Axiom Home Page
Posted By: CV Theater Seating... again - 10/31/10 09:19 AM
There hasn't been much talk of theater seating lately, and I've been thinking about it lately. My plan is to have two rows of it, the front row having three seats, and the rear row on a riser with four seats. I figure 7 seats will be plenty for most any movie night that I would have, and I will be able to stagger the seating so heads in the front row will not be directly in front of the people in the rear seats. The riser should make visibility a non-issue to begin with, but I'd still rather have it this way.

Anyway, I've been thinking about the backs of the seating. Personally, I'm comfortable in most seating that's remotely decent, but I understand when other people like a little more comfort. I would prefer low-backed seating from an audio perspective, but I imagine most guests would want to rest their heads on the seats. Does anyone have experience with theater seating with headrests that are both adjustable and removable? I'm pretty sure I'll go with theater seating for space and mounting reasons. It simply seems like the most efficient and cost-effective way to accomplish what I'm after, so if anyone has some first-hand knowledge of what I'm asking about, I'd love to hear it.

Even if you don't have any direct advice on my question, I wouldn't mind hearing a discussion of what you yourself are using, along with pros and cons you've encountered.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Theater Seating... again - 10/31/10 02:20 PM
I don't have a "dedicated" HT, but if I were to build one in the future I would consider two-tiered, curved sectional couching with (ottoman)as an option. I kind of prefer the idea of a couch vs separate seating since it would bring the experience of viewers together, so to speak.
Posted By: CV Re: Theater Seating... again - 10/31/10 07:00 PM
My current couch has never afforded me any welcome intimacy, so maybe that's why I see no downside to individual seating.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Theater Seating... again - 10/31/10 07:55 PM
Charles, go pick yourself up an electric wheelchair and head down to the bar. Not sure of your age, but if a cougar is close to your it, then I can virtually guarantee it will work on a silver fox.
Posted By: CV Re: Theater Seating... again - 10/31/10 08:54 PM
Ha ha, thanks for that. Do I dare ask for some stories?
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Theater Seating... again - 10/31/10 09:00 PM
There's always Bass Industries, for very authentically designed (and priced) seating.

They've got other gimmicky stuff too, if you're into that.
Posted By: CV Re: Theater Seating... again - 10/31/10 09:33 PM
By authentically priced, do you mean expensive or not expensive? What made you mention them over other options?

The prices here seem nice.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Theater Seating... again - 10/31/10 09:41 PM
Expensive...at least to me. But they do offer some in line with I see for those Berklines.

I just really liked their Regal Rockers.

Their other seating options can be highly customized. You can do things like have a pair of seats together without arm rests between them, but the rest in the row are separated.

Although they are really expensive, their Monaco line includes a matching lounge.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Theater Seating... again - 10/31/10 09:42 PM
Oh I love their media bed.

Although, I don't know how well that'd go down with inviting people over to your home theater. laugh
Posted By: CV Re: Theater Seating... again - 10/31/10 09:48 PM
I like the Regal Rockers, too. That's actually the style I would like, though I would like the back to be lower (which is where having a removable headrest would come in). I definitely don't want to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on seating. A couple of grand for all seven seats would be ideal. If my friends are pickier than what I can get for that price, boo-hoo, right?
Posted By: CV Re: Theater Seating... again - 10/31/10 09:50 PM
Ha ha, yeah, people might read too much into it with the media bed, but sure, I'd go for that if not for people being so uptight!
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Theater Seating... again - 10/31/10 09:54 PM
They do have different sized rockers, but none with adjustable head rests.
Posted By: CV Re: Theater Seating... again - 10/31/10 10:01 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure anyone makes exactly what I want. It would be nice to have the tray tables, too, in addition to the cup holders. Adjustable/removable headrests, slight recline ability, cup holders, tray tables, available in rows of 3 and 4, not leather. That would be pretty ideal for me.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Theater Seating... again - 10/31/10 10:14 PM
Originally Posted By: CV
Yeah, I'm not sure anyone makes exactly what I want.

That's an all-emcompassing statement when applied to you, Charles! smile But it's a good thing!
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Theater Seating... again - 10/31/10 10:17 PM
Adjustable headrests, slight recline, cup holders, loveseat, sofa, 2/3/4/5 seat rows (straight or wedge), not leather (a wide selection of materials). So all that's missing is the tray table.

http://www.bassind.com/prod_one.cfm?id=1543&subcatid=1072&catid=1007
Posted By: michael_d Re: Theater Seating... again - 10/31/10 10:42 PM
I really like the hide a way cup holders on those Monaco's Chris. Now I might just have to check pricing as I have not seen seating I like, til now. Damit... I really need to stop visiting this sight.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Theater Seating... again - 10/31/10 11:09 PM
Originally Posted By: CV
Ha ha, thanks for that. Do I dare ask for some stories?

smile
Posted By: CV Re: Theater Seating... again - 10/31/10 11:14 PM
Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
Adjustable headrests, slight recline, cup holders, loveseat, sofa, 2/3/4/5 seat rows (straight or wedge), not leather (a wide selection of materials). So all that's missing is the tray table.

http://www.bassind.com/prod_one.cfm?id=1543&subcatid=1072&catid=1007

smile Okay, but there's no way I could afford 7 of those. Hey, maybe I'll splurge on the center front seat and let the rest be cheaper seating. Guests can suck it, right?
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Theater Seating... again - 11/01/10 12:04 AM
You've got it, Charles. That's precisely what I say- I've got my seat, you can suck it!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Theater Seating... again - 11/01/10 01:10 AM
Must....resist....inquisitive....sentence.......
Posted By: CV Re: Theater Seating... again - 11/01/10 01:11 AM
laugh
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Theater Seating... again - 11/01/10 02:17 AM
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Must....resist....inquisitive....sentence.......

laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: lex Re: Theater Seating... again - 11/01/10 03:34 PM
Originally Posted By: michael_d
Damit... I really need to stop visiting this sight.

I could say the same for THIS site!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Theater Seating... again - 11/01/10 04:32 PM
Charles, just because your existing couch hasn't paid off doesn't mean that the concept of snuggling up to someone while watching TV is forever impossible. I highly recommend that you get a loveseat (or at least two adjoining seats where you can tilt up the armrest or something) to accommodate such future bliss.
Posted By: CV Re: Theater Seating... again - 11/01/10 06:37 PM
smile I can always adapt later.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Theater Seating... again - 11/01/10 06:47 PM
It's easier to "invest" in your hobbies before you have a serious relationship than after.

Or so I've been told by everyone at work who bring numerous UPS/FedEx delivers back to my office most ever day of the week.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Theater Seating... again - 11/01/10 11:23 PM
Unless you find one of those rare people that actually share/encourage that hobby. Have I mentioned how much I love my wife smile
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Theater Seating... again - 11/02/10 01:56 AM
Originally Posted By: jakewash
Unless you find one of those rare people that actually share/encourage that hobby. Have I mentioned how much I love my wife smile

I have to share that sentiment.
My wife was the one who found our media room loungers, wanted to get a good audio system and bought our first big screen tv!

I was the one who had to research it all; but hey, everyone has to do their part.
Posted By: CV Re: Theater Seating... again - 11/02/10 04:07 AM
See, I should get the seating that *I* want right now, then my wife can make me change it to something "better" later.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Theater Seating... again - 11/02/10 05:56 PM
Have no fear that will happen regardless of what you buy good or bad, as she didn't have any input on it, ie color, size, style, so what you buy now will eventually end up in another room or tossed all together no matter how supportive she is of the hobby.
Posted By: CV Re: Theater Seating... again - 11/02/10 05:59 PM
Maybe I'll marry a blind woman?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Theater Seating... again - 11/03/10 11:40 AM
I had assumed that was a given.

Bazinga! grin
Posted By: medic8r Re: Theater Seating... again - 11/03/10 02:33 PM
That was a good one, Sheldon.
Posted By: CV Re: Theater Seating... again - 11/03/10 04:39 PM
Hey, a certainty that I'll be with ANYONE? I'll take it!
© Axiom Message Boards