Axiom Home Page
Posted By: maxatjob314 Two subwoofers - 09/02/05 07:03 PM
How do you plug in two subwoofers if you only have one subwoofer input on your receiver. Can someone help me out with this? I have an HK AVR-7300 by the way, if that helps at all. Thanks folks.
Posted By: RickF Re: Two subwoofers - 09/02/05 07:09 PM
I believe you would use a 'Y' splitter on the sub's cable. You can buy the cables that are already split. That's how I had two subs connected to my system.

Here you go...

' Y-Connector

Connection that splits a single cable into two so that it may begin from one source with one connection and terminate in two connections on two components (or it may go the other way where two outputs are joined to the same input but this may not work if both outputs are sending information at the same time).

A Y-connector looks like the capital letter “Y” with the single end at the bottom connecting to the single cable and the split or branched V lines going out to the two connecting cables. Y-connectors are often used with multiple subwoofers when there is only one subwoofer output on a receiver or preamplifier. In such a situation, the output from the receiver or preamplifier attaches to the bottom of the “Y” while two more cables attach the upper branching lines. These two cables connect to the inputs of the two subwoofers so that both subs may be driven from a single output source connection.'

Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Two subwoofers - 09/02/05 07:21 PM
Some subs; depending on the amp, may have a line-in AND a line-out connector. If you have a line-out, you can sometimes just daisy chain the subs.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Two subwoofers - 09/02/05 08:48 PM
I plan adding a second sub at some point and will use a Y Connector (splitter) to route to a second EP350, or a EP500 if I can talk the wife into it
Posted By: maxatjob314 Re: Two subwoofers - 09/02/05 09:23 PM
Thanks for the replies. I may try both and see what sounds better. I have a Martin logan Grotto Sub and I am pretty sure it has a line out. But for logistics it may just be easier to go with a y connector because I don't think i want the subs on the same wall. thanks again.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Two subwoofers - 09/02/05 11:23 PM
I think a Y connector is the way to go. Many subs insert a high pass filter (ie remove the bass) between line in and line out; you don't want that
Posted By: Wid Re: Two subwoofers - 09/02/05 11:40 PM

This would be a perfect application for an Outlaw ICBM.
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Two subwoofers - 09/02/05 11:53 PM
Yup...some do, and some don't.

That's why I said "sometimes".... My plate amp, for example has a high pass filter on the speaker level outputs and straight through on the line level. Dosen't seem very consistent does it?
Posted By: JohnK Re: Two subwoofers - 09/03/05 04:01 AM
Max, your Grotto does have an unfiltered line-level sub output which can feed a second sub. If you were going to locate the second sub very close(within about 1/4 wavelength)to the first one you'd get as much as an extra 3dB of reinforcement, for a total 6dB level increase with the second sub. The short cable that would be used in that case could run from sub to sub. If, on the other hand, you locate the subs in the middle of opposite walls(just the 3dB level increase)to partially nullify some room modes, as you indicate it would probably be more convenient to locate a y-connector at the receiver and run separate cables to each sub.
© Axiom Message Boards