Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ya_basta Plasma TV "break-in" is a myth? - 01/14/10 10:29 PM
I just came across this post on AVS by Doug Blackburn, who is a very well respected calibrator. I thought some of you with new plasma TV's would benefit from his insight.

"You should run the pattern disc exactly Zero hours. There is NOTHING the disc does that helps anything. "Break-in" is sheer AVS hogwash. Simply use common sense for the first 100 hours or so: minimize programs with black bars (a movie now and then is no problem); avoid long sessions with stationary graphics on the screen (news channels, games, etc.). Use normal settings for the TV -- neither too bright or too dark. Nothing you do will prevent early will prevent burn-in... NOTHING. If you do something bad enough to cause burn-in it doesn't matter if the TV has 5 hours or 5000 hours on it (with anal use of the burn-in disc)... you are still going to have a burned-in TV on your hands. Nothing you do early on will stop image retention either. Your TV will ALWAYS be susceptible to burn-in and image retention. It is a plasma and current plasma technology has not eliminated these undesirable characteristics and no break-in disc will EVER change that in ANY way.

That said, the phosphors in your plasma TV will change somewhat during the first 100-200 hours, but they are going to change exactly the same way no matter what means you use to put 100-200 hours on the panel. You can simply watch TV like a normal person (avoiding over-doing any of the things mentioned above), or you can uselessly rack up 100-200 hours on the TV and DVD player with a break-in disc and end up at EXACTLY the same place either way. "Break-in" discs are AVS paranoia/hysteria run amok."

He is absolutely right about the hype built up about burn in discs; I got sucked in, and was extremely worried, I just wish I got his opinion before wasting at least 100 hours running said disc. Not only because of its limited or zero effect, but also because it racked up my hydro bill an unbelievable amount when I was running my plasma TV for days on end.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Plasma TV "break-in" is a myth? - 01/14/10 10:47 PM
I had a noticeable difference in image retention between 5 hours and 100 hours. But that's not the reason I ran the images. It's the second part. To get all the pixels through their most rapid change period at the same time. Yes, all pixels will eventually have 100 hours on the clock. But I was wanting my display to have the most constant picture as soon as possible. Using a burn-in procedure will do that. I'd be afraid to leave my TV on any station for 100 hours, because they all have those bugs in the lower right, I don't need my panel branded with Siffy's logo.
Posted By: Wid Re: Plasma TV "break-in" is a myth? - 01/14/10 11:19 PM
I never did do break in with my TV although as stated above I did use a bit of common sense.

BTW Cam, what has become of your TV problem?
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Plasma TV "break-in" is a myth? - 01/14/10 11:30 PM
Cam has a V chip?
Posted By: Wid Re: Plasma TV "break-in" is a myth? - 01/14/10 11:41 PM

Posted By: Potatohead Re: Plasma TV "break-in" is a myth? - 01/14/10 11:49 PM
I have had three plasmas, the first was more than four years ago I bought it. I purchased it the same day the X360 launched and gamed on that thing from hour one, watched it with black bars, all of that, and I never had a single issue. Same with the other two later sets as well. I think it was more of an issue with the first few generations, the only brand I hear still having this issue is LG (mine have been a Toshiba which was a re-badged Panasonic, and two Panasonics).
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Plasma TV "break-in" is a myth? - 01/15/10 12:16 AM
Rick, my TV ended up going in for repairs (adjusting the V scan) which was a long ordeal. I ended up calling Samsung while it was being repaired, and I was told that I was going to get a refund or replacement. After calling them at least a dozen times to try to get to the bottom of it, they then told me that my set was fixed and ready for delivery. So, they returned my TV even though the service tech didn't come across on the phone like he was 100% sure that the problem was fixed.

When I got the TV back, I checked it out with them here, and told them that it is better but I can still see some snow. He then told me to try it for a while and see what I think, as they had done everything Samsung told them to do. Long story short, I noticed a week or so before the holidays that it was back to where it was when I originally complained, and now it's in the shop as we speak.

Samsung's customer support is absolutely horrendous and the worst I've ever dealt with. Not only that, but they don't know what the heck they're talking about!
Posted By: Adrian Re: Plasma TV "break-in" is a myth? - 01/15/10 03:08 AM
Sorry to hear about the on-going problems your having with the TV, Cam. That's terrible customer service on Samsung's behalf.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Plasma TV "break-in" is a myth? - 01/15/10 03:43 AM
 Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
I don't need my panel branded with Siffy's logo.

I see what you did there. \:D
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Plasma TV "break-in" is a myth? - 01/15/10 05:05 AM
Plasma break-in is not a myth, my eyes can tell the difference, or maybe it is my eyes breaking in.
Posted By: Potatohead Re: Plasma TV "break-in" is a myth? - 01/15/10 05:46 PM
Wow, I just noticed I didn't even read the thread title correctly... I thought it sais "burn-in", not "break-in."
Posted By: Wid Re: Plasma TV "break-in" is a myth? - 01/15/10 05:49 PM

Sorry to hear of the difficulties you're having with Samsung Cam. There's no excuse to treat folks like that.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Plasma TV "break-in" is a myth? - 01/15/10 07:53 PM
The most ridiculous part is that "supposedly" the person that told me I was supposed to get a refund/replacement isn't even authorized to replace a unit. Basically what was happening (or so I was told) was that every other customer service representative I spoke to after originally being told I would get a replacement/refund, was just reading from the notes on the computer, not getting further confirmation. After all the aforementioned phone calls, and no return phone calls for a week and a half, I didn't get past tier one support until I told them that I was going to get my lawyer involved. After I said that, they immediately put me through to a tier three representative, and then he informed me that my TV was ready and that I never should have been told by the representative I was getting a replacement/refund. At tier three, he said that he wasn't even authorized to give that authorization.

So now I wait again. My TV has been in the shop a week today, and haven't received a phone call from the repair shop or Samsung; surprise surprise.
Posted By: RayLewis Re: Plasma TV "break-in" is a myth? - 01/15/10 08:31 PM
Interesting timing on this thread. I recently bought a new plasma and was planning on breaking it in as discussed on AVS forum. I was planning on doing that to make sure the pixels break in consistently, not to avoid burn in. Interesting that the break in disk idea is being questioned.

On that front, anyone have thoughts on how to find someone to calibrate the tv? I was going to try to do it myself, but after reading about it on AVS I decided there is no way I'll get it "right," and even if by some miracle I did get it "right" I'd never believe I did anyway and always wonder whether I'm getting the "best" picture. I'm in Washington, DC, and the TV is a 50 inch Pioneer Elite (one with ISFccc). I saw a list of calibrators on AVS, but wasn't sure if that was the best way to go. I figure once I find someone to do the calibration, I'll simply ask that person whether I should do the break-in disk thing.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Plasma TV "break-in" is a myth? - 01/15/10 08:42 PM
Unless you know someone personally which has the equipment to do a proper calibration, and you trust them to do a good job, AVS's calibrator list is probably the best source.

Indeed, contact the person who you find. Ask them what they think of a break/burn-in procedure. If you or they do believe that the panel does change over the first 100-200 hours, it would probably be best to get the set through that time, and let it settle a bit before attempting a fine calibration.

When the calibrator is there, watch what he's doing. Ask questions, get explanations of what each step is accomplishing. Most calibrators are also enthusiasts, and will be happy to talk about the improvements which are being made. That'll also help you be reassured that the work being done is helping.
Posted By: RickF Re: Plasma TV "break-in" is a myth? - 01/15/10 08:48 PM
Ray I found some helpful calibration numbers for our TV on this site ... TweakTV.com. They didn't have my exact model calibration numbers but they did have the numbers for a smaller set ... I used online calibration numbers for all of the TVs in our house, worked for me!
Posted By: RayLewis Re: Plasma TV "break-in" is a myth? - 01/15/10 09:01 PM
Thanks gentlemen.

Rick: They have a bunch of calibration numbers for my TV posted on AVS. However, the Pioneer I bought apparently is pretty sophisticated when it comes to calibration. The best I can make of it, I'd have to take all sorts of steps that I don't really understand to get the full benefit of that sophistication. I'm just not particularly competent with electronics and computers. Ultimately, I figure I'll just enjoy the TV more if I think I'm seeing the best picture, even if dropping the $300 really made little or no difference. That, at least, is my rationalization thus far. Still trying to think of others I can possibly believe (got a good price on the TV; will take a lot of time to just get the new receiver set up, much less the stupid TV; I work hard and deserve it), but have failed.

I'll let folks know what the person I end up using says about the break in and other general impressions.
Posted By: RickF Re: Plasma TV "break-in" is a myth? - 01/15/10 09:15 PM
Ray I'm no means a competent person regarding electronics or computers either, you know we're a minority on this site? Cool, I do have common grounds with somebody here. \:\)

I would suggest though, write down the numbers and/or have the calibrator show you how to get the TV back to his numbers if for some reason the TV defaults back to the factory settings. Our TV and my AVR defaults to *some* factory settings whenever we have a power failure and I always have to go back and re-enter the data ... a PIA sometimes.

I'll be interested with what the calibrator says.
Posted By: RayLewis Re: Plasma TV "break-in" is a myth? - 01/15/10 09:18 PM
Thanks Rick. That was actually going to be one of my questions for the calibrator--when we lose power (an event which is not infrequent in my home), how do I get the settings back to the TV. If I can't do that, there is no point in paying for the calibration in the first place.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Plasma TV "break-in" is a myth? - 01/15/10 09:18 PM
I'm pretty sure I've read the list on AVS, and as Chris mentioned, it's a good resource. The most important thing is that you make sure that they are ISF certified. Here's a direct link to the ISF website where you can search for a calibrator near you.
Posted By: Wid Re: Plasma TV "break-in" is a myth? - 01/15/10 09:20 PM

I used the same site as Rick for my Samsung. I'm sure a pro could do better but for the money I'll keep it this way.
Posted By: RickF Re: Plasma TV "break-in" is a myth? - 01/15/10 09:25 PM
I'm curious to know what a professional calibrator would do different from entering the numbers one can find on the internet?

Cam I believe Jack (Ajax) has his TV(s) calibrated with an ISF certified calibrator?
Posted By: RayLewis Re: Plasma TV "break-in" is a myth? - 01/15/10 09:33 PM
Thanks Wheelz. That link is very helpful.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Plasma TV "break-in" is a myth? - 01/15/10 09:34 PM
Every set varies slightly, so what is the right numbers for one display may not be for another. Also professional calibrators will put the set into service mode (or ISF mode), and use a colormeter to adjust the gray scale tracking. This can't be done from the "setup" menu, nor by eye, but is required to get that last tenth of image quality from a display.

I know for a fact that Pioneer does adjust the voltage drive for each panel individually in the factory (and this setting should never be changed if you don't want to drastically shorten the life of the set). That alone makes one set's calibration numbers not applicable to another. Although, the main settings menu is rough enough that the generic settings you find for that will be right (or at least within a click).
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Plasma TV "break-in" is a myth? - 01/15/10 10:25 PM
Another recommendation is to ask the calibrator what specific adjustments they are going to make. I was told by another calibrator "to ask him in advance if he's doing both grey scale, gamma and primary/secondary colors". It's an expensive venture, and should take between 3-4 hours, but it's really the only way to go IMO.

If I could have anyone calibrate my set, it would be Michael Chen or Doug Blackburn . I know Michael has a "tour schedule", and I would imagine Doug does as well. I've personally exchanged emails with both of them, inquiring about various settings for my plasma TV, and both had been extremely helpful. Both are very well respected, and have been recommended to me by a couple users on AVS.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Plasma TV "break-in" is a myth? - 01/15/10 10:43 PM
Hey Rick, I found this website in my "favorites". A professional explains what's involved in calibrating a TV.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Plasma TV "break-in" is a myth? - 01/15/10 10:54 PM
That video was funny. The verbal part was interesting, but I am almost amuzed when someone tapes a TV to show an "image quality"! It's like those commercials showing a TV that has an allegedly better image than your currently one (hence the need for them to sell you a new one). How are you supposed to determine the image is better than your current TV? \:\)
I love to myself make the gag of sending MP3 files recorded in my living room so people can "hear" my sound system in their own home! \:\)
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Plasma TV "break-in" is a myth? - 01/16/10 12:07 AM
I used to play my new speakers for my friends over the phone.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Plasma TV "break-in" is a myth? - 01/16/10 12:09 AM
Funny, Peter was talking about how it would be nice to have Audiobytes in his office today. I offered to call him so he could listen to mine...
Posted By: jakewash Re: Plasma TV "break-in" is a myth? - 01/16/10 06:57 AM
Hey Cam, sorry to hear about the problems you are having with Samsung, but it does make me happy I went with Panansonic for my 58" S1 \:\)
Posted By: fredk Re: Plasma TV "break-in" is a myth? - 01/16/10 12:15 PM
When I came home on Tuesday, my door was ajar and my movies were strewn all over the living room floor. I'm sure it was the plasma next door!
Posted By: fredk Re: Plasma TV "break-in" is a myth? - 01/16/10 12:17 PM
Hey Cam. It sucks when something like this dosn't go well.

I would try to go up the support food chain. Be polite, but firm and keep asking to be passed to a supervisor/manager. The squeeky wheel gets the grease, or in this case maybe a replacement plasma?
Posted By: RickF Re: Plasma TV "break-in" is a myth? - 01/16/10 12:56 PM
 Originally Posted By: fredk
Hey Cam. It sucks when something like this dosn't go well.

I would try to go up the support food chain. Be polite, but firm and keep asking to be passed to a supervisor/manager. The squeeky wheel gets the grease, or in this case maybe a replacement plasma?

Cam that's exactly how I was able to get the six months out of warranty $800 optical engine replaced for free in our Mitsubishi, you have to very firm with the front line.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Plasma TV "break-in" is a myth? - 01/16/10 01:57 PM
Squeeky wheels? I thought Cam had that fixed?
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Plasma TV "break-in" is a myth? - 01/16/10 06:16 PM
 Originally Posted By: EFalardeau
Squeeky wheels? I thought Cam had that fixed?
\:D

Thanks guys. I'm going to give them a call on Monday and voice my displeasure again. I was cordial and very stern the last time I was dealing with them, but I'm definitely not going to put up with as much as I did last time.

I'm good at voicing my opinion. I don't put up with anything relating to my disability, which mainly has to do with accessibility issues, and being a boss, but thankfully has also extended to all aspects of my life.

I'll let you guys know how I make out.
Posted By: RickF Re: Plasma TV "break-in" is a myth? - 01/16/10 06:51 PM
I wouldn't get mad and start calling them a bunch of heathen, no good eff'n rotten bastages ... they'll hang up on you, only pisses you off more. Not that I have any experience partaking in such behavior or anything you know. \:\)

Good luck Cam!
© Axiom Message Boards