Axiom Home Page
Posted By: punisher101 Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/12/10 11:34 PM
Anyone know of a good place to buy a Denon 4310CI in Canada. I can get it off ebay from a US location for $1800 (with includes duties,taxes,etc).

Not concerned about purchasing from an authorized dealer (although it is preferable) a one year warranty that comes with the receiver but I have repair fund that can cover issues if anything arises in the first year.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/13/10 12:08 AM
I would give Audio Video Unlimited a try, they wheel and deal from my own experience. You could also check out Trutone , but I've had better deals from AVU.

Also try Kennedy Hifi in Unionville/Markham, sometimes they have pretty good deals.
Posted By: Freefall Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/13/10 01:28 AM
Does it have to be in Canada? I bought mine on sale at 6th Ave and it was such a good deal it would be worth paying the taxes to bring it into Canada. Even better if you are within driving distance of the boarder and you can ship it to a UPS address in the U.S.
I think I paid around $1400 U.S or a bit less.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/13/10 02:16 AM
6ave has great prices, if you tell them your a member of AVSforum they will give you an additional discount. Not sure how they are shipping to Canada...
Posted By: punisher101 Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/14/10 10:34 PM
Thanks Guys \:\)
Posted By: Adrian Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/15/10 04:40 AM
Let us know what you find.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/15/10 07:49 PM
It was nice meeting you Punisher. I know you said you were thrilled after my audition, and that you were going to purchase the Epic 80 (minus the 500)7.1 system, so keep in touch with everyone and let us know what you purchase.

As I said, you're in good hands on this forum, as there are lots of very knowledgeable folks around.

I was also happy to hear that you didn't find the M80's "bright", which is contrary to what you had heard from people who most likely have never even heard anything from the Axiom line.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/15/10 08:24 PM
bright is good, tells me a speaker is detailed and true.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/15/10 08:57 PM
And smart.
Posted By: Micah Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/15/10 09:00 PM
Ah, another satisfied auditioner eh? Good to hear.

I still remember going over to SRoodes with a few preconcieved notions of my own. After Bob's write up I envisioned symbols crashing so harshly that my ear drums would be ringing for days after the audition. I mean I tried my best to go in there with an open mind about it, but it really is hard to just forget the things you've read about a product. I would say I gave the audition a 30% chance of winning me over, at that point I was truely just going over to see how well the EP800's performed, because I thought at least I might be interested in the subwoofer if the speakers are too shrill for my tastes. It's almost laughable looking back the way I thought they were going to sound.

Then I sat down in this HT, and I suppose I was a bit star struck as this was the coolest thing I'd ever stepped foot inside, but I still didn't know how the M80's were going to sound... the very 1st song Steve played he told me was an example of a 'poorly recorded' track. So immediately I prepared myself to throw my hands over my ears as soon as the music was about to start. But to be honest, that 'poorly recorded' track sounded better than anything I'd ever heard in person... did he play the wrong song?

Nope, the next song he said was an example of a 'well made recording', and indeed it did sound incredible... astonishingly good actually. I couldnt believe my ears, it just had to be his set-up! Then we played some of the music I brought, and again, there are no words to describe how wonderful it all sounded, I was completely blown away, I was not prepared for that level of performance, I'd just never heard anything that magnificent in person. And expecially after reading Bob's report, I just did not expect them to sound that brilliant!

So Quackster is absolutely right, if these are 'bright', then I don't want my speakers any other way. The last test was getting them into my living room and not sounding shrill since I had none of the room treatments Steve had. But I honestly couldn't hear much of a difference at all. They still performed well above the mark I'd expected them to hit.

Simply amazing speakers.
Posted By: SRoode Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/15/10 10:54 PM
Micah, that post made me tear a bit...

I was happy just to have you over, and I planned the recordings to show you good and bad (IMHO) a true neutral speaker would sound. I wanted the playing field level, and that's all I would ever want as a buyer. I wanted you to see the pluses and the minsus of a true neutral speaker.

Your CDs sounded so awesome with the setup, and I only wish you could have stayed longer! With the EP800s (stable and pumping), you have to come back this summer for a real party. Beers, Absinthe, whatever on me!
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/15/10 11:40 PM
Sweet, axiom get together at your place! Hope you have enough beer to make the 700 mile trip worth while \:\)
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/15/10 11:42 PM
Keep in mind that if you buy a denon product from a non authorized dealer that the factory warranty is not honored by denon (or so I've heard)
Posted By: punisher101 Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/16/10 01:55 AM
I will let you guys know when I pick up my Epic 80 System. Still in the process of looking for a new place to live where I can situate my speakers \:\)
Posted By: Micah Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/16/10 03:22 AM
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi
Sweet, axiom get together at your place! Hope you have enough beer to make the 700 mile trip worth while \:\)

Beer??? Just sitting in that Home Theater for a few seconds will make the 700 mile trip worth your while!

But I'll bring enough beer to keep us cool! \:\)
Posted By: jakewash Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/16/10 05:06 PM
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi
Keep in mind that if you buy a denon product from a non authorized dealer that the factory warranty is not honored by denon (or so I've heard)
It is even on Denon's web site.
Posted By: punisher101 Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/16/10 09:47 PM
Well let's put it this way on ebay I can find a Denon 4310CI for $1700 CDN (unit+delivery+duties,etc) minus the one year warranty because this is not from an "authorized dealer".

If I drop by my local authorized Denon dealer its $2000+. So I'm paying $300 for a one year warranty. I'd rather save that money for a year coverage and take my chances. After a year If I run into any problem I have to pay Denon anyways for any repairs.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/16/10 09:52 PM
I like the way you think.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/16/10 11:53 PM
yup, makes sense to me.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/17/10 01:56 AM
Hey guys, I talked to punisher very briefly when he was over for the addition, and he noticed that I had the 3808, then mentioned that he was going to get the 4310, but only mentioned the one extra HDMI port as his reason. I told him that the 3808 may suit him better, but we didn't talk about what other options he found beneficial over the 3808. What are the big differences between the two units? I don't know if this has already been brought up, but I'm just trying to help out and maybe save him some money if the 3808 will do the job.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/17/10 02:31 AM
Just off the top of my head, some of the differences are:

-Dolby Pro Logic IIz decoding
-Anchor Bay ABT-2010 advanced analog and digital video 1080p/24fps/60fps upconversion and deinterlacing with multi-cadence detection
-Audyssey Dynamic Surround Expansion for a more enveloping soundstage with front width or height channels – World’s First with DSX
-Audyssey MultEQ XT, Dynamic Volume, Dynamic EQ (it can be purchased for the 3808 for $100)
-Six HDMI inputs, dual HDMI video output

How much is the 3808 going for now?
Posted By: Micah Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/17/10 09:30 AM
If you dig (US) I think you can find the 3808 for around $800 - $850... I've seen the 4310 as low as $1299. Not bad.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/17/10 04:19 PM
The 4310 is a noticeable improvement over the 3808 and I wish I had waited before purchasing my 3808. htnut has highlighted the major differences and if the 4310 wasn't ~$1000 more than the 3808 was when I bought it I might own a 4310 already. As the saying goes good things come to those that wait, and wait I shall.
Posted By: Micah Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/17/10 04:27 PM
Yes, but in the world of reciever technology, good things come at a rate of every 6 months. So by the time you've waited for something to come down in price, the newest good thing just got unveiled.

So my advice is this... since we're all going to die in 2012, just wait until around Christmas of 2011 and buy the best thing on the market as of then. That way you will have the peace of mind of knowing that you got the best reciever that ever was or ever will be! ;\)
Posted By: jakewash Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/17/10 04:30 PM
I am still trying to see the real benefit of HDMI 1.4, not sure if this new spec is really worth the extra cost they will charge for it.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/17/10 06:29 PM
They haven't even fully utilized HDMI 1.3b yet...things move fast. I have the 3808 and love it. Lucky for me it doesn't look like I'd be using any of the extra features in the 4310.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/17/10 07:07 PM
The upscaling is the major feature I am looking at and if I wait long enough it won't matter for me either, so the trusty 3808 will remain till it dies.........a second time.
Posted By: snazzed Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/17/10 07:22 PM
Re HDMI 1.4, I understand the new 3D BluRays/TVs will require it so if you think you'll go down the 3D road in the near future it may be worthwhile.

snazzed
Posted By: jakewash Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/17/10 07:35 PM
As long as an apparatus is required for me to wear to get the 3d effect while watching TV/movies I am not buying into it. I will wait for holographic rooms to be built ;\)
Posted By: CV Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/17/10 07:36 PM
What if the apparatus is a hot woman?
Posted By: snazzed Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/17/10 07:40 PM
 Originally Posted By: CV

C'mon, CV... the appratus required for 3D are active shutter glasses!

You are only required to wear a hot woman for the 3O effect!

Edit: Clarifiction... thats the Three-OH! effect, not Three-Zero, or Thirty. Much funnier that way.

;\)

snazzed
Posted By: CV Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/17/10 07:42 PM
It's impossible to keep up on the tech!
Posted By: medic8r Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/17/10 08:34 PM
CV and the Real Girl.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/17/10 09:39 PM
You could have a hot woman cover, and then uncover each alternating eye 48 or 60 times a second.
Posted By: punisher101 Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/17/10 10:38 PM
The differences between the 4310CI were mainly the addition of the extra 2 HDMI inputs ports and an extra HDMI out port. From what I've read the upscaling using Anchor Bay which is supposed to be a vast improvement. They also have upgrades in other functions.

The only thing that concerns me is the weight. Denon 3808 which is 130W@8ohms weighs more then the Denon 4310 which I think has 140Watts@8ohms

Aside note - The 4310CI is an upgraded 3808CI not 3310CI as a lot of salesman people contend.
Posted By: punisher101 Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/17/10 10:42 PM
The 1.4 HDMI specs most prominent feature on certain version (more confusion for the consumer) is the inclusion of Ethernet over HDMI. Which I don't see the point of since most receiver have Ethernet port and many use WiFi. Also 3D support (let's see if that takes off)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_1.4
Posted By: Micah Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/17/10 11:45 PM
Here's my prediction. I think the industry it going to make a big push for 3D. I think the televisions and accessories that support 3D will be ubber cool. And I think the 3D effect will blow us all away. But ultimately, I think 3D will travel the same road SuperAudio and DVD Audio did... I don't think the masses will buy into it permanently.

I say this because I don't think the majority of people will want to have to wear glasses everytime they sit down to watch a program. It's just too complicated. How much will the glasses cost anyway? After all they're pretty hi-tech themselves. I know over the years they'd come down until eventually they cost a dime a dozen, but it's the upstart that concerns me. Families wont want to have to shell out $100 bucks per pair if there are 5 or more people in the house. And do you have to provide an additional 2 - 6 pair for any guests that might come over, or are they expected to bring their own? Sports bars will face this issue, do they bare the expense of supplying everyone in the joint a pair of glasses so they can watch ESPN, constantly replacing missing or broken pairs? Or do we all have to carry around 3D gasses with us everywhere we go just in case? Plus kids will inevitably break them constantly, loose them, fight over the coolest pair, etc...

Then there's the problem with people who already wear glasses, how will they watch comfortably? Then there's the cool factor, kids 13 to 19 won't be caught dead in them unless Oakley makes them. And then there's the cost of buying everything involved to bring it into your living room. We all know how few people actually own a decent reciever and surround system as it is. Having to buy a $3000 dollar television, $1000+ reciever, and a new $250+ DVD player isn't going to be on many people's priority list, not in the 90's economy, and expecially not in the present economy. Does anyone here remember them talking about the digital switchover originally being as far back as 2004? They wanted to do it far sooner than they eventually did. But they simply couldn't because the vast majority of people refused to run out and replace their analog only television to comply with the new digital standard.

So 6 years later, when most have finally made the switch from analog to digital, do you think they're ready to switchover again from regular digital to 3D digital? Think again. If the 3D format accepts it's initial role as a very,very small one, one that only the highest of the high end crowd will buy into for... perhaps a decade or better, and is willing to exist as a luxury and not as the standard, then perhaps it will survive until eventually the costs of the technology is so low it's incorporated into everything... like stereo sound v/s mono for instance (can you remember the first TV you bought that boosted it was a STEREO TV? Can you even buy a mono TV anymore???), then perhaps one day we will all own a 3D TV. But if they expect everyone to buy into it immediately, and aren't prepared to support it through a long, unprofitable period... then it will probably die like SuperAudio did.

It doesn't matter how much better it is than standard TV. SuperAudio is noticably better than standard stereo, the masses simply didn't care. The hassle to bring SuperAudio into one's home was just too much for the average consumer. My guess it'll be no diffeent for 3D. And I for one agree with Jake, I don't wear glasses except for sunglasses, and that's only to protect my eye's from the sun. I don't want to have to put glasses on to watch TV. Every once in a great while to see a cool movie is one thing... to watch Sport Center every other hour is completely different. Not for me.
Posted By: punisher101 Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/18/10 12:42 AM
I concur. However, there are some sets that are being developed that don't require glasses at all. But they are still in the R&D phase last I heard.

3D is a push to get the consumers to buy 3D TV, 3D Wires, 3D Blu-Ray. I think the general population is getting up to speed with HD now a new paradigm has been introduced with new costs. I don't think alot of people will go for it. I mean look how long it took us to get from SDTV to HDTV nearly 50 years.
Posted By: Micah Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/18/10 12:53 AM
 Originally Posted By: punisher101
I concur. However, there are some sets that are being developed that don't require glasses at all. But they are still in the R&D phase last I heard.

If that's a fact then I would suggest they scrap HDMI 1.4 that supports the current 3D format, and just wait until it's available. For the love of God, first they hit us with 420p DVD, a few years later, 1080i was unleashed. Then they upped it to 1080p, and now 3D us heading straight for us... after we've had to swallow all of that they're going to expect us to scrap all our current equipment to handle HDMI 1.5 and the NEW 3D format??? Give us a break already.

If they can do 3D without the glasses then I would totally be down with that... TOTALLY! So save us all from 3D WITH glasses if there is an alternative right around the corner. But right now that's a big 'if', as I've never seen anything in 3D besides a hologram, that didn't require glasses.
Posted By: Hansang Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/18/10 01:03 AM
Which is why I'll never buy another "top of the line" equipment ever again. Before the LCD/DLP/Plasma, you really had just the CRT. Now, I buy little above the middle of the pack. Then you can upgrade every few years w/o feeling guilty.
Posted By: CV Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/18/10 06:09 AM
 Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
You could have a hot woman cover, and then uncover each alternating eye 48 or 60 times a second.

I knew you'd have the answer.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/18/10 05:01 PM
 Originally Posted By: CV
Already have one of those
Posted By: CV Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/18/10 05:25 PM
So you're saying it would be uncomfortable, like wearing the 3D glasses over a normal pair of glasses?
Posted By: jakewash Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/18/10 07:49 PM
No idea, I don't wear glasses.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/18/10 08:39 PM
I don't wear underwear.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/18/10 08:40 PM
Oops, I thought Jason hijacked the thread and turned it into confessions.
Posted By: CV Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/19/10 05:19 AM
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
No idea, I don't wear glasses.

Well, let's make it an exercise in imagination, then. First, imagine yourself wearing two pairs of glasses. Next, imagine yourself wearing two women. Which one is more annoying?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/19/10 05:29 AM
What, are you talking Silence of the Lambs or something?
Posted By: fredk Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/19/10 05:42 AM
 Originally Posted By: Hansang
Which is why I'll never buy another "top of the line" equipment ever again. Before the LCD/DLP/Plasma, you really had just the CRT. Now, I buy little above the middle of the pack. Then you can upgrade every few years w/o feeling guilty.

Or you can be like most people and upgrade when the old one dies. Most people will go from 480p to 1080p only 'cause the old set died.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/19/10 05:54 AM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile

eeewwww yuck
Posted By: CV Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/19/10 05:56 AM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile

I certainly don't need THAT going into JP's file.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/19/10 06:12 AM
Aw, man, now he'll put it in my file.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/19/10 11:52 AM
:scribbles into both files:
Posted By: CV Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/19/10 05:15 PM
How would it feel to wear those two files?
Posted By: Micah Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/19/10 05:37 PM
Do we all have files? Does the stuff in my file qualify me a prescription for any narcotics? If not, what steps should I take to do so? \:D
Posted By: medic8r Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/19/10 06:00 PM
First I have to try and figure out how to bill (and collect from) each of you. Baby needs a new pair of shoes!
Posted By: Micah Re: Good Place to buy Denon 4310CI - 02/19/10 06:47 PM
Where there's a will(bill), there's a way. ;\)
© Axiom Message Boards