Axiom Home Page
Posted By: icehawk21 Advice choosing receiver / pre-pro - 11/02/10 05:41 AM
Following from my previous thread, I'm planning on buying a new receiver or pre-processor to replace my current Outlaw 990 pre-processor (which is coupled with an Outlaw 7125 7-channel amplifier @ 125w/ch). I'd like to upgrade to a new processor that supports HDMI, 1080p24 video processing, new HD audio (Dolby/DTS), new wide/height surround formats (PLiiz, DSX), network connectivity and, most importantly, room correction such as Audyssey MultEQ XT/XT32.

I'm considering the Denon AVR-4311CI versus the Marantz AV7005 pre-processor. Outlaw is currently offering a promotion whereby I can purchase the Marantz @ $1500 US with free US shipping (I'd have to pay the difference to ship to Canada) with a $300 buy-back option on my current 990 pre-pro - for a total cost of $1200 US plus CDN shipping.

The Denon 4311 is relatively new and hasn't arrived on the shelves of Canadian retailers but I suspect that I can get it for approximately $1700-1800 CDN. Or I can purchase it from the US for $1500 USD plus shipping. Purchasing from the US might (will?) negate the manufacturer's warranty, however.

I'm leaning towards the Denon 4311 as it has the latest Audyssey implementation (MultEQ XT32 plus SubEQ for 2 subwoofers) and seems to have a couple more features that I may use - such as a Denon iPhone app to control it which may come in handy. Plus, I might be able to use it as a receiver and re-purpose or sell my 7-channel Outlaw 7125 amplifier (might save a few bucks). But I'm not sure what the final cost will be and it will definitely be more expensive than the Marantz.

The Marantz is obviously cheaper and is a pre-pro vs. a receiver. And it pretty much has all the features I need minus the latest Audyssey implementation (not XT32).

I've not owned either brand - the Outlaw was my first "real" home theater processor.

Any opinions on which would be better? I'm primarily interested in home theater setup - watching movies and TV. But I do listen to music (in multi-channel mode i.e. PL2x Music) and would like to stream music from a networked server. I will only have the capacity to run it as 7.2 (fronts, center, heights, sides).

I happily await your comments...

Thanks!

Bryan
Posted By: JohnK Re: Advice choosing receiver / pre-pro - 11/02/10 07:41 AM
Bryan, my comment would be that of those two alternatives I'd prefer the 4311(primarily because of XT32)and I'd consider changing the overall amplification setup along the lines that you mention. The 4311 should do the job just fine by itself.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Advice choosing receiver / pre-pro - 11/02/10 06:02 PM
I would also recommend the Denon but before selling off the 7125, WE have to try the Denon with and with out it smile
Posted By: CV Re: Advice choosing receiver / pre-pro - 11/02/10 06:02 PM
You're about to knock JohnK off the Top Posters list.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Advice choosing receiver / pre-pro - 11/02/10 08:41 PM
Na na na na, Na na NA na, HEY hey hey, goodbye ...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Advice choosing receiver / pre-pro - 11/02/10 09:03 PM
Wow, that's amazing.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Advice choosing receiver / pre-pro - 11/02/10 10:25 PM
Does the 4311 have independent sub set for both subs or is it a common setting like previous models? I haven't bothered to keep up recently.
Posted By: icehawk21 Re: Advice choosing receiver / pre-pro - 11/03/10 04:32 AM
michael_d - the 4311 employs Audyssey MultEQ XT32 which independently sets the level and distance settings for two subs. It then treats them as one subwoofer channel when applying the EQ filters. At least that is how I understand it.

jakewash - I was thinking of you when I posted all of these questions smile How's your new shack? I hope you and the family are enjoying it. I was thinking that we could get together to test things out when I get it all set up. For that matter, I could use someone with your strength to help me move my CRT rear projection TV to the basement smile If you're interested, WE could play around with the new equipment when I've purchased and received everything. I'm interested in comparing the Denon as a receiver versus running it as a pre/pro and feeding my 7125 amplifier. I'm also considering purchasing the VP180 and a second EP500 to trial to see if they make an improvement over my VP150 and single EP500 (but don't tell my wife).

BTW - The Marantz deal is apparently not available to Canadians. Marantz won't allow Outlaw to sell out of country. Guess I didn't see that in the promotion. So I'm going to purchase the 4311 when I find the right deal.
Posted By: casey01 Re: Advice choosing receiver / pre-pro - 11/03/10 05:05 PM
Originally Posted By: icehawk21
Following from my previous thread, I'm planning on buying a new receiver or pre-processor to replace my current Outlaw 990 pre-processor (which is coupled with an Outlaw 7125 7-channel amplifier @ 125w/ch). I'd like to upgrade to a new processor that supports HDMI, 1080p24 video processing, new HD audio (Dolby/DTS), new wide/height surround formats (PLiiz, DSX), network connectivity and, most importantly, room correction such as Audyssey MultEQ XT/XT32.

I'm considering the Denon AVR-4311CI versus the Marantz AV7005 pre-processor. Outlaw is currently offering a promotion whereby I can purchase the Marantz @ $1500 US with free US shipping (I'd have to pay the difference to ship to Canada) with a $300 buy-back option on my current 990 pre-pro - for a total cost of $1200 US plus CDN shipping.

The Denon 4311 is relatively new and hasn't arrived on the shelves of Canadian retailers but I suspect that I can get it for approximately $1700-1800 CDN. Or I can purchase it from the US for $1500 USD plus shipping. Purchasing from the US might (will?) negate the manufacturer's warranty, however.

I'm leaning towards the Denon 4311 as it has the latest Audyssey implementation (MultEQ XT32 plus SubEQ for 2 subwoofers) and seems to have a couple more features that I may use - such as a Denon iPhone app to control it which may come in handy. Plus, I might be able to use it as a receiver and re-purpose or sell my 7-channel Outlaw 7125 amplifier (might save a few bucks). But I'm not sure what the final cost will be and it will definitely be more expensive than the Marantz.

The Marantz is obviously cheaper and is a pre-pro vs. a receiver. And it pretty much has all the features I need minus the latest Audyssey implementation (not XT32).

I've not owned either brand - the Outlaw was my first "real" home theater processor.

Any opinions on which would be better? I'm primarily interested in home theater setup - watching movies and TV. But I do listen to music (in multi-channel mode i.e. PL2x Music) and would like to stream music from a networked server. I will only have the capacity to run it as 7.2 (fronts, center, heights, sides).

I happily await your comments...

Thanks!

Bryan

I have TWO 7125s and no matter what I buy in the future I would never get rid of them. Unlike AVR's, power amps aren't subject to obsolescence and they deal with the various speaker resistant issues generally better. With few exceptions, outboard power amps will provide the actual "all-channels driven" power output better and more accurately than an AVR. Also, should you wish the option of going to a strictly a Pre-Pro in the future, then you are all set.

I have used both a high-end and mid range AVR as a Pre-Pro in the last couple of years and although I can't really say the sound is audibly superior than the AVRs amps on their own, it does give me a flexibility now and in in the future that I otherwise wouldn't have without them.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Advice choosing receiver / pre-pro - 11/03/10 07:27 PM
jakewash - I was thinking of you when I posted all of these questions smile How's your new shack? I hope you and the family are enjoying it. I was thinking that we could get together to test things out when I get it all set up. For that matter, I could use someone with your strength to help me move my CRT rear projection TV to the basement smile If you're interested, WE could play around with the new equipment when I've purchased and received everything. I'm interested in comparing the Denon as a receiver versus running it as a pre/pro and feeding my 7125 amplifier. I'm also considering purchasing the VP180 and a second EP500 to trial to see if they make an improvement over my VP150 and single EP500 (but don't tell my wife).

Just let me know when and I will do my best to help out smile I sent you a PM
Posted By: icehawk21 Re: Advice choosing receiver / pre-pro - 11/05/10 09:59 PM
Update on my receiver purchase...

The Denon 4311 is now available locally (in Canada) for $2200 CDN MSRP vs. $2000 US MSRP. I can purchase one from a US retailer who's willing to sell and ship to Canada for $1500 plus shipping - so probably around $1600 CDN after factoring in shipping and exchange. They don't have it in stock so I'd have to wait plus I might get charged around 6% for duty charges (which, according to NAFTA, should be 0%). Plus, the 1 year manufacturer warranty would be voided.

Or I can buy it locally for $1900 CDN (all-in, no shipping required). The 1 year warranty would still be valid and I can pick it up immediately as they have it in stock.

What do you guys think? Should I save myself $300 and order from the US or purchase locally? I don't think I can get them below $1900 since they've still got quite a bit of old stock (Denon 4310s) that they are trying to sell and they don't want to provide too much of an incentive to buy this year's model over the older discounted model.

Help!

Bryan
Posted By: jakewash Re: Advice choosing receiver / pre-pro - 11/05/10 10:10 PM
Personally I would go with the $1900 and be done with it, but first try to get them down a little more and walk out once or twice on them to be sure they won`t go any lower wink
Posted By: Adrian Re: Advice choosing receiver / pre-pro - 11/05/10 10:29 PM
My advise is to be patient....the CAD$ is heading north which you should consider if buying through the US. Unless you'll definately save a good $250 or more, I'd probably buy locally. As the scary turbaned fellow said, try to get a better deal first.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Advice choosing receiver / pre-pro - 11/05/10 10:44 PM
What do you get by going from the 4310 to the 4311? Maybe they'd make you a sweet deal on the older model.

Yeah, given what you've said, I'd buy it locally.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Advice choosing receiver / pre-pro - 11/06/10 04:00 AM
Audyssey 32bit I beleive is the greatest benefit.
Posted By: casey01 Re: Advice choosing receiver / pre-pro - 11/06/10 05:26 PM
Update on my receiver purchase...

The Denon 4311 is now available locally (in Canada) for $2200 CDN MSRP vs. $2000 US MSRP. I can purchase one from a US retailer who's willing to sell and ship to Canada for $1500 plus shipping - so probably around $1600 CDN after factoring in shipping and exchange. They don't have it in stock so I'd have to wait plus I might get charged around 6% for duty charges (which, according to NAFTA, should be 0%). Plus, the 1 year manufacturer warranty would be voided.

Or I can buy it locally for $1900 CDN (all-in, no shipping required). The 1 year warranty would still be valid and I can pick it up immediately as they have it in stock.

What do you guys think? Should I save myself $300 and order from the US or purchase locally? I don't think I can get them below $1900 since they've still got quite a bit of old stock (Denon 4310s) that they are trying to sell and they don't want to provide too much of an incentive to buy this year's model over the older discounted model.

Help!

Bryan

With the dollar virtually at par with the US the prices on this stuff vis-a-vis Can./US is in now quite unacceptable. I have a couple of friends in the CE retail business who state quite clearly that the distributors/manufacturers in Canada will not accept the low markup that exists in the US, hence higher prices, despite the dollar. The worst of these is Onkyo(these clowns won't even allow their authorized resellers to sell in to Canada).

Incidentally, NAFTA and the rules re: duty exemption, only applies to products actually manufactured in the US. Pretty well all this stuff, regardless of the company, is manufactured in the Far East, including Denon, so you will have to pay duty(usually around 6.5%) plus the brokerage charges(based on the value of the item) and , of course, shipping, plus the sales tax which you would pay anyway if you bought it locally. Then there is the warranty issue purchasing it from the US.

Unfortunately, when you add it all up, even with the significantly lower initial price offered from the US based shipper, you, more often than not, end up spending as much or more as opposed to just paying the higher price locally. Usually now I will only import from the US if it is a product that I just can't get here at all that has no distributor.

I have done quite a bit of importing from the US over the years and you really have to do your homework here to determine if it is worth it.

Posted By: icehawk21 Re: Advice choosing receiver / pre-pro - 11/07/10 02:44 AM
Thanks for the advice - it is appreciated.

I ended up purchasing it locally and was able to negotiate it down to $1800 CDN (before taxes). Plus, it was in stock at the store so I was able to pick it up today.

I figured the best I was going to do from the US was $1600 after shipping and more likely $1650 to $1700 depending on duties (I still think the duty should be 0% but figured I might get dinged for 6%). And this would have been without warranty.

So I felt comfortable buying locally and paying $1800 CDN with full 3-year warranty - plus I could get my hands on it immediately which was worth something to me as I have the house to myself next weekend to set everything up.

So - if anyone in Calgary is looking for a Denon 4311 I think $1800 is the benchmark. The MSRP is $2200 so I got it at an 18% discount - slightly less than my stated goal of 20-25% but close enough. And, to be honest, I didn't play hardball too much. I'm sure if I was willing to wait it out and negotiate a bit more I could have gotten it for a bit less.

But I'm happy - saved myself $400 of MSRP which will easily pay for my next purchase - Sony Playstation w/ Move hardware bundle!

Cheers!

Bryan
Posted By: Adrian Re: Advice choosing receiver / pre-pro - 11/07/10 03:03 AM
Very Good!!
Posted By: jakewash Re: Advice choosing receiver / pre-pro - 11/07/10 05:19 AM
I bet you might have only been able to get them to drop another $50 before the wall went up and it would have been painful to get them there, nicely done! smile
© Axiom Message Boards