Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Riker Sub demo movie - 12/09/09 04:14 PM
What is the first movie you reach for when you want to impress your friends with your EP500 or 600 or 800 ? Looking for movies that really show off the sub.
Posted By: BWeasner Re: Sub demo movie - 12/09/09 04:26 PM
Prologue to Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
The remake of War of the Worlds (one with Tom Cruise)
First and last 30 minutes of Saving Private Ryan
First 10 minutes of Toy Story 2

Those are my personal choices...I know that I have lots more, but I'm having a brain-freeze right now. I will add more as I think of them.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Sub demo movie - 12/09/09 04:30 PM
In addition to those good choices, one that I like to show "tight bass impact" is King Kong's breathing (when he expels air in short bursts). It not a violent impact from the sub, but it impresses people as it feels so real.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Sub demo movie - 12/09/09 04:33 PM
Finding Nemo Whale or Darla Tap scene.
Posted By: Ascension Re: Sub demo movie - 12/09/09 04:36 PM
Transformers Ironhide flip scene and Starscream firing at both Ironhide and Ratchet.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Sub demo movie - 12/09/09 04:57 PM
In addition to the above:

Ironman - The final battle scenes

U571 - Depth charge scene

The Eagles Farewell Tour: Live from Melbourne - Dirty Laundry
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Sub demo movie - 12/09/09 05:13 PM
Anyone with a good sub watch Terminator: Salvation yet? I loved the sound design in the movie when I saw it in theaters. I've not bought a copy yet (I'm a Terminator buff, so it doesn't matter what everyone else thinks, I enjoy everything in that universe); I'm waiting until I have a new sub to watch it again.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Sub demo movie - 12/09/09 05:17 PM
I am waiting to watch any action movie till I am in the new house, have to give it the proper shake down \:\)
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Sub demo movie - 12/09/09 05:35 PM
Chris, watched it the other night upstairs in my new living room theater (M22's and EP350), the sub was a rocking....

I'm guessing when I watch it downstairs with the EP600 and other 350 it will sound awesome.
Posted By: JonHan Re: Sub demo movie - 12/09/09 06:48 PM
Give "Master and Commander" opening cannon salvos and the sandpit scene in "Spiderman III" a try.
Posted By: Hansang Re: Sub demo movie - 12/10/09 12:24 AM
Flight of the Phoenix, sand storm scene. Pretty impressive!
The "Skidoosh" scene at the end of Kung Fu Panda. If your sub sucks, it will completely bottom out! Short but impressive.
Posted By: StuntGibbon Re: Sub demo movie - 12/10/09 04:27 AM
I'd recommend Blu-Ray for all of these:

Monsters Inc. (the sock explosion)

Master and Commander (cannon attack scene)

Live Free or Die Hard (Die Hard 4) - Really any action scene.

Terminator Salvation (again, any action scene)

Transformers 2 has some serious bass. (just start the movie, and then any of the robot battles)
Posted By: grunt Re: Sub demo movie - 12/10/09 07:03 AM
I loved the audio in “Terminator: Salvation” on Blu-ray. You should check out the “So what ‘animie’ are you watching tonight?” thread more often. ;\)

Originally Posted By: grunt

Where this movie really shines is the soundtrack. The best workout my sound system has ever had. It’s got everything, big bass, all sorts of direct and ambient sound effects. It’s pretty much going on all the time so it’s not just a few scenes here and there that benefit but almost the whole movie.

So I second or third . . . whatever we’re up to “Terminator: Salvation” especially considering it’s not just one or two good bass scenes it’s all through the movie.
Posted By: grunt Re: Sub demo movie - 12/10/09 07:09 AM
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
I am waiting to watch any action movie till I am in the new house, have to give it the proper shake down \:\)

Been there and doin it now. After re-watching a movie I realized I’m going to have many movies I need to go back and watch again now that I can play them at a “reasonable” volume. ;\)
Posted By: lucv13 Re: Sub demo movie - 12/10/09 07:20 AM
The movie I like to use to set up a new sub is Jurassic Park 3 in dts - also use it to show off, everything just rattles and you feel them walking in the pit of your stomach it's just awesome
Posted By: BigHonu Re: Sub demo movie - 12/10/09 09:45 AM
Transformers 2
Pretty much any action scene.

Iron Man
Cave battle

Star Trek
When all the starships are heading into warp.

Incredible Hulk
Sonic cannons
Posted By: StuntGibbon Re: Sub demo movie - 12/11/09 03:15 AM
Adding another one after screening the Blu-Ray for Public Enemies. There's a gunfight in the woods after around 1 hr 25 mins... awesome sound. Also some other fun shootouts, and a point where a train comes into the station for a shaking effect.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Sub demo movie - 12/11/09 03:24 AM
Star Wars Episode 2 (DVD)
Lord of the Rings Trilogy (DVD)
The Dark Night (Blu-ray)
Iron Man (Blu-ray)
Master and Commander (Blu-ray)
Kung Fu Panda (Blu-ray)
Transformers (Blu-ray)
I, Robot (Blu-ray)
Posted By: StuntGibbon Re: Sub demo movie - 12/11/09 03:28 AM
Maybe I'm fooling myself, but there's a definite upgrade in the sound/bass output on my system with the BRD versions. This is why I'd leave out some of the the typical recommendations of Star Wars, Jurassic Park, LOTR and War of the Worlds until those show up on BRD (for showpiece demonstrations of your system, anyway.)
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Sub demo movie - 12/11/09 03:32 AM
I would also add Valkyrie (Blu-ray) and Black Hawk Down (Blu-ray) to reference material.
Posted By: StuntGibbon Re: Sub demo movie - 12/11/09 03:34 AM
I forgot about Valkyrie. We're not the biggest Tom Cruise fans around here, so it kinda dropped off radar. Will definitely netflix it.
Posted By: Micah Re: Sub demo movie - 12/11/09 03:49 AM
Valkyrie, oh yeah! I saw it at the movies but haven't watched it at the house yet. I can't wait to see the Wolf's Lair scene... when I get a sub that is. An oldie but a goodie is 'Pearl Harbor'... mind you I only watched that movie in the basement of my old house on regular DVD, but the airplane scene's are wicked good. Bombs going off all over the place, good stuff.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Sub demo movie - 12/11/09 04:13 AM
If you don't own Fight Club on DVD pick it up on Blu-ray. Lots of good sales on this BD this holiday season for this excellent movie. Some good LFE moments as well since this thread deals with bass...mmmmm fish.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Sub demo movie - 12/11/09 04:22 AM
The mid-air-collision in Fight Club should be pretty impressive, my little sub really complained about that scene.
Posted By: CV Re: Sub demo movie - 12/11/09 05:42 AM
 Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
The mid-air-collision in Fight Club should be pretty impressive, my little sub really complained about that scene.

Yeah, pretty nice. I'll have to throw it in again for a couple of scenes this weekend.
Posted By: StuntGibbon Re: Sub demo movie - 12/11/09 06:53 AM
I totally forgot about that scene... going in the cart!
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Sub demo movie - 12/11/09 06:07 PM
Cloverfield (Blu-ray) - I need to see this one
Live Free or Die Hard (Blu-ray)
Hellboy 2 (Blu-ray)
Posted By: Potatohead Re: Sub demo movie - 12/11/09 06:54 PM
 Originally Posted By: Dr.House
I would also add Valkyrie (Blu-ray) and Black Hawk Down (Blu-ray) to reference material.

I've been saying for weeks that Valkyrie is great. The scene with his family in the bomb shelter has great bass, tight and hard hitting.
Posted By: StuntGibbon Re: Sub demo movie - 12/11/09 07:06 PM
Orphanage also has really amazing audio, but it's a much more subtle movie and isn't an easy goto for a sub demo. However, some of the creeks and groans in the house do some really intense stuff with the bass.
Posted By: Eno Re: Sub demo movie - 12/13/09 05:40 PM
The Matrix (esp. the chopper explosion for sub effect)
Posted By: rprice54 Re: Sub demo movie - 12/21/09 04:27 AM
I had good effect with some of the ship battles in the first Pirates of the Carribean. When the kids are up we watch the opening scene from Bolt to show off. I've heard the Master and Commander opening battle scene is a good one, I'm saving that for when I get the theater fully up and running and configured- right now we're in the trim/paint stage...

I like the bass in the music from the Morpheus vs. Neo battle in the first Matrix- as well as all the punches.
Posted By: mpyw Re: Sub demo movie - 12/21/09 09:58 AM
The latest LFE demo of the year is:-

Terminator Salvation from 00:38 onwards the petrol station scene

Rock the house and massage your body by the couch :p
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Sub demo movie - 12/21/09 02:43 PM
I gave in, and watched a bit of Salvation this weekend. Even with my crap Sony sub, things were rocking. I fear what a real sub would do with this movie. Oh, and it's actually better on second viewing--just need some time to actually sit down and watch the rest.
Posted By: Murph Re: Sub demo movie - 12/30/09 06:14 PM
Finally watched Kung Fu Panda. Man there was more LFE than not in that movie.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Sub demo movie - 12/30/09 06:19 PM
Yeah, I remember that one "I love Kung FUUUUUUUU!!!".

I also like The Dark Knight because whenever Batman punches someone in the gut, they throw in LFE. So there's lots of LFE in that one, ha ha.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Sub demo movie - 01/02/10 10:21 PM
 Originally Posted By: Murph
Finally watched Kung Fu Panda. Man there was more LFE than not in that movie.

I have been saying that for a long time around here ;\) . The latest thing that I have heard that can kick some serious LFE ass is the special feature on Sleeping Beauty Blu-ray called Dragon Encounter.
Posted By: BigHonu Re: Sub demo movie - 01/03/10 07:47 AM
Gotta agree with Terminator Salvation for some house rocking LFE's. The battle at the 7-Eleven made the dishes in my kitchen rattle.

Opening scene of Star Wars Attack of the Clones when Amidala's ship is flying in. Got some decent rumble there as well.
Posted By: Micah Re: Sub demo movie - 01/03/10 04:43 PM
I have to give a shout out to the cave scene in 'Ironman'. After all it kicked off the whole debacle with my EP800 in style. When an EP800 has problems with a scene, you know there's some serious LFE going on boys and girls!

Also, being a big Quentin Tarantino fan, I can tell you that LFE lurks ominously around in his soundtracks. The chase scene in 'Resevior Dogs' where the cops are running down Mr. Pink and as he turns the corner he unloads his entire clip into their general direction... turn that scene up when the old lady isn't paying attention and she'll hit the deck trying to escape the burglar who just broke into your home and opened fire on her!!!
Posted By: Listener Re: Sub demo movie - 01/03/10 05:47 PM
I found the beginning scene in Serenity (FireFly) has enough LFE to pop my old ep350. It is the scene which convinced me I needed to upgrade to the 500.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Sub demo movie - 01/03/10 07:54 PM
 Originally Posted By: Micah
After all it kicked off the whole debacle with my EP800 in style. When an EP800 has problems with a scene, you know there's some serious LFE going on boys and girls!
I think it only had problems with that scene because it had problems with the amp design, as we have found out. My PB13 has no difficulty with those scenes ;\) \:\) But you are correct the cave scene is a great demo scene.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Sub demo movie - 01/04/10 02:31 AM
Dreamworks release of the Time Machine blew up my Kenwood SW300 subwoofer. I don't remember whether it enflatulated before it exploded or the other way around.
© Axiom Message Boards