Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Lohengrin Blue-Ray at 1080i - 07/18/08 10:34 PM
I can't find an answer searching and apologise if this has been covered thoroughly.

I have an older model Mit (WS65311) that is capable of 480i/480p & 1080i through component video. I am using a Pioneer VSX1015TX receiver.

I haven't really given HD much thought since the few times I have seen it on my television is through the HD channels my cable provider puts out and nothing has "wowed" me.

Would a blue-ray player be noticeably better on my set or is this one tech that I should wait on and combine with a future television upgrade?
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Blue-Ray at 1080i - 07/18/08 11:11 PM
Blu-ray should be noticeably better than HD cable broadcasts.
Posted By: Zak Re: Blue-Ray at 1080i - 07/19/08 07:07 AM
Even at 1080i Blu-ray is still amazing.
Maybe you could borrow one from a friend and try it out on your set before buying.
If you know someone with a PS3 or a standalone Blu-ray player you could probably convince them to give you an in-house demo.

Zak
Posted By: Nick B Re: Blue-Ray at 1080i - 07/19/08 01:44 PM
I think that there may be a problem. It sounds like you don't have an hdmi output. So you only have a component video out? If this is the case then the best that you will get is 480p on some discs. This is because the MPAA is so worried about people making copies of Blu-ray disc and component video has no copy protection built in to it. The blu-ray player's are built so that any disc can tell it to limit the output to 480p. It is the choice of the movie studio to limit the output on any disc at any time. I haven't heard much about this lately and I'm not sure it any studio's have chosen to limit the output on any discs. But, you should investigate this before you invest in a new blu-ray player.

Blu-ray will be a huge step up over standard def DVD's. I have a 768p display am still amazed at how good some discs look.

- Nick
Posted By: thefwam Re: Blue-Ray at 1080i - 07/19/08 02:49 PM
nick is right, that token is there for the studios should they ever decide to flip the switch on it. However I too haven't heard much about it since shortly after Blu Ray's release. I don't think you should have any problem with it. Even if the resolution is limited, the experience is still awesome, from the superior sound to the much improved color palette. I agree, see if you can get a buddy to bring a PS3 over or something
Posted By: Murph Re: Blue-Ray at 1080i - 07/21/08 11:48 AM
The best way I can describe the difference is that even people who are not 'into' home theater always comment right away about the big difference in picture quality. it is so noticeable that people who normally couldn't care less find themselves commenting on how impressive it is.

This includes my elderly Dad who's biggest HT concern is that CBC will no longer be using the Hockey Night in Canada them song.
Posted By: vassillios Re: Blue-Ray at 1080i - 07/23/08 09:11 PM
 Originally Posted By: nickboros
I think that there may be a problem. It sounds like you don't have an hdmi output. So you only have a component video out? If this is the case then the best that you will get is 480p on some discs. This is because the MPAA is so worried about people making copies of Blu-ray disc and component video has no copy protection built in to it. The blu-ray player's are built so that any disc can tell it to limit the output to 480p. It is the choice of the movie studio to limit the output on any disc at any time. I haven't heard much about this lately and I'm not sure it any studio's have chosen to limit the output on any discs. But, you should investigate this before you invest in a new blu-ray player.

Blu-ray will be a huge step up over standard def DVD's. I have a 768p display am still amazed at how good some discs look.

- Nick

why would they indicate it can do 1080i over component if it is limited to 480p?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Blue-Ray at 1080i - 07/23/08 10:19 PM
Because it can. They just have the option of not letting you. And it's actually limited to 520p for some reason.
Posted By: thefwam Re: Blue-Ray at 1080i - 07/23/08 10:53 PM
It's the Movie companies being worried about the lack of security over Analog connections. They have faith in the copyright protection over HDMI, but not component, so they have this caveat so that if they are ever scared they can force all Blu Rays to output only 480p over component, presumably since they know that DVD is cracked they just won't let you steal any more than that.

At least that's my understanding, the jerks.
Posted By: Lohengrin Re: Blue-Ray at 1080i - 07/24/08 12:17 AM
You are correct that I do not have HDMI inputs.
I was just wondering how much better (subjective, I know) the picture might be with Blu-Ray.
From what I understand from above, for most releases the picture quality would be improved, in some cases dramatically. Is this a correct reading of the advice?
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Blue-Ray at 1080i - 07/24/08 01:30 AM
I think you've summed it up correctly, some releases are marginally better than standard DVD, but most the Blu-rays I've rented or purchased have been superior.
Posted By: thefwam Re: Blue-Ray at 1080i - 07/24/08 02:16 AM
Agreed, it depends on the source material, but it's amazing what they have done with even some catalog films in the transition to HD. I don't think that the token to limit the output to 480p will be put into use anytime soon, if at all.
Posted By: Capn_Pickard Re: Blue-Ray at 1080i - 07/24/08 01:54 PM
Video quality is definitely better. Jaggies and moire effects largely disappear. Fine details are more distinct. This is more apparent when viewed on screens large than, say 50" or so. Anything under 50" and you've got to be sitting pretty close to the screen to appreciate any difference.

This is often overlooked, (even though I say it a lot it seems) but I found that the audio improvements were similarly impressive. And that doesn't rely on HDMI or the size of your screen. Paired with a set of Axioms, Blu Ray take you one step closer to studio quality sound (as meant to be presented in theaters) in your living room. Be prepared to be blown away by teh sound as much as the video.
Posted By: Lohengrin Re: Blue-Ray at 1080i - 07/24/08 03:26 PM
So let's see if anyone can help with this problem:

I just ordered a 5.1 surround system (M60/EP500) in custom wood and now I need to explain to the boss lady that our 400 disc DVD/SACD player needs a companion. I also have my eye on a 73" Mit DLP (I mean, can you really watch on a 65" anymore?).
Posted By: CV Re: Blue-Ray at 1080i - 07/24/08 03:27 PM
My 60" is feeling the shame.
Posted By: thefwam Re: Blue-Ray at 1080i - 07/24/08 04:29 PM
What does that say about my 50? :*(
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Blue-Ray at 1080i - 07/24/08 04:36 PM
exaggerate much? ;\)
Posted By: medic8r Re: Blue-Ray at 1080i - 07/24/08 04:42 PM
Peter, I'd expect that CV is at least 5 feet tall.
© Axiom Message Boards