Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Jumbo Why aren't my surrounds and subs working? - 09/21/20 07:11 AM
I have an abox A1 max Android box hooked up to a pioneer vsx-lx101 receiver via a hdmi cable and I'm not able to get any surround sound from it. The receiver is hooked up to the tv via a hdmi cable as well. I have a different android box hooked up to a different receiver in my house in the same manner and it works just fine.

On the remote there is a "status" button, when I have a movie playing if I push it, a box comes up on the tv saying:

"input:hdmi 3
Pcm
2.0 ch 48khz
Output:dts neo:6 cinema
5.1 channel"

I have a movie on kodi right now and when I goto the audio settings it says:

"audio stream english-aac stereo - 2 channels default, forced".

If I watch a movie on Amazon prime, it's still only 2 channels.

In the audio settings for the android box there are only 3 options.

The first is "dolby sounds" and in there the options are off, line and rf. The default was line and I tryed rf as well but there was no difference.

The second is "digital sounds" and in there the options are pcm, spdif raw and hdmi raw. The default setting was pcm but I've tried all three and again there was no difference.

The third option is "dts drcscale" *and in there are options from 0-100% in 10% increments. The default is 0 but I haven't tried changing to any other percentage

The android box is the only device I have hooked up to the receiver. I was initially thinking that the android box was the problem but just now I connected my phone via Bluetooth to the receiver and did a dts 5.1 surround sound test on YouTube and got some peculiar results.

When it did the test tones, the fronts and center worked properly but when it came to the rears, the sounds still came out of the front speakers and my subs did not turn on at all.

In the second part of the test it checks to see if the speakers are in phase and while it did that i had some sounds coming from my rear speakers. I don't know what to make of that???

When I do the test tones from my receiver, all of the speakers do what they are supposed to.

I'm inclined to think this is something to do with my receiver now.

I just did a firmware update on the receiver but it didn't make a difference.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to try to get this working properly?
Posted By: BBIBH Re: Why aren't my surrounds and subs working? - 09/21/20 11:11 AM
Have you tried swapping the android boxes to isolate that as a source of the problem?
Do you have another HDMI source and have you swapped the inputs to the receiver to test the original HDMI input?
Posted By: Mojo Re: Why aren't my surrounds and subs working? - 09/21/20 02:13 PM
YouTube is available in 2-channel only. During the phase testing, you had the Pioneer on PLII or Neo and that steered 2-channel out of phase information to the surrounds. That's how PLII and Neo work to simulate surround.

SPDIF raw is a bitstream for optical connections. HDMI raw is a bitstream for HDMI connections. Select HDMI raw. The Android box will send a bitstream to the Pioneer and the Pioneer will decode it into the correct format. The Pioneer may have some option you need to enable to make this happen.

DTS DRCscale is dynamic range compression. Your wife will love that. It limits dynamics so that all sounds don't exceed a normalized range. Good for relationships; terrible for audio.

Dolby sounds is a way to increase the volume of dialogue relative to other sounds.

You may also want to check if the Android box is on the latest version. Some manufacturers ship without full testing and follow up with new versions.
Posted By: Jumbo Re: Why aren't my surrounds and subs working? - 09/21/20 03:16 PM
It would be a major pain to swap the android boxes based on how I have everything setup.
I'm thinking it's just some settings that are wrong in the receiver so I'm hoping to leave swapping the android boxes towards the end of the troubleshooting process.
I just realized I have a laptop I can hook up and try to play a DVD. I will try that this afternoon.
I got the receiver about 4 years ago. It was brand new and I only took it out of the box to measure it, then it went back in the box for about a year because I was renovating my basement. When I finally did hook it up my wife gave birth to our first born and it's barely been used since. I turned the volume down on the subs and pretty much only watched the odd hockey game so I never noticed that the surround sound wasn't working until the other day when I was watching a movie and turned the volume on the subs back up only to realize they weren't doing anything. I'm not ruling it out yet but I would say it's doubtful that it's the hdmi port on the receiver.

I tried running the same YouTube test on my other receiver and all of the speakers except for the sub played the test tones so doesn't that mean that YouTube is outputting at least 5 channels?

I just compared the settings on my android box that is working, the default audio settings are basically the same between the two boxes. It's set to pcm and not hdmi raw on the working box.

The settings menu isn't very extensive on the pioneer receiver so I've gone through literally every setting but I don't see anything that could be preventibg the surround audio.

I will check the android version this afternoon as well
Posted By: Mojo Re: Why aren't my surrounds and subs working? - 09/21/20 03:26 PM
"I tried running the same YouTube test on my other receiver and all of the speakers except for the sub played the test tones so doesn't that mean that YouTube is outputting at least 5 channels?"

No, it does not. If your receiver or Android box is set to a simulated surround mode, like PLII or Neo, you will hear sound from all speakers. The stereo signal from Youtube is upmixed to simulated surround.

Make sure the Pioneer's Auto/Direct function is set to Auto via your remote. Set the box to HDMI raw. The Pioneer should then detect the bitstream and adjust to the correct sound mode (stereo, DD, DTS, etc).
Posted By: Jumbo Re: Why aren't my surrounds and subs working? - 09/22/20 01:13 AM
I choose hdmi raw and set to auto as you suggested...It didn't work.
When I hit the status button now it says:
Input:hdmi 3
Pcm
2.0 ch
Output: auto surround
2.1 ch

When I look at the actual receiver, when it's in auto mode it only shows the fl, fr and sw as being enabled. I think the subs are working but at a very, very low level. I can feel very minute movement on the actual sub if I touch it and it's barely audible. The volume on the subs is set at maybe 60% so I would expect a much louder output than its getting.
When I choose surround instead of auto, on the receiver itself it shows all of the speakers enabled but it doesn't actually use all of them.
I just tried a DVD in the laptop. I initially tried playing it using VLC player and it was no different, I then tried it with windows Media player and it worked, I was getting full surround and there was noticeable bass from the subs.
I hooked up the laptop to the same hdmi port as the android box so this confirms the hdmi port is good, and it appears to me that it must be a setting or settings in the android box that is preventing it from working.
Do you have any other suggestions?
Posted By: Mojo Re: Why aren't my surrounds and subs working? - 09/22/20 01:24 AM
That's great. You know the Pioneer, speakers and subs are all good.

Is the status button on the Android box or the Pioneer?

Can you confirm you are playing multi-channel material through the Android box?

Note that it's possible the implementation of the app you are trying to play material through (eg. Netflix) may not be implemented with multi-channel support on that box.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Why aren't my surrounds and subs working? - 09/22/20 02:44 AM
"Note that it's possible the implementation of the app you are trying to play material through (eg. Netflix) may not be implemented with multi-channel support on that box."

Geez. That's some bad English there.
Posted By: Jumbo Re: Why aren't my surrounds and subs working? - 09/22/20 04:32 AM
The status button is on the pioneer.

I just tried playing the same movie on Amazon prime on both of my android boxes. The one works fine the other doesn't play with surround.

These are the specs for the android box I'm using :

More Supports:
Support airplay/DLNA/Miracast &H.265
Support Decoder Format: HDMPEG1/2/4, H.265,4K-HD, HD AVC/VC-1, RM/RMVB, XVID/DIVX3/4/5/6, REALVIDEO8/9/10
Support Media Format: AVI/RM/RMVB/TS/VOB/MKV/MOV/ISO/WMV/ASF/FLV/DAT/MPG/MPEG
Support Music Format: MP3/WMA/AAC/WAV/OGG/AC3/DDP/TRUEHD/HD/FLAC/APE
Support Photo Format: HD JPEG/BMP/GIF/PNG/TIFF
Support Subtitle: SRT/SMI/SUB/SSA/IDX+USB
Support Language: English/French/German/Spanish/Italian and more.

I don't see anywhere in the Amazon app that shows what specific audio format is being used.

This is a newer and more expensive android box than the one that is working so I'm inclined to believe this one can do anything the other one can do
Posted By: Mojo Re: Why aren't my surrounds and subs working? - 09/22/20 04:50 AM
The Pioneer status reads:

Input:hdmi 3
Pcm
2.0 ch
Output: auto surround
2.1 ch

This means the Pioneer is receiving 2.0 channel audio in PCM from the Android box. The Pioneer is outputting 2.1 channel.

So the Pioneer is doing what it's supposed to do.

Why is the Android box outputting PCM when you've set it to output HDMI raw?

You've proved the Amazon movie is coming in via multi-channel using your other system. The other Android box is looking more and more suspect.

Sometimes "newer" means unproven. You may want to try updating the software on it if not already done so.
Posted By: Jumbo Re: Why aren't my surrounds and subs working? - 09/22/20 05:01 AM
I noticed that it still said pcm even though I changed it. I tried restarting it to see if it would make a difference but it didn't. If I goto the audio settings it shows that hdmi raw is selected so I can't explain whats going on there.

I attempted to update the box, it says everything is up to date.

There must be something that I'm missing for this to make any sense.

Maybe I'll try a factory reset on the box and see if that works. I'm running out of ideas
Posted By: Mojo Re: Why aren't my surrounds and subs working? - 09/22/20 05:13 AM
Is there any way to see, via the box's GUI, what the box is outputting as opposed to what it's set to?

A factory reset is a good idea.

What does the Pioneer status read when you change the box to PCM?
Posted By: Mojo Re: Why aren't my surrounds and subs working? - 09/22/20 05:41 AM
You're not going to like this. The specs for audio read:

Support Music Format: MP3/WMA/AAC/WAV/OGG/AC3/DDP/TRUEHD/HD/FLAC/APE

In there you see AC3. AC3 is Dolby Digital. But Amazon and Netflix stream in EAC3. EAC3 is Dolby Digital+.

Since the box doesn't support EAC3, it can only output stereo rather than multi-channel.
Posted By: Jumbo Re: Why aren't my surrounds and subs working? - 09/22/20 06:14 AM
I looked but couldn't find what it was actually outputting anywhere.

The status always says pcm regardless of what setting I choose.

I tried factory reset, it didn't work.

These are the specs for my box that is working:
MP3/WMA/AAC/WAV/OGG/AC3/DDP/TrueHD/DTS/DTS/HD/FLAC/APE

They are pretty much the same except the working box has dts.

I had another android box that was brand new in the box, it was supposed to be a gift for my brother in law but I hooked that up to try it and it doesn't work either. It has the identical specs to my box that is working.
Posted By: Jumbo Re: Why aren't my surrounds and subs working? - 09/22/20 09:49 PM
I tried hooking up the android box to my other receiver just to 100% rule out my pioneer receiver wasn't somehow preventing the surround on the android box. It's definitely the android box that is the root of the problem.
When I watch a movie in kodi with the working android box you can check the "audio stream" and it says 5.1 or 7.1 channel"
When I check with the android box that isn't working it says "2 channel (default)".
Somehow this android box is stuck in 2 channel audio mode
There are even kodi specific settings for the audio. I changed them to allow 5.1 but it didn't make a difference.
I couldn't get this box to communicate with my Sony receiver so I was forced to hook it up directly to the tv. Don't know if that's a related issue or something all together different.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Why aren't my surrounds and subs working? - 09/22/20 10:50 PM
I am not surprised.
Posted By: Jumbo Re: Why aren't my surrounds and subs working? - 09/23/20 07:59 PM
I managed to get surround sound when watching movies with kodi. There was a pass-through and stereo up mix setting that I enabled. It sounded a bit off but I think it's still better than the 2 channel sound it was outputting.
There are no audio settings that I can find anywhere in Netflix or Amazon prime unfortunately.
This is really annoying that it's so difficult to get it to work.
I contacted the person I purchased the android box from, maybe they can give me some answers.
Thanks for all of your help
Posted By: Mojo Re: Why aren't my surrounds and subs working? - 09/23/20 08:35 PM
It may be useful for you to know my Amazon Firestick 4K has been working flawlessly over the last year. I have it plugged into my 8 year-old Onkyo. The Onkyo does all the audio and video processing and fires it out to my not-so-smart nor so Sharp TV and my medley of Axioms.
Posted By: Jumbo Re: Why aren't my surrounds and subs working? - 09/25/20 01:47 AM
I've never used or seen a firestick in person. Pretty much everything I read online says an Android box is better than the firestick.
Obviously I will assume that Amazon prime will work without issue, how do kodi and Netflix work on it?
Posted By: Mojo Re: Why aren't my surrounds and subs working? - 09/25/20 01:52 AM
It all depends on how folks define "better". Perhaps an Android box allows you to find more content. I don't know. I can vouch for the plug and play of the Firestick 4K and also the top notch audio and video processing.

I don't use Kodi. Apparently Kodi can be installed on the Firestick.

Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube and Spotify are top notch.
© Axiom Message Boards