Axiom Home Page
Posted By: rrlev A-LFR replacements are in - 03/19/21 02:52 PM
Well the replacements came a few days ago for the A-LFRs which I'm finally getting around to unpacking (between 12 & 1 am instead of sleeping).

Not fully inspected yet but first impression ...

Gorgeous ...
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
(although I noticed there are a few indentation marks on one which I suspect came from something getting pressed into the sheet either before or during manufacture (have a few guesses) ... nothing unacceptable.)

Will be setting them up and giving them a listen tonight. I'm hoping to get back to the HT walls next month but have a bunch of stuff to do before then.

The upside to all this delay is that projector are evolving while dropping in price. Ditto, on the processor side too.
Posted By: Mojo Re: A-LFR replacements are in - 03/19/21 03:24 PM
That is a gorgeous finish!
Posted By: Kodiak Re: A-LFR replacements are in - 03/19/21 03:40 PM
Sweeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!! That finish is awesome!!!! Looks so good. What finish is it exactly?

Congrats!

Edit: I like the look of the outriggers too. Gives them a sturdy look. Are the outriggers designed to be “ floor de coupling?”

Congrats again. Super nice!
Posted By: rrlev Re: A-LFR replacements are in - 03/19/21 06:07 PM
I’m not exactly sure of the finish it was an unmarked sample Axiom sent me ...
I did ask a while back but never received an answer. The wood is Santos Rosewood which was the rosewood they used to use before it became too expensive.
Posted By: Kodiak Re: A-LFR replacements are in - 03/19/21 06:18 PM
Oh wow. Nice. Santos Rosewood. Very nice. They are spectacular looking.
Posted By: rrlev Re: A-LFR replacements are in - 03/19/21 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by Kodiak
Are the outriggers designed to be “ floor de coupling?”
Outriggers increase stability and look cool ... I don't think they are much different than using the standard feet. Actually, they use the same feet just a few inches further out. You can put the spikes on them if you wish.

Now as far as coupling goes ... that's not a simple subject and I'm not sure my intuitive sense would be correct ... so, I better stop there!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: A-LFR replacements are in - 03/19/21 09:01 PM
It is nice Axiom now includes carts with casters to help with tweaking placement and toe in, lol.
Posted By: rrlev Re: A-LFR replacements are in - 03/19/21 10:13 PM
yes, it's a nice option ...
But you have to pick it up and pay a $7 or $8 surcharge at & to Harbor Freight smile

BTW, the outriggers make adjusting the toe in a bit more difficult ...
might have to come up with something.
Posted By: aaaaaaaaaaaaa Re: A-LFR replacements are in - 03/19/21 10:21 PM
Mdf surfboards!
Posted By: Mojo Re: A-LFR replacements are in - 03/20/21 12:14 AM
I have successfully employed furniture sliders and coasters under my outriggers to significantly reduce the kinetic friction coefficient of my active LFRs/carpet system.
Posted By: rrlev Re: A-LFR replacements are in - 03/20/21 01:02 AM
kinetic friction? guess it was bookin' smile
and coasters? what did you put your drink on Mojo?
Posted By: Mojo Re: A-LFR replacements are in - 03/20/21 03:43 PM
It's a wonderful thing to be able to place my drink on whatever the hell I want. smile Right now my morning coffee is precariously balanced on my knee cap.

Yeah, there's static and kinetic friction. With polycarbonate coasters under the outriggers, I can toe the LFRs by extending my left pinkie from a contracted position. My left pinkie is weaker than my right.

Try it. Roll your left fingers into a fist. With the pinkie contracted, raise the pinkie knuckle so it stands proud of all other knuckles. Now extend the pinkie. Contract, extend, contract, extend. See how supremely satisfying that action is?

Get the whole family in on that good fun!
Posted By: rrlev Re: A-LFR replacements are in - 03/20/21 04:12 PM
I was just giving you trouble on the kinetic friction statement because I can’t even break static. Have to resort to picking the damn thing up.

Think your method might be simpler then what I was thinking of but I might have to get it off the concrete. Then again It might be easier just use the materials I have on hand.
Posted By: Mojo Re: A-LFR replacements are in - 03/20/21 05:34 PM
Static friction is always greater than kinetic friction. Feel free to use your index finger or thumb if you have a gimpy pinky.

Concrete is nasty but furniture sliders meant for hardwood will work.
Posted By: rrlev Re: A-LFR replacements are in - 03/20/21 07:17 PM
Think the furniture sliders would not be good for too long ...
Anyway i already created something from stuff I had lying around.
Posted By: Mojo Re: A-LFR replacements are in - 03/20/21 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by rrlev

Wow! You must be very creative and skilled.
Posted By: rrlev Re: A-LFR replacements are in - 03/20/21 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by Mojo
Originally Posted by rrlev

Wow! You must be very creative and skilled.
He said with a 100% sincerity....
Posted By: Mojo Re: A-LFR replacements are in - 03/21/21 12:59 AM
Well...yeah. I mean, I remember when I was creative with my original sliders. I cut Axiom cardboard into perfect trapezoidal rectangles and slid it under the outriggers. That's me. No real tools. Just some eye-balling and my Cold Steel Tanto. So I can't imagine what you created given your power tools, Apple gear and other fancy gimmicks!
Posted By: aaaaaaaaaaaaa Re: A-LFR replacements are in - 03/21/21 01:08 AM
Wait, you are trying to pin down final exact L/R positions at this state of construction? I mean, you can get close, but the sound you experience now shouldnt be similar to a finished room. It will sound considerably worse until the carpet goes in.
Posted By: aaaaaaaaaaaaa Re: A-LFR replacements are in - 03/21/21 01:14 AM
Pop a balloon. You are nowhere near agonizing over placement yet. smile
Posted By: rrlev Re: A-LFR replacements are in - 03/21/21 01:38 AM
Trevor,
I'm doing two things:
1) setting up some new speakers to listen to ... for enjoyment and testing
2) getting a general sense of the main placement so I can think about screen size and finalize surround placement. I have an opportunity to verify where the in-wall surround wiring goes before closing in the walls ... why not take it.
Posted By: rrlev Re: A-LFR replacements are in - 03/21/21 01:45 AM
Originally Posted by Mojo
I remember when I was creative with my original sliders. I cut Axiom cardboard into perfect trapezoidal rectangles and slid it under the outriggers.
Actually that was creative ... I'll go with your slider solution once I'm off concrete ... it's simpler and easier to do. Anyway I wanted to setup now ... didn't want to wait on stuff to arrive.
Posted By: rrlev Re: A-LFR replacements are in - 03/21/21 01:53 AM
Originally Posted by TrevorM
Pop a balloon. You are nowhere near agonizing over placement yet. smile
Don't know what that would buy me at this stage in the game. I'll get the RT-whatever when I have real walls.
Posted By: Rebulx Re: A-LFR replacements are in - 03/22/21 03:01 AM
rrlev, i'm really looking forward to your in room pics and feedback on the actives. That speaker is gorgeous. I recall you getting some damaged speakers many months ago, are these the replacements? These seem to have a much better finish. Great job selecting them!

Love to see your room pics once you get things setup.
Posted By: Rebulx Re: A-LFR replacements are in - 03/22/21 03:08 AM
Looks like a nice high gloss finish rev, can you confirm?
Posted By: rrlev Re: A-LFR replacements are in - 03/22/21 11:02 AM
Definitely Not high gloss. It looks like a semi .... I was going for a satin finish to keep reflections down but this is good.
Posted By: michael_d Re: A-LFR replacements are in - 03/22/21 04:37 PM
I have a set of black speakers with a piano finish. Down rite PITA to keep them shiny. Just glancing at them creates a blemish..... Never again.

I like the finish on yours rrlev. Looks like a great compromise to achieve what your goals are.

I'm looking forward to seeing your "HT build" thread....with progress pics! smile
Posted By: Rebulx Re: A-LFR replacements are in - 03/26/21 05:09 AM
really? that speaker looks amazing! what was the finish?
Posted By: rrlev Re: A-LFR replacements are in - 03/26/21 07:20 AM
I can only guess at the stain. I received two samples ... natural and something I referred to as “red” but really have no idea since it was unmarked
Posted By: Mojo Re: A-LFR replacements are in - 03/26/21 05:05 PM
It looks like chestnut or bordeaux.
© Axiom Message Boards