Axiom Home Page
Posted By: michael_d Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/16/07 04:33 PM

I’ve got the MX-850 and it’s a great remote. However, it has the old serial cable interface. I’m looking at one of the new Universal MX remotes with USB interface because all my PC’s are now lacking serial, but noticed they have three of the little buggers available now and I really haven’t been keeping up on these things.

I know there is a huge Harmony fan base, but I prefer the PC configuration of the Universal MX series.

Is anyone up on the differences between the new MX remotes? I’m looking at the 810, 900 and 950.
Posted By: Joey Re: Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/16/07 04:41 PM
Harmony remotes are also PC programmable through USB.
I use the 520 (replaced by the 550) and it works great.
Harmony!!! If you watched Chuck the other week, it's "The remote to rule them all." Though I may have misquoted that, I'm sure some LOTR guys will correct me...

I've used 659, 880, 688, and VERY old 700 series. All quite good, except the old one...
Posted By: Murph Re: Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/16/07 05:20 PM
I don't want to ruin the fun of buying something new, but you can buy a USB to serial conversion cable for around 15$
Murph shoots...and SCORES!
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/16/07 05:52 PM
Murph is correct,

Monoprice.com for $9

monoprice
Harmony 880 is what I use and I have no complaints at all. They usually go on sale every three months or so, as well as the rest of the Harmony remotes.
Might need a serial gender changer, too.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/16/07 06:01 PM
I Really like my Pronto TSU7000 remote, Much more than any of the Universal remotes ive used. Its alot more flexible, attractive, and has a very nice color touchscreen. Only downside is the volume and channel buttons on the side are quite small. And unlike the TX1000 you can use it with one hand easily. I have read some bad reviews on them with people saying they break easily or something but so far so good for me.

Theres certainly nothing wrong with the MX900 though. I program about 3 of those things a week and we havent had any problems with them.
I don't like the web interface on the Harmonies. I use a lot of macros. The MX series is complete PC compatable with no web cookie cutter aproach.

I'll have to look for adapters. I don't think a cable would work, but if they make an adapter that the serial side of the cable can plug into that would be way cool.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/16/07 06:27 PM
 Originally Posted By: mdrew

I'll have to look for adapters. I don't think a cable would work, but if they make an adapter that the serial side of the cable can plug into that would be way cool.

They sell what your looking for at walmart. I bought one for about 15 or 20 bucks its a male usb on one end and the female serial on the other.

It didnt seem to work very well though...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/16/07 06:29 PM
Hmm. The ones I have at work work just fine, at least for talking to Cisco equipment. Don't remember the brand, and I don't think they make them any more, but there should be plenty of alterntives out there.
Harmony now has a local client app. A blt less dependent on the web interface.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/16/07 06:54 PM
Except it is the web interface. And it's slow as mud.

I want my damn discreet commands on my stupid DVD changer. Yamaha won't give them to me. Yes, I'm bitter.
Posted By: ctown Re: Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/16/07 10:33 PM
Anybody have experience with a Harmony 659?? I'm just wondering what is the main difference between that and the 880. Other than one is rechargeable.

Can pickup a 659 pretty reasonably right now, but if it eats batteries often then I would rather consider the rechargable...but the 880 is a lot more.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/16/07 10:50 PM
I have the 676, which is pretty much the same as the 659, barring button moves. I prefer the 676's button position to just about any of the other remotes, including the 880. The 880s buttons are far too similar, especially if you're doing it by feel.
The 676 does just about everything I want it to, with a minimum of fuss. Like I was complaining about, I want discreet codes for disc selection and ff/rev on my DVD changer, but that's not really Harmony's fault.
Posted By: aham23 Re: Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/17/07 02:07 AM
http://www.universalremote.com/pro/products.php

the best all around remote i have ever seen is my mx-500. still going strong some 4 years later. the mx line is sturdy well built remote. the harmony may be bit more userfriendly, but it will not last as long.

later.
This new reciever of mine has more functions than my MX850 has buttons and screens. It looks as if I really do need a new remote now.

Anyone have the MX810 or 900? I do not like touch screens or those big fat square boxes like the Pronto or MX3000.
Posted By: Hansang Re: Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/17/07 11:34 PM
 Originally Posted By: mdrew
This new reciever of mine has more functions than my MX850 has buttons and screens. It looks as if I really do need a new remote now.

Anyone have the MX810 or 900? I do not like touch screens or those big fat square boxes like the Pronto or MX3000.

I have a MX900 and I *LOVE* it. I tried a lot of universal remotes and I always had to have the other remotes lying around for some reason or another. 900 totally removed every other remote.

It feels very nice when you hold it. The button layout is orders of magnitude better than Harmony series. I have the 800 series Harmony in my other place and I can't stand the small buttons.

all the important hard buttons are there. For example : menu, guide, info, exit, mute and prev channels. The skip- and skip+ is nice as well.
Posted By: ctown Re: Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/18/07 05:23 PM
Thanks for the info. The MX900 looks like it will do everything that the Harmony's will, but I looked at a couple places online and its 3x the price of a 659 and twice the price of an 880 right now.

Unless its 2 or 3 times better than those, I'll probably be going Harmony.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/18/07 11:02 PM
Mike, I'm in a situation similar to yours. My current computer doesn't have a serial connection. I'm still using my old computer, which does, to program my 850.

I don't know much about the 810, 900, and 950, but to add to your confusion ;\) Universal Remote is just shipping a new model, the MX-980. Here is some info about it at Remote Central. If you'll click on the Talk about the MX-980 & MRF-260! link at the bottom of the web page, you'll find more recent info on the 980 at the Remote Central Forum. There is also a wealth of info about the other Universal Remote remotes at Remote Central and it's forum.

The 980 is pretty expensive, but remember, if you ask about discounts at Surf Remote Control when the 980 is available there, chances are good you'll be able to get it for substantially less than MSRP.

Also a google search will turn up more comprehensive info on the 980.
Posted By: Hansang Re: Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/19/07 03:49 AM
 Originally Posted By: ctown
Thanks for the info. The MX900 looks like it will do everything that the Harmony's will, but I looked at a couple places online and its 3x the price of a 659 and twice the price of an 880 right now.

Unless its 2 or 3 times better than those, I'll probably be going Harmony.

For me, it's not even a close contest. To be fair, Harmony does maintain state for TOAD's (Toggle Only Actuated Device), but for me it's not even close.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/19/07 04:48 AM
The Harmony is tough to beat at its price. I have 2 of them.
I just saw that Jack. The 980 looks like the remote to get. I'll have to see what Mike and surf remote is going to sell it for (I buy all my remotes from him).
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/20/07 02:25 AM
Hi Mike - been awhile.

I spoke to Mike last Friday (he doesn't have th e980 yet). I wanted to replace my 700 with a second 850 (I guess you can see where my head is at).

There are some simple solutions to the serial thing.

First, a serial card for the PC is dirt cheap and easy to install.

Second, there are USB > Serial Adapters that are available (and a bunch that don't work very well). I asked Mike what adapters are bullet proof and he gave two places to look . First, the Belkin F5U109, second - Keyspan products.

I don't know anything about the monoprice cable shown above.

Hope it helps.
Ray, you are one of the most helpful unemployed people I know.

\:D
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/20/07 04:24 PM
Why, thank you Tom! I gotta tell you - this retirement thing is the nuts! I recommend it to everybody.
Posted By: aham23 Re: Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/20/07 07:36 PM
i was just surfing around and found mountsandmore.com has the mx900 fairly cheap. i know a lot of folks over at AVSForum recommend this site for PJ mounts. i have no experience with them. so, just an FYI kind of thing. later.
Posted By: gmorf33 Re: Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/21/07 05:17 AM
so... if i was able to get an mx-650 for $130 shipped.. those better than the harmony 880's? I definately like the layout on the mx-650 better. Hmm, I need to find a local store that has them so i can see which feels better in the hand.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/21/07 12:55 PM
Gmorf, it's not just which feels better to you in your hand, but how accessible the buttons are when it is in your hand. The thing I love most about my URC MX-85O, is it's ergonomic layout.

In addition to laying comfortably in my hand, the most used buttons, the ones between the screen at the top of the remote, and the numbered buttons at the bottom (volume, channel, previous channel, mute, guide, info, joystick, etc.), are easily accessible by my thumb, meaning that most operations are one handed. It is possible to use the screen buttons and the numbered buttons with just one hand if your hand is big enough, but, to me, using a second hand is a bit more convenient.

I've no real experience with the Harmony, and would not be a bit surprised if they have equally well designed ergonomics. I mention the above merely to remind you to compare the ergonomics of both to see if you have a preference.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/21/07 03:08 PM
Today's best out-of-context quote:

Quote:
it's not just which feels better to you in your hand

Quote:
easily accessible by my thumb

Coming up next on the Axiom network: Beavis and Butthead debate port size with Bigjohn.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/21/07 06:37 PM
It must be terrible to go through life with every comment one hears being evaluated and dissected by one's testosterone.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/21/07 07:45 PM
 Originally Posted By: Ajax
... most operations are one handed ... if your hand is big enough, but, to me, using a second hand is a bit more convenient.

Braggart!
Posted By: Hansang Re: Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/21/07 10:17 PM
 Originally Posted By: Ajax
[snip]
I've no real experience with the Harmony, and would not be a bit surprised if they have equally well designed ergonomics. I mention the above merely to remind you to compare the ergonomics of both to see if you have a preference.

It's not even close. Harmony buttons along the LED screen are beyond horrible. It's tiny and it's very hard to operate by feel alone. It's not a bad remote; it's just that it's not even close to the URC line.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/22/07 03:05 AM
Well, it really depends on the Harmony. I have no problem operating my 676 by feel. The 880, yeah, I could see that being a big issue.
Posted By: ctown Re: Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/22/07 10:56 PM
Yeah, the 880 looks great and is tempting for $169.00 in Costco in Canada, but I dont like the flat buttons either. I prefer the raised buttons of the 670 (676 looks the same). Probably easier to use one handed while not looking. ;\)
Posted By: jakewash Re: Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/22/07 11:19 PM
I just bought the 676 from Visions, it has a $50 reabate for $88 total.
Posted By: Murph Re: Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/23/07 03:03 PM
Anyone have advice on a cheap RF solution for just a single device. I just want to be able to control two devices really, my Squeezebox and Receiver to my M60s in the living room. Opening the Garden doors makes for music on the deck but I have no control. Even if I could just control the Squeezebox, I'd be happy.

I use a URC 300 in my HT room. I like it a lot but it's overkill for the above.
Posted By: ctown Re: Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/23/07 05:07 PM
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
I just bought the 676 from Visions, it has a $50 reabate for $88 total.

Yeah, I just saw that and am wondering if its not much different from the 670 for PVR use? If its close I am gonna get one too. Just gotta find out how the 676 compares to the 670.
Posted By: DSQ Re: Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/23/07 06:20 PM
Dell Canada has Harmony remotes too; they currently have the 670 with 4 rechargeable batteries for $99.99 with zero shipping.

I understand that this model is designed for PVR users, but does it have any limitations that would make it less suitable for regular home theatre use?
Posted By: ctown Re: Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/23/07 11:24 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I think I'm gonna get one.
Posted By: ctown Re: Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/24/07 02:13 AM
I dont know if the 670 has any limitations for regular home theatre. I just ordered one from Dell.

Here is a good site for comparing Harmony remotes. Remote website
Posted By: KC23 Re: Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/25/07 07:10 AM
Had my harmony romote almost 2 years now. I think it is the modle before the 850. Can't remember the number, but it is hand held.

It fricken rocks. My wife was very upset I spent the money on that remote ... until she started using it and realised it replace the other 3 remotes. She has never brought it up again.

It rocks and is wife ... errr significant other and kid proof.

If it got lost I'd buy another in a heart beat.
Posted By: Murph Re: Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/26/07 01:05 PM
My innate geekiness loves being able to label and macro the touchscreen buttons on my URC 300. I'll admit it's hard to hit the correct touch screen button in the dark without turning on the back lighting but the left shoulder angel with the taped up glasses usually beats the stuffing out of the common sense angel on the other shoulder.

I have bought and set up Harmonies for my older and less technical relatives though and it's amazing to see them actually go out and rent movies on their own instead of waiting for one of their kids to visit and run the DVD player.
Posted By: ctown Re: Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/28/07 07:15 PM
 Originally Posted By: ctown
I dont know if the 670 has any limitations for regular home theatre. I just ordered one from Dell.

Had my Harmony 670 for 2 days now and the button layout is great for DVR users. Works with my Motorola 6412 and the rest of my components perfectly.

I could see how this is a great remote for the average user and how some more technical minded users would like something more sophisticated. Probably what the MX's are designed for. It can do everything my Pioneer receiver remote did to manage my receiver functions, but not as conveniently.

The reality is that I replaced 5 remotes with 1 and my wife isnt afraid to watch a movie using the HT if I am not around.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/28/07 11:04 PM
That is the reason I have the Harmony as well. The 676 looks like it would work really well for DVR users too as well as those with sattelite systems. My wife liked the interchangeable faceplate of the 676 compared to the 628, I won't even go into the short comings of the 550.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Time for a new programmable remote….. - 11/28/07 11:26 PM
<---Maroon

I have the 670, not the 676.
© Axiom Message Boards