Axiom Home Page
I will write to Monoprice about this, but wanted to solicit opinions here as well.

I have a bit of an unusual situation. I work in video production and need to tilt a 32" LCD (on a shelf above me) downwards approximately 30 degrees. It seems as though all of the mounts I'm seeing at Monoprice max out at a 15 degree tilt.

My plan is to build a wood panel, offset 15 degrees forward from vertical, to attach a mount to. Between the 15 degrees of the mounting surface and the 15 degrees tilt of the mount, I can achieve the needed 30 degrees of total tilt.

Here's a graphic of what I have in mind:

I'm confident that the construction and bracing of the mount will be more than sufficient, and that I can securely attach the whole contraption to the shelf, which is also incredibly strong (AnthroCart). My point of concern is highlighted on the graphic..... simply where the TV attaches to the mount, and whether the additional added angle could cause an issue.

The LCD panel that I'm planning on using is 23lbs and has a 200mm X 200mm VESA pattern. I was thinking that a mount such as the Monoprice 4117 would work. It's rated for 165lbs, so I believe that holding the panel slightly more "outward" for the additional tilt won't be a problem, but I thought it best to check with some of the experts here that have experience in mounting LCD or Plasma panels.

Here's a shot with an arrow to the LCD as it currently is. I hardly use the LCD for anything, because I need to stand up to see it at the proper angle! smile

Any thoughts?

Hi Mark, at 23lbs, I wouldn't worry about it unless that top connect point is unusually "low" on the back of the panel or the mounting screws are unusually small/thin, neither of which is probably the case.

Cary
Originally Posted By: Cary

I wouldn't worry about it unless that top connect point is unusually "low" on the back of the panel

Good point, Cary!

The VESA mounting area on the LCD panel is pretty much centered vertically.
Can you build the wooden panel with a 30 degrees angle and use a non tiltable mount?
That might be a really, really good idea, Bruno!

I'm multitasking on so many levels overt the last couple of days, I can't remember what brought me from the non-tiltable mounts to the tiltable ones in the first place!!??
How about something super simple and adjustable like this?

The little triangle is a wooden cleat that runs along the bottom to prevent slipping. The chain goes over a hook in the wall -- pass a different link over the hook for adjustable angle. You'd need two chains, possibly going to two hooks (but one would work). Finding a good way to attach the chains to the vesa mount might be tricky, though...

Sure it looks like crap, but you'd only ever see it when adjusting. smile
Mark, I just want to say you are looking awfully serious in that photo. If I had a room that had that many buttons, dials & monitors, gauges, sliders, doodads, thingamajigs, etc. I'd never stop smiling. I might never know what it was all for, but it would still keep me happy.
Originally Posted By: bdpf
Can you build the wooden panel with a 30 degrees angle and use a non tiltable mount?

I don't think he has enough tools to do that.
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
How about something super simple and adjustable like this?

The little triangle is a wooden cleat that runs along the bottom to prevent slipping. The chain goes over a hook in the wall -- pass a different link over the hook for adjustable angle. You'd need two chains, possibly going to two hooks (but one would work). Finding a good way to attach the chains to the vesa mount might be tricky, though...

Sure it looks like crap, but you'd only ever see it when adjusting. smile

Euclid lives!
If one of those dials don't automatically adjust the angle in the end, I for one, will be very disappointed in both his famous carpentry skills and his now obvious doojiggery skills.
Wow. You guys are amazing.

From the "simpler" to the "more complicated"...

I have an Ergotron articulating arm mount for my monitor at the office. I love that thing. Allows me to adjust height, tilt, rotation, etc. really easily. I'm not sure if them make one with enough travel for your use. But I was thinking you could use something like that to have it right in front of you sometimes and then push it up out of the way when you needed to get at all those buttons.

I know - more expensive and more complicated = Suggestion Fail.

I think you should be wearing a lab coat in that picture.
Tom maybe on to something. How about one of those arms that control the lights that dentists insist on pointing directly at your eyes. They seem pretty heavy if you can calibrate the joints to the weight of the TV. Must also be controlled by a joystick on one of your consoles.

I suspect you can also get a Canadarm cheap now too since the Space Shuttles are being decommissioned? That really opens up possibilities. You could then work out in your backyard when you feel like it or on the roof, a tree house, the neighbors hot tub when they are away....

Am I helping? If so, I except Paypal donations for my time.
Originally Posted By: Murph
Am I helping? If so, I except Paypal donations for my time.

Now you're being Mark helpful. That should be worth extra donations all on its own.
Ah geez i love how this thread has twisted.
Way too funny.

I like Murph's idea of the dentist chair thing that looks like a mini Canadarm which could launch Mark into outer space at a 30 degree angle.

That's a great idea.
grin
You're just siding with the guy that has bootleg booze connections!

You guys (well, many of you) were about as helpful as I usually am in my replies.

There. I insulted you.

Bruno: If I remember right, I got away from the idea of a 30 degree panel with a no-tilt mount because I might want to change the angle periodically. Thirty degrees is about right when I'm sitting in the main position, but if I have a few other clients sitting in the area behind me, I'd like to have the ability to tilt it a little less downward for their viewing pleasure. smile

Peter: Good creative design, but it won't work in my situation because that whol Anthro rack is on wheels.... and it seems that I'm rolling it out to rewire something every week. If, instead of the wall, I anchored into the back of the rack, I'd have to do some pretty serious modifications the the rack, which I'd rather not do considering what I paid for it! smile

Murph: I can't smile in a photo like that; I have to look deadly serious. grin Really, I just don't like my teeth. Yeah, there's Photoshop, but I believe in truth in advertising both for my teeth and my lousy disposition. smile

Tom, I like your unit (straight-man line)! I'm not sure haw much I trust the mounting of the mount though, with a 32" display over my head. It's rated for 30lbs, so it should be safe, but I'll have to read more about how the base is based. I don't care about that price...it's not like it's $400 or something. I'll check it out.

Bob: Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... If this gives me a reaon to buy another tool that I won't have the time or knowledge to use, so be it! How can I justify a lathe for that thing?

Murph: So right after I lament my teeth, you bring up dental equipment? Way to make a guy feel self conscience!
What about a ceiling mount? I believe those can handle extreme angles.
I've got it! Just keep the TV situated as-is and use a periscope, perhaps with a fresnel lens in the upper end so you can keep it close to the screen.
Peter, the fresnel would likely cause vignetting in the corners.

Otherwise, a brilliant idea!

Either way, though, I'd be making "Fire Away! Torpedo Tubes 1 and 3!" -type comments all the time, which may not be appreciated by clients.
You say it needs to be adjustable for your clients who may be behind you. So once again, dentistry has the answer (actually I just wanted to kick you when you are down again.) Leave the screen static but provide adjustable chairs.

Your clients will love them as long as you don't make any noises that sound like a drill. I mean, come on, who doesn't play with the buttons on the dentist chair when he leaves the room.
How about just move the damn thing someplace where you and others can see it?
Or get one of those chairs that you spin in and it raises and lowers.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Further Tilting at Windmills - 03/22/11 07:13 PM
I thought this thread could use a new topic.
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
I hardly use the LCD for anything, because I need to stand up to see it at the proper angle!

OMG! How horrible! smirk

Standing up and sitting down for each view could be a good way to sneak some exercise into your daily routine. Better yet, if you PM Dean, he can probably tell you the best way to strap weights to your body so that each time you rise to see the TV, you're actually doing a lift ...
Barber chair?
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Barber chair?

And a chute to the basement (or is that sub basement?)
© Axiom Message Boards