Axiom Home Page
Posted By: dakkon The new addition... - 04/13/12 11:13 PM
It just came in today...

I think everyone should have a pair of 600's, so far just watching the news there is a considerable improvement, i can't decide what to watch tonight to really test them out.....

Posted By: RickF Re: The new addition... - 04/13/12 11:18 PM
Beautiful!
Posted By: Dduval Re: The new addition... - 04/13/12 11:57 PM
Congrats Dak!, looks awesome!
Posted By: michael_d Re: The new addition... - 04/14/12 12:13 AM
Imminent hearing loss is in your future..LOL It was kind of you to get the other 600 a playmate.
Posted By: J. B. Re: The new addition... - 04/14/12 12:51 AM
lots of fun to you, dakkon. :-)
Posted By: dakkon Re: The new addition... - 04/14/12 12:54 AM
Thanks guys!

Originally Posted By: michael_d
Imminent hearing loss is in your future...

I think this will come when i replace the M60's with the LFR's when they show up.....
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: The new addition... - 04/14/12 01:02 AM
Oustanding, dakkon!!

I can almost feel my pant legs flappin' just looking at those two EP600s.

Enjoy!
Posted By: SBrown Re: The new addition... - 04/14/12 02:24 AM
Looks like your dogs enjoy the tunes as well. Those 600's are even bigger than I thought shocked That's sweet!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: The new addition... - 04/14/12 10:54 AM
Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy

Yeah, like they weren't doing that BEFORE you saw the photo!

Dakkon, that's amazing! Congratulations!
Posted By: BobKay Re: The new addition... - 04/14/12 01:23 PM
That's great, but I think the floor cushion seating is a bit too close to the TV.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: The new addition... - 04/14/12 01:52 PM
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy

Yeah, like they weren't doing that BEFORE you saw the photo!

Dakkon, that's amazing! Congratulations!

Okay, so I was just trying to cover it up by blaming dakkon's subs.

The dog wasn't around.
Posted By: Gary Vose Sr Re: The new addition... - 04/14/12 03:55 PM
You must live in a concrete fortes, how else could you keep the walls from caving in, or the roof in place.
Posted By: jakewash Re: The new addition... - 04/14/12 04:20 PM
That should be quite impressive, looks good too.
Posted By: dakkon Re: The new addition... - 04/14/12 06:49 PM
Right now, i think the dual 600's is the sweet spot... I dont have a mic or any computer software to read the room response, so you will have to take my "seat of the pants" readings... i can TOTALY tell that the room response has greatly smoothed out... MUCH fuller... earlier i listed to Metallica's master of puppets CD, this was almost as good as my old car stereo that had 3 10 W6's powered by a 1000W phoenix gold amp (90's U.S. made power), that would play to 146db... This setup is a heck of a LOT cleaner though.... I guess i would say this is like going from an inline 6cylinder BMW M3, or a 370z with its v6... To a C6 Z06 with a freaking Beast of a V8... All 3 cars are pretty fast, but one one can successfully argue against the raw power of the Z06....

You will have to bear with my car analogies, as this is the only type of context that i can put the experience in without using words like "amazing"/"warmer" and all the unquantifiable words that the reviewers like to use.....
Posted By: Wid Re: The new addition... - 04/14/12 09:58 PM

Very nice, I bet it sounds great.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: The new addition... - 04/14/12 10:48 PM
dakkon, please send your car analogy directly to Ken via a PM. He LOVES car analogies! grin
Posted By: pmbuko Re: The new addition... - 04/15/12 06:01 AM
Oooh, nice!

I can't help thinking the one on the right probably sounds better. laugh
Posted By: dakkon Re: The new addition... - 04/15/12 07:20 AM
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Oooh, nice!

I can't help thinking the one on the right probably sounds better. laugh

They both sound the same. The one on the right has the newest version of the amp inside.... it's amp is maybe 9 months old?
Posted By: Gary Vose Sr Re: The new addition... - 04/15/12 03:51 PM
Hi dakkon, great set up. Just wondering though, on your cube ft. in that space, along with configuration, and possible openness to a joining rooms. If this is the case (a none sealed HT room) what might be the over all cube ft.

I'm only asking as it will help me out immensely when doing my own HT set up later this year.
Posted By: dakkon Re: The new addition... - 04/15/12 04:27 PM
Sure Gary,

The main family room is 17X18X8' so that is 2,448cu/ft

The kitchen is right behind where the camera was sitting, and has about a 8ft wide connection between the family room and kitchen.

The kitchen is about 9X17X8 so 1,224cu/ft

The family room also opens to the forure and living room, which is to the left of that photo
combined they have an area of about 24X10X8 1,902

So
+1,224
+1,902
--------
5,574 cu/ft

This calculation is not including the hall way to the left of the photo though...I hope this helps you out. This house was built in 75, and is a somewhat open concept. However not to the extent that they are doing today.

Posted By: Gary Vose Sr Re: The new addition... - 04/15/12 06:50 PM
Thanks dak, that info does indeed help.I know the advantages of two subs vs one, which will be the route I'll be taking. Was the one 600 able to fully pressurize your space? Was it close to it's maximum limit for what you were wanting from it?
Posted By: dakkon Re: The new addition... - 04/15/12 08:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Gary Vose Sr
Was the one 600 able to fully pressurize your space?

I think that most people would be quite happy with one ep600 if they had my house... when i would step outside to take a phone call durring a movie, i could still hear the bass though the storm door to some degree... I would say buy 1 with your initial order, and see if they will "hold" a second one for you, so you can get the volume discount on it as well. Then you can decide if it will in fact be worth it to you to spend the extra money.

Originally Posted By: Gary Vose Sr
Was it close to it's maximum limit for what you were wanting from it?

The short answer would be "yeah".. But that is for what I was wanting from it..

I had the gain of the single amp at the 3 oclock position( this is pretty high, the input gain to the amp is a logarithmic algorithm and the 3 oclock is near the vertical portion i think); so, it was almost maxed out.. Since adding the second the gains are not as high. However, i am still fiddling them them a bit. Prior to receiving my second 600, i was using one 600 and one 8" JBL sub, from a HT in a box that i had around the house.

On a side note, if you have about the same amount of open space as i do, and want to play movies at a decent volume. You may want to think about power amps... I use to have a Marantz mm900 amp that was rated @ 135w per channel X5... That amp did not have enough power, i wound up driving several channels into clipping when i set everything up in this house... This is just to much air space for that amp.....

Just a thought, buy what you are planning on getting now. But, if you are getting a receiver make sure it has pre-outs, incase you decided you want to buy an external amp.
Posted By: Gary Vose Sr Re: The new addition... - 04/15/12 08:46 PM
Thanks again dak for the info. I know how I would like to put my HT together, as I get closer to that time frame I'll certainly be starting some threads here. There no way I'm going to miss out on the wealth of information I can gather from follow forum members.
Posted By: Murph Re: The new addition... - 04/16/12 06:49 PM
JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: medic8r Re: The new addition... - 04/16/12 07:01 PM
Sweet setup!
Posted By: dakkon Re: The new addition... - 04/17/12 03:27 AM
Originally Posted By: dakkon
I would say buy 1 with your initial order, and see if they will "hold" a second one for you

I have to change this recommendation...

You need to get 2, it is sooooo freaking awesome.....

Thanks, medic8r.. I am still getting use to it.. wink
Posted By: INANE Re: The new addition... - 04/17/12 03:49 AM
Originally Posted By: Murph
JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!

seconded
Posted By: dakkon Re: The new addition... - 04/19/12 03:05 AM
Watched unstoppable tonight.... Had to adjust the gains down on both of the 600's... the are now at about 1 oclock...
Posted By: Adrian Re: The new addition... - 04/19/12 01:06 PM
Nice system, Dak! I can't imagine what U571 or Master and Commander sounds and feels like on your set-up.
© Axiom Message Boards