amp - 03/22/07 05:42 PM
I'm very interested in an amp from Axiom, but yes, like you, $3500-$4000 puts it out of my price range. I would definitely consider one at around $1700, which is what I'm thinking of spending on an Emotiva.
Posted By: real80sman Re: Axiom Amp - 03/22/07 10:19 PM
I mentioned in another thread that I'd really, really, like to see a 2 channel version with the same output capability. My receiver on it's own is enough for movies, but I desperately need more power when listening to music. And like the rest of the comments, $3500 is an absolute no-sell to the wife.

Reminds me of this ad:

Posted By: Hutzal Re: Axiom Amp - 03/22/07 10:44 PM
The problem surrounding the same output capacity in a 2 channel amp is that it will cost alot still, watts=money.

Since their digital amp can dump the whole load into one channel, a lower end 7 channel amp with half the power of the higher end amp would serve you well, just hook up your 2 channel system and the full power of the amp will divide between your 2 channels, and leave the rest with no power at all.

Sounds like an awsome design to me, very unique and I can't wait to see what develops with this amp. I am crossing my fingers that they have a lower amp (half the price) in the works. But still digital.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Axiom Amp - 03/22/07 11:13 PM
Quote:

Perhaps the 8th channel is meant to power a separate sub that hasn't been released yet by Axiom? A sub with no internal amp? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Or perhaps it is meant for dual center channels and elimnate any questions as to load on an amp, in this more popular by the day set up, now wouldn't you like that.
Posted By: petro55 Re: Axiom Amp - 03/22/07 11:46 PM
It does not make sense to me to try and sell an amp at $3500 to a crowd of people looking at "budget" speakers. I wonder if there was a pole of axiom owners how many people own a $3500+ amp. I always thought it would make sense to budget there amps around the same price as lets say the outlaw amps. I think that might steal alot of buis. from outlaw. BTW outlaw is makeing speakers know.
Posted By: Wid Re: Axiom Amp - 03/23/07 12:18 AM

But yet it makes sense for Outlaw, who makes budget amps, to market a bookshelf speaker at 1K.
Posted By: petro55 Re: Axiom Amp - 03/23/07 02:18 AM
That also makes no sense
Posted By: bridgman Re: Axiom Amp - 03/23/07 05:38 PM
>>Any suggestions on a lower end amp from the rest of you? Would that be something that Axiom owners would purchase?

3 channel, 200-300 WPC for AV receiver owners.
Posted By: Lorenzo1000 Re: Axiom Amp - 03/23/07 06:20 PM
If you want to look on Audiogon, you can look for an Acurus 3 channel amp. Can't remember the model number but it does 3 channels at 200 watts 8 ohms.

ATI also makes some nice amps as well. I have a ATI 1502 that's is 150 x 2 at 8 ohms (with another on the way) but you can run it in mono mode and it becomes a 450 watt 8 ohm monster. You might be able to find a ATI 1506 which is 6 channels at 150 watts 8 ohms or run it as 3 channels 450 watts into 8 ohms. I believe the outlaw amps are based on ATI technology.
Posted By: CosmicVoyager Re: Axiom Amp - 03/23/07 06:32 PM
Quote:

But yet it makes sense for Outlaw, who makes budget amps, to market a bookshelf speaker at 1K.

No doubt
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Axiom Amp - 03/23/07 07:11 PM
Quote:

>>Any suggestions on a lower end amp from the rest of you? Would that be something that Axiom owners would purchase?

3 channel, 200-300 WPC for AV receiver owners.

Totally, I am actually looking at the MPS-1 right now, with 3 monoblocks to drive my mains and my centre channel. The surrounds can be covered by the existing reciever that I have...totally great idea.

I think they may get more sales going with just a 5 channel amp for those that want to drive a full 5 channel system, and those that just want it for 2 or 3 aren't losing any power at all because of the digital design of the amp.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom Amp - 03/23/07 07:24 PM
Quote:

Quote:

No doubt

Wow, talk about deja vu. When I posted about the Outlaw bookshelves earlier today, I had missed this post; just going with info from my Outlaw newsletter...
Posted By: Hansang Re: Axiom Amp - 03/28/07 02:26 AM
Now, that's a funny ad! I don't care who you are....dat dare is fuhnny!
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Axiom Amp - 03/28/07 03:27 AM
Just wandered in here and am I surprised! Do I hear correctly that Axiom is considering producing a 2 channel amp for $3500? Well, how do the folks here who believe that all well designed solid state amps sound the same react to a $3500 price tag on an Axiom amp?

Why do I like Axiom products (I hesitate to characterize my positive feelings in stronger terms because loving things is well ...)? Superb sound quality at a modest price. Any fool can buy great sounding equipment by throwing great wads of money at the problem. The challenge is getting terrific sound quality at a modest price. Axiom's speakers and the related, no longer produced but not forgotten Michaura speakers, are superb. Among the Axioms my personal favorite for 2 channel music is the M3s ... not the M50s, not the M60s or M80s.

So, here's the danger with a $3500 amp ... unless it is a breakthrough product, one which equals or outperforms $20,000 amps, why bother? I have a bunch of amps ... I like amps, I like buying amps, I like finding amps I like. I don't like paying $3500 for an amp. One of my favorite amps cost me $23.00 (TWENTY THREE) maybe it was 21 or 29, but definitely under $30. The digital class D Sonic Impact T-Amp is a 5 wpc (8ohms) wonder. I fooled with it, soldered the connection for a 13.8 volt/5 amp transformer/power supply, an adaptor for RCA plug inputs and it is great. How great? Great ... a magical companion to a pair of M3s or a pair of M22 like Michaura M55s.

Now, you can get a 2 channel tweaked amp using the Tripath 2024 chip for about $120.

That's the Trend Audio TA10 based on the same chip as is the $20+ Sonic Impact T Amp.

Amps are a tough business. When it comes to cost/price, you can't really compete with China for point to point wired tube amps, or solid state amps either.

Axiom's known and loved for value speakers, not high priced electronics.

Here's what I would hope Axiom would do - Pick the best 5 book shelf speakers in the world, at any price, and match them (95%) for well under $700 a pair.

1. an Axiom which sounds like a De Capo Reference 3a de capo i;
2. An Axiom which sounds like a Harbeth;
3. An Axiom which sounds like JM Labs Micro Utopia Be
4. An Axiom which sounds like a Spendor 3/5

Make a speaker with a frequency range 3db 25Hz-80KHz.

Just some thoughts.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: Axiom Amp - 03/28/07 03:44 AM
Just a side note...if you have noticed Axiom doesn't do "lines" of speakers. It goes against their philosophy. All speakers have the same drivers in them. They want to be the best for the money, so why make a whole new line of speakers. If they introduce a whole new line of speakers, why are they selling their old line...is it not good enough?

What Axiom has going for it is a simple selection of speakers that is easy for the customer to understand, yet at the same time provides a great value at each price point.

And, the Axiom amp is 8 channels I believe. Above all...it isn't even released yet. We don't know of a set price.

If anything, something like an M100 might work...with a low frequency response like you said. This is because it would be the "next step up" from an M80.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom Amp - 03/28/07 05:48 AM
It boggles my mind how how, in a significant number of your posts, you're able to:
  1. include a list of your own equipment
  2. include a masturbatory anecdote about how you modified one of said pieces of equipment
  3. both compliment and insult Axiom and/or its products
  4. suggest that Axiom should put aside its design philosophy and make (relatively) cheap knock-offs of speakers you deem worthy of imitation.
Hubris, much?
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: Axiom Amp - 03/28/07 05:52 AM
Well...my original post (above pmbuko's post) included only the following text:

"I feel a storm brewing..."

It said nothing else. I had quite a long message posted but later pruned and edited it appropriately hoping that a storm wouldn't brew. But alas, I'll say it again.

I feel a storm brewing...

It just confuses me how 2x6spds puts M3's (and his tube amp) on a pedestal, whacks away at all other Axiom products, then urges them to create a better M3. Why not just buy another speaker? And...why say the same thing over...and over...and over......

I feel like this thread has been repeated one too many times in the past.

That being said, I hope everyone can move on and ignore appropriate posts and continue on with the topic matter at hand.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Axiom Amp - 03/28/07 06:16 AM
Well pmbuko, sorry if you think talking about M3s or a $20 amplifier is bragging.

I'm a music lover, and do not engage in the sort of self gratification you seem to have a special interest in.

I don't think you can find an insult of any Axiom product in anything I say, unless you consider my preference for the M3s over other Axiom products an insult to those products. But, that wouldn't really be rational, would it?

I don't speak for Axiom's philosophy except to suggest that Axiom makes superb speakers at excellent and modest price points. I wasn't suggesting that Axiom make "cheap knock offs" of my favorite speakers, although I suppose someone with a bargain basement mentality might see it that way. What I was suggesting is that there are wonderful sounding speakers which are even better than the Axioms we know and love ... and that I believe Axiom could build book shelf speakers which can match the smoothness, the timbre, and those distinctively beautiful audio qualities which elevate some Harbeths, some Spendors, the Reference 3a de capo to best-on-the-planet status.

So, pmbuko, I know what your problem is and why you sort of stalk my posts ever since your anti-Israeli and pro suicide bomber screeds you engaged in years past. Why don't you just give it a rest and move along.
Posted By: real80sman Re: Axiom Amp - 03/28/07 08:10 AM
Here is the (older) article about the new amp.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom Amp - 03/28/07 01:09 PM
Laughter really is the best medicine. Thanks, 2x6.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom Amp - 03/28/07 02:55 PM
Quote:

I'm a music lover, and do not engage in the sort of self gratification you seem to have a special interest in.

Never? Ever? I call BS!

Quote:

But, that wouldn't really be rational, would it?

Exactly. Quoting people out of context is fun!

Quote:

So, pmbuko, I know what your problem is and why you sort of stalk my posts ever since your anti-Israeli and pro suicide bomber screeds you engaged in years past.

Dang! I always wondered what I missed from the years prior to joining up with you wild ones. Little did I know ...
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Axiom Amp - 03/28/07 03:03 PM
Quote:

Just wandered in here and am I surprised! Do I hear correctly that Axiom is considering producing a 2 channel amp for $3500?

Perhaps you missed the part about the actual amp they are making is 8 channel, for $3500.

We (fellow axiomites) were speculating on them making a 3-5 channel amp for around $1500, and how nice it would be.

Really, you should read all the info before you go ranting
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom Amp - 03/28/07 04:06 PM
You know, I just watched The Caine Mutiny the other night. Good movie. Excellent acting by Humphrey Bogart.
Posted By: AdamP88 Re: Axiom Amp - 03/28/07 04:17 PM
Quote:

So, pmbuko, I know what your problem is and why you sort of stalk my posts ever since your anti-Israeli and pro suicide bomber screeds you engaged in years past.

Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Axiom Amp - 03/28/07 04:29 PM
Thanks Hutzal. I know I came to the conversation late and for some reason thought folks were talking about a 2 channel amp for $3500. 8 channels are certainly a lot of channels and $437.00 per channel is steep but not outrageous.

There are some excellent multichannel amps out there which have been very well received by reviewers such as the Anthem PVA 5 or 7 which MSRPs for about $200 per channel. (105 wpc)

I don't want to provoke Pmbuko by letting on that I can speak from personal experience as to the Anthem PVA 5, and can report that it is a wonderful amp, can be found for less than $200/channel and that I am very pleased with its sound quality, ability to handle difficult material and runs cool.

If the new Axiom amp can top the far more expensive Anthem Statement in price, output, sound and build quality, then the new Axiom would be a bargain.

Anyone know whether Axiom is thinking of building these amps on their own or having them built for them in China?
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Axiom Amp - 03/28/07 04:37 PM
I am not sure of the production location. But this Axiom amp is fully digital and has the ability to dump the whole load into one channel if needed.

It is truly the future of amps and will probably be the benchmark to be beaten. I suggest reading the audioholics article on it to get a better idea of what it is offering.

-Hutz
Posted By: ctk Re: Axiom Amp - 03/28/07 05:01 PM
This is sort of off topic but, does anyone know if the Axiom amp will use the HiQnet "System Architect" software to integrate with other pieces of equipment?
© Axiom Message Boards