Axiom Home Page
Posted By: LRA neeb amp question - 03/19/09 08:01 PM

I need information. In an AVR + amp (for front) setup, is the volume from the AVR still controlling the output of the front? Or, you have to adjust the volume on both AVR and amp each time you want to change it.

that would really be a pain

thanks
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: neeb amp question - 03/19/09 08:02 PM
The AVR would control the volume of the amp!
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: neeb amp question - 03/19/09 08:32 PM
Stand alone amps don't have volume controls. Some of the nicer ones will have a selectable gain and/or a trim, but those are set and forget.

Basically an amp when fed a full line level input will play at full power. The preamp in your AVR will adjust the line output up or down as you control the main volume.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: neeb amp question - 03/19/09 08:36 PM
The receiver controls the processing, volume, etc.. The amplifier just amplifies the signal fed to it by the preouts on the receiver.

Luc, I would not assume you need an amp until you try the receiver as is, you may be suprised.
Posted By: LRA Re: neeb amp question - 03/20/09 12:43 AM
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
The receiver controls the processing, volume, etc.. The amplifier just amplifies the signal fed to it by the preouts on the receiver.

Luc, I would not assume you need an amp until you try the receiver as is, you may be suprised.

agreed, I will try the AVR, but If I have the urge to get one, I will know what I'm getting into.. so far so good.
thanks
Posted By: Adrian Re: neeb amp question - 03/20/09 01:38 AM
I second that, I am amazed at how loud my AVR 2809 goes...so is my neighbour on the other side of the catwalk. ;\)
Posted By: LRA Re: neeb amp question - 03/20/09 02:32 AM
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
I second that, I am amazed at how loud my AVR 2809 goes...so is my neighbour on the other side of the catwalk. ;\)

I know my AVR can play loud but I don't know the limit. I'm hitting my limit before it does. I never went over 0db.
From what I understand, it doesn't really matter how loud it play, what's matter is if it can provide sufficient power to all the speakers in a demanding scene. My needs are not necessary to have a system I can hear from my workplace. I just want it to play well at any volume.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: neeb amp question - 03/20/09 12:00 PM
 Originally Posted By: Adrian

Catwalk? Seriously.... Are you too sexy for your shirt?
Posted By: Adrian Re: neeb amp question - 03/20/09 01:29 PM
....I'm too sexy for Milan, New York or Japan....
Posted By: medic8r Re: neeb amp question - 03/20/09 01:46 PM
I karaoked that song at the hospital Christmas party a few years back. In front of 100 people.
Posted By: Adrian Re: neeb amp question - 03/20/09 01:52 PM
I'm sure that was a "Kodak Moment".
Posted By: CV Re: neeb amp question - 03/20/09 03:23 PM
 Originally Posted By: medic8r
I karaoked that song at the hospital Christmas party a few years back. In front of 100 people.

Do you think you're too sexy to ever try it again, or can we count on it happening at the big Axiom meet?
Posted By: davekro Re: neeb amp question - 03/27/09 05:51 PM
 Originally Posted By: CV
Do you think you're too sexy to ever try it again, or can we count on it happening at the big Axiom meet?

Hey, is the big west coast Axiom Get Together going to be in Vegas, Reno or Richland this year? ;\)
© Axiom Message Boards