Axiom Home Page
Posted By: BobKay Just Ten--Forever - 05/30/12 02:07 PM
Everyday I leave the house later than I plan. The reason is always the same---choosing which cd's I'm going to bring with me for the day @ work.

Yesterday, I though for a moment, "What if I didn't have 900 of 'em? What if I had only ten? I realized that my Top Ten probably whould change often over time, especially 'cause it has!

So, this question is of this moment. It's Fahrenheit 451 for music. Which 10 would you hide from the authorites--- today?
Posted By: BBIBH Re: Just Ten--Forever - 05/30/12 03:37 PM
Bob, you might investigate a new fangled thingy that apparently can store many songs, allow you to connect it to a larger amp and speakers.

....I believe it is called an iPod. :-)
Posted By: bridgman Re: Just Ten--Forever - 05/30/12 03:45 PM
Oh geez... so many questions.

Do we still have radio or is this a "desert island" scenario where this is all the music we get ?

Can we include "best of" albums ? If not, and assuming no radio etc, here's a list to kick off the action :

1. Tangerine Dream - Cyclone

2. Curved Air - Air Cut

3. Curved Air - Airborne

4. Supertramp - Crime of the Century

5. Pink Floyd - Meddle

6. Heart - Dreamboat Annie

7. B B Gabor - first album

8. B-52s - first album

9. Pictures at an Expedition (can't find the LP and CDs seem to be a different performance, but it was an old solo piano recording by Vladimir Ashkenazy)

10. Schubert's Symphony No. 8 (whatever recording JohnK recommends ;))

You mentioned CDs to bring with you (implying car & work) so there's a bit of a car bias here. Haven't figured out why I would be driving to work on a desert island but that's a topic for the "ask me anything" thread.

EDIT - I have the following recording of Pictures at an Exhibition (among others) and this is definitely *not* the Ashkenazy performance I am talking about... and given my inability to find the correct performance I'm starting to wonder if it was performed by Ashkenazy after all.

these aren't the droids you're looking for
Posted By: BobKay Re: Just Ten--Forever - 05/30/12 04:18 PM
Originally Posted By: bridgman

9. Pictures at an Expedition

I know that piece. It was by a band called Doctor Livingston.

Very intersting mix. Thanks for posting it.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Just Ten--Forever - 05/30/12 04:25 PM
Do we still have radio or is this a "desert island" scenario where this is all the music we get?

I'm assuming desert island, where the Professor (JohnK) has fashioned a CD player, solid state AVR, and three-way speakers entirely out of coconuts, with Gilligan (BobKay) generating electricity via an attached bicycle.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Just Ten--Forever - 05/30/12 04:31 PM
Wow! It's Mike AND John! Both of them, back in one thread! Some kind of cosmic alignment, there. Welcome back, you guys.

Bob, I think you're just trolling on JP's behalf.

JP: "hey, let's get them to waste time deciding on some 'top ten' album list. That could be revealing."
Bob: "yeah, but what's 'the hook'? That tired old 'list' convention won't lure them compellingly anymore."
JP: "you could TRY to be a more sympathetic figure for a change?"
Bob: "you think they'd buy it?"
JP: "Well, it's another theory to test. Maybe if you throw in some literary references and some anti-establishment nuance, too. They can't resist that stuff."

Here's today's list. All rights reserved.

The Who - Quadrophenia
Grace Potter and the Nocturnals - Nothing But The Water
Diana Krall - The Girl in the Other Room
Rush - Moving Pictures
Foo Fighters - Skin and Bones
Lyle Lovett - The Road to Ensenada
Adele - 21
Elvis Costello - My Aim Is True
AC/DC - If you want blood...
Yes - Fragile

Now, I'm going to find Curved Air on Spotify.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Just Ten--Forever - 05/30/12 04:31 PM
Originally Posted By: medic8r
Do we still have radio or is this a "desert island" scenario where this is all the music we get?

I'm assuming desert island, where the Professor (JohnK) has fashioned a CD player, solid state AVR, and three-way speakers entirely out of coconuts, with Gilligan (BobKay) generating electricity via an attached bicycle.

Where'd the bicyle come from? Was in it Ginger's luggage?
Posted By: medic8r Re: Just Ten--Forever - 05/30/12 04:41 PM
Made of coconut wood, silly. Watch out for splinters.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Just Ten--Forever - 05/30/12 04:42 PM
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Wow! It's Mike AND John! Both of them, back in one thread! Some kind of cosmic alignment, there. Welcome back, you guys.

Bob, I think you're just trolling on JP's behalf.

JP: "hey, let's get them to waste time deciding on some 'top ten' album list. That could be revealing."
Bob: "yeah, but what's 'the hook'? That tired old 'list' convention won't lure them compellingly anymore."
JP: "you could TRY to be a more sympathetic figure for a change?"
Bob: "you think they'd buy it?"
JP: "Well, it's another theory to test. Maybe if you throw in some literary references and some anti-establishment nuance, too. They can't resist that stuff."

Here's today's list. All rights reserved.

The Who - Quadrophenia
Grace Potter and the Nocturnals - Nothing But The Water
Diana Krall - The Girl in the Other Room
Rush - Moving Pictures
Foo Fighters - Skin and Bones
Lyle Lovett - The Road to Ensenada
Adele - 21
Elvis Costello - My Aim Is True
AC/DC - If you want blood...
Yes - Fragile

Now, I'm going to find Curved Air on Spotify.

Cool list, Tom. Still working on mine. FTR, I'm not sufficiently magnanimous to troll for someone else.

Also, I think it's wonderful that you spend time imagining what others talk about behind your back. Wonderful AND telling.

When JP and I DO conspire, there is no "them," Tom, only "you."
Ha! JP asking me to be sympathetic. That's rich! He wouldn't bother to waste that much breath for such a notion.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Just Ten--Forever - 05/30/12 05:12 PM
Can't say that this was how I had planned to spend my lunch break. Bob's premeditated agitation post was irresistible.

Sugar – Copper Blue
Rush – Moving Pictures
Everclear – So Much for the Afterglow
Pink Floyd – The Wall
Green Day – American Idiot
Ben Folds – Rockin’ the Suburbs
XTC – Oranges and Lemons
The Beatles – Revolver
The Juliana Hatfield Three – Become What You Are
They Might Be Giants – Here Comes Science

It was especially painful to leave off Nirvana/Foo Fighters, the Who, and R.E.M.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Just Ten--Forever - 05/30/12 05:22 PM
Boy, this is tough. I kept coming up with 15, so here's my most severe edit, not in any order:

Beatles...Yesterday and Today
Beach Boys...Surf's Up
Bowie...Ziggie
XTC...Nonesuch
Queen...Sheer Heart Attack
Steely Dan...Aja
Yes...Topogaphic Oceans
Elton...Honky Chateau
Michael Penn...March
The Who...Sellout

There are so many "late model" ones that I truly love, but they just can't supplant any of these.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Just Ten--Forever - 05/30/12 05:24 PM
Topographic Oceans? Does Patrick Moraz have the goods on you or something?
Posted By: medic8r Re: Just Ten--Forever - 05/30/12 05:35 PM
Tom, I had to look this up, given the many changes to the Yes lineup over time, but Moraz replaced Rick Wakeman on keyboards on Relayer, the album just after Tales from Topographic Oceans.

The notable change on Tales from Topographic Oceans was Alan White replacing Bill Bruford on drums.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Just Ten--Forever - 05/30/12 05:43 PM
Oh.

My joke doesn't really work, then.

I just lump "Relayer" and "Oceans" together into that impossibly self-indulgent era.

Plus, trying to listen to them now just gives me hella massive flashbacks.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Just Ten--Forever - 05/30/12 05:45 PM
Nice info, JP. I should have remembered that. As long as it was Howe, Anderson and Squire, I was never disappointed by their choices of keyboards and drums. But I really did like Trevor Horn when Howe wasn't around.

D'ja ever hear the one w/o Squire? It's very not good.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Just Ten--Forever - 05/30/12 05:54 PM
Haven't heard the Squire-less Yes. I'm a somewhat casual Yes fan. I have The Yes Album, Fragile, Yessongs, 90125, Big Generator, & Union. Saw them (all 8 of them) on the Union tour in 1991.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Just Ten--Forever - 05/30/12 07:02 PM
Does Patrick Moraz have the goods on you or something?

I do have a copy of the Refugee album (aka The Nice with Pat Moraz instead of Keith Emerson, but with a different musical style) but to the best of my knowledge I was neither coerced nor blackmailed into buying it.

Actually, now that I finally found my Discwasher I can dig out the album and start to play it again.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Just Ten--Forever - 05/30/12 07:16 PM
Does Patrick Moraz have the goods on you or something?

I do have a copy of the Refugee album (aka The Nice with Pat Moraz instead of Keith Emerson, but with a different musical style) but to the best of my knowledge I was neither coerced nor blackmailed into buying it.

Actually, now that I finally found my Discwasher I can dig out the album and start to play it again.

I had that, too, as well as all of "The Nice" LP's. I don't think that they hold-up very well, but I'll be intersted to hear your take on Refugee--- after 40 years (ouch).

YES w/o Squire is: (Duh) "Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe (unoriginal)."

Nice cover, though. Now there's a long marriage, YES and Roger Dean.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Just Ten--Forever - 05/30/12 09:28 PM
I actually kind of liked ABWH. Tony Levin played bass.

I think the Trevor you're thinking of for when Howe wasn't around was Rabin, not Horn. Yes, I know Trevor Horn was the singer on Drama and a longtime producer. But Howe and Horn were both on Drama.

Progressive rock is a rabbit hole.

I saw Patrick Moraz play in Seattle some years ago. Great musician. Weird guy.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Just Ten--Forever - 05/30/12 09:41 PM
Yes, Rabin. Thanks. Didn't Trevor Horn shoot his wife?
Tony Levin can play on anything and I'd listen. I'll bet he's taller than JP!
Posted By: bridgman Re: Just Ten--Forever - 05/31/12 12:45 AM
I saw Tony Levin perform a couple of times, first with Peter Gabriel and then with King Crimson. I think it was the Three of a Perfect Pair tour but not sure... all I remember is that I was off to the right of the stage so all I could see was Adrian Belew pogoing around on stage playing guitar... didn't know who he was but his behaviour didn't seem like what I expected from Robert Fripp. Right near the end (after Red IIRC) the guy who I had figured for a roadie sitting in the corner stood up briefly and I realized *that* was Fripp, not the guy bouncing around center stage wink

Levin was awesome in the Gabriel concert... played stick maybe on half or more of the songs, and the sound is just hypnotic.

EDIT -- hey, for anyone looking for things to do this summer :

Adrien Belew, Tony Levin and others touring and hosting a music camp
Posted By: JohnK Re: Just Ten--Forever - 05/31/12 03:02 AM
John, if it isn't the Ashkenazy Pictures, listen to the samples of others to see if by chance you hear something familiar. There's a fairly long list, of course, but some of the older ones are Horowitz, Janis and Graffman.

On the Schubert 8th, I'd suggest Carlos Kleiber .
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Just Ten--Forever - 05/31/12 03:27 AM
1. The Beatles -The Beatles
2. Pink floyd - The Wall
3. The Cars - Candy O

thinking about the rest
Posted By: JohnK Re: Just Ten--Forever - 05/31/12 03:38 AM
Bob, I'd have to take to the Island nine of the list I gave to Buddy last week here , The Planets, Daphnis et Chloe, Rachmaninoff symphonies, Hungarian Dances, Cinderella, Dvorak Cello Concerto, Ma Vlast, Respighi and Latin American collection. Since I didn't include any vocal items there I'd have to add the most beautiful vocal recording I've ever heard, the Anna Moffo collection with Stokowski here or here .
Posted By: BobKay Re: Just Ten--Forever - 05/31/12 03:50 AM
Thanks for adding, John. Gee, in the 50's, that list could have brought you before a Senate sub-committee hearing. Come to think of it, American music hasn't fared very well thus far for anyone who posted. Wazzup wid dat? No Dylan?
Posted By: CV Re: Just Ten--Forever - 05/31/12 04:17 AM
My list is always changing, too, but here's what I'm feeling right now, in no particular order:

• Regina Spektor - Soviet Kitsch
  • Emily Wells - The Symphonies: Dreams Memories & Parties
  • Marina and the Diamonds - The Family Jewels
  • Rasputina - Oh Perilous World
  • Cake - Fashion Nugget
  • Weezer - Weezer (the blue album)
  • CSS - La liberación
  • Fannypack - So Stylistic
  • Cœur de Pirate - Blonde
  • Sinéad O'Connor - I do not want I haven't got

Super impossible to choose. I don't think Regina's made her best album yet, but I needed her represented, so I went with the first album of hers I got. I think the Emily Wells album would go in my list no matter what. I could take any Cake album, really, but again, I went with the first one I heard. Oh, and if it's not cheating, I'll take the deluxe editions of the albums that have them, so I can get the greatest number of tracks possible.

There are a ton of other artists and albums fighting for these spots, but I think I'd fare well with these.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Just Ten--Forever - 05/31/12 06:34 AM
OK, let's see if I can play.

• Midnight Oil - Diesel and Dust
  • The KLF - White Room
  • Rise Robots Rise - Spawn
  • Portishead - Roseland NYC Live
  • The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin
  • Björk - Vespertine
  • Beck - Sea Change
  • Blur - Think Tank
  • The Postal Service - Give Up
  • Deadmau5 - For Lack of a Better Name

I think I could live with those.
Posted By: Shane White Re: Just Ten--Forever - 05/31/12 07:09 AM
Originally Posted By: BobKay

YES w/o Squire is: (Duh) "Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe (unoriginal)."

Yes smile I have the album of the same name, with a Roger Dean cover.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Just Ten--Forever - 05/31/12 01:12 PM
Originally Posted By: CV
My list is always changing, too, but here's what I'm feeling right now, in no particular order:

• Regina Spektor - Soviet Kitsch
  • Emily Wells - The Symphonies: Dreams Memories & Parties
  • Marina and the Diamonds - The Family Jewels
  • Rasputina - Oh Perilous World
  • Cake - Fashion Nugget
  • Weezer - Weezer (the blue album)
  • CSS - La liberación
  • Fannypack - So Stylistic
  • Cœur de Pirate - Blonde
  • Sinéad O'Connor - I do not want I haven't got

Super impossible to choose. I don't think Regina's made her best album yet, but I needed her represented, so I went with the first album of hers I got. I think the Emily Wells album would go in my list no matter what. I could take any Cake album, really, but again, I went with the first one I heard. Oh, and if it's not cheating, I'll take the deluxe editions of the albums that have them, so I can get the greatest number of tracks possible.

There are a ton of other artists and albums fighting for these spots, but I think I'd fare well with these.

Charles, I'm shocked! There are musicians with penises on your list! I was really expecting all female vocalists. I guess you don't fall into any of the psychotic parameters set up for this thread by JP. Whew! That coulda been a close one.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Just Ten--Forever - 05/31/12 01:15 PM
If I had to just choose 10 discs, I probably wouldn't choose any. I get tired of anything over and over again.
Posted By: RickF Re: Just Ten--Forever - 05/31/12 01:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
If I had to just choose 10 discs, I probably wouldn't choose any. I get tired of anything over and over again.

This.

I was just thinking that exact thought several minutes ago while reading through the thread.

Posted By: CV Re: Just Ten--Forever - 05/31/12 04:41 PM

Okay, Ken. Just for you, how about you only have ten days to live, too, so you won't tire of your choices.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Just Ten--Forever - 05/31/12 08:19 PM
Originally Posted By: CV
Okay, Ken ... you only have ten days to live ... so you won't tire of your choices.

You weren't supposed to spill the beans, Charles!!
Posted By: SBrown Re: Just Ten--Forever - 05/31/12 10:45 PM
I think at that point, I would be sharing the music. cool

Posted By: Lampshade Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/01/12 02:48 AM
I might bring ten copies of my favorite cd.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/01/12 03:17 AM
If you're tired of "anything" that would have to be repeated very frequently, you still haven't found the right music for you.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/01/12 04:19 AM
I don't think your brain works the same as mine, John.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/01/12 05:01 AM
4. Carlos Santana - Moonflower
Posted By: medic8r Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/01/12 06:26 PM
So you'd rather have no music at all?

I understand your point - only ten discs would be very limiting. That's why most, if not all, of us own way more than ten albums.

But I'm sure you'd agree that some of your albums stand up to repeated listening better than others. And some of them are just so good that you'd want to be able to listen to them once in a while if you were stuck on a desert island.

So, the way I see this exercise playing out, I hope you have fun in a world where the only music you hear is what you can hum in your head. I can do that too, plus, I can listen to one of my favorite albums once in a while. Neener, neener. wink
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/01/12 06:30 PM
I can hum.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/01/12 06:53 PM
Ken, I found your new avatar.

You'll just have to 'shop on a ponytail and you'll be good to go.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/01/12 07:10 PM
My cat looks at me funny when I hum.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/01/12 07:11 PM
Is that what your avatar represents?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/01/12 07:13 PM
My, but what big teeth you have!
Posted By: J. B. Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/01/12 07:19 PM
re. your HT, do you have 2 centers and 2 height ?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/01/12 07:27 PM
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
My butt, what big teeth you have!

Fixed it for ya.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/01/12 07:48 PM
OK, fine, I'll take a swing at it. <grumble> Let's see...

The Beatles - Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Audioslave - Audioslave
Beethoven's 9th
Bela Fleck - Perpetual Motion
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Alison Krauss + Union Station - Live
Dave Brubeck - Time Further Out
Dave Carter & Tracy Grammar - Drum Hat Buddha
Mark Knopfler - The Ragpicker's Dream
Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies

We'll go with that for now, but I'm sure upon further reflection, I'd probably sub some of those out.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/01/12 07:58 PM
Aw crap, I would really like to stick the soundtrack to O Brother Where Art Thou in there. Maybe I can wedge it into one of the CD cases with something else? Hey, if i take out the plastic CD holder bits, I can fit WAY more CDs in than just 10... hmm. Perhaps sub out Master of Puppets with Live Shit: Binge & Purge, then I can use the double wide triple CD case to hold all sorts of stuff.

What, we're not supposed to game the system?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/01/12 08:08 PM
Ken, now that you've cooperated and listed your ten choices, we've all decided that we don't like your selections.

Please re-submit.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/01/12 08:08 PM
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
My cat looks at me funny when I hum.

You're supposed to use your throat.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/01/12 08:24 PM
You forgot Poland.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/01/12 08:35 PM
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Ken, now that you've cooperated and listed your ten choices, we've all decided that we don't like your selections.

Please re-submit.

laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/01/12 08:44 PM
1. Gipsy Kings - Cantos De Amor.
2. Beatles - The White Album.
3. Cream - Wheels of Fire.
4. Shakira - Pies Descalzos.
5. Norah Jones - Come Away With Me.
6. Diana Krall - From This Moment On.
7. Cat Stevens - Tea for the Tillerman.
8. Dave Matthews/Tim Reyonlads - Live at Radio City CD.
9. Chron. of Narnia: Lion, Witch, Wardrobe CD.
10. Celtic Woman - Songs from the Heart.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/01/12 08:45 PM
Peter reminded me, I'm subbing in Mad Season for the AIC album.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/01/12 08:50 PM
And not a Cat Stevens album among them.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/01/12 08:52 PM
You missed #7.
Posted By: SRoode Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/01/12 09:44 PM
They Might Be Giants – Here Comes Science

I would need a lot of time to really think about this list. I can honestly say this one would probably not make it, but only because I never would have thought to consider it. Great pick!
Posted By: whippersnapper Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/01/12 10:24 PM
Based on how I feel about music right now, and sticking with pop music (maybe I'll do a classical list later), I guess I'd pick:

1. Porcupine Tree "Deadwing"
2. Chet Atkins "Sails"
3. Camel "I Can See Your House From Here"
4. Max Webster "A Million Vacations" (Hey, it's a desert island with a beach, right?)
5. Mike Rutherford "Small Creep's Day"
6. Peter Gabriel "Secret World Live"
7. Yes "Going For the One"
8. Grand Funk "Live"
9. Joe Satriani "Surfing With the Alien"
10. Frank Zappa "The Greatest Band You Never Heard In Your Life"

No doubt I've missed things that will have me weeping and gnashing my teeth on my lonely island...
Posted By: bridgman Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/01/12 11:18 PM
Speaking of gaming the system...

If we all ended up on the same island (or at least if our CDs all ended up on the same island) we'd have the start of a mighty fine record collection.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/02/12 08:35 AM
C'mon, Ken; which performance of the Beethoven 9th? Would the one with the squeaky chair passage which Beethoven added after consultation with Mozart still be your favorite?
Posted By: BobKay Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/02/12 06:02 PM
Speaking of gaming the system...

If we all ended up on the same island (or at least if our CDs all ended up on the same island) we'd have the start of a mighty fine record collection.

I agree. It'd also save a few fisticuffs fuled by coconut/urine fermented "sauterne." But I'll bet it'd still get all "Lord-of-the-Flies"y pretty fast, dontcha think?

No one caught it, but I was thinking less desert island and more Fahrenheit 451. I guess Ray Bradbury is dead, again. Pretty cool (British) film, too!
Posted By: fredk Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/03/12 01:31 AM

I'd pay good money to watch that remake!

I can't believe I misse this thread over the last couple of days. 10 disks is tough.
Posted By: fredk Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/03/12 01:39 AM
1. Yes, Close to the Edge
2. Dave Brubek, Live in the US, Live in the UK
3. Led Zeppilin 1
4. Dire Straits, Live at the BBC
5. ELP, debut album
6. Pink Floyd Meddle
7. Peter Gabriel, Security
8. Mike Oldfield, Tubular Bells
9. Dylan and The Band, Before the Flood
10. Crosby Stills and Nash, album of the same name
Posted By: jakewash Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/03/12 05:37 AM
I think I would end up grabbing a number of the Greatisit hits discs we have and a few others.

INXS - Hits
Dire Straits - Money for Nothing
Boston - Boston
Pink Floyd - Wish you were here
ELO - All over the World
Diana Krall - Greatist Hits
Van Halen -1984
Led Zepplin - In through the Outdoor
Kings of Leon - Because of the night
Green Day - American Idiot
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/03/12 02:49 PM
My list (in no particular order):

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream Hated this album at first, but then something clicked into place and it has been my favorite ever since.

Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water Every song is catchy. Every song gets stuck in my head. Every song makes me wish I could sing better.

Radiohead - OK Computer An epic album that left me a bit confused after the first listen. I wasn't prepared for such interesting songs and structures. Radiohead, I would like more albums like this, please.

Paul McCartney - McCartney What, a self-recorded homespun record from a member of one of the most influential bands of all time?? That's precisely why I like it. It's intimate in a different kind of way and perfect because of it.

Depeche Mode - Violator A band that's been around for three decades. At the top of their game on this album.

John Lennon - Plastic Ono Band An album of primal therapy and exorcising demons. Political, personal, and revealing.

Iron and Wine - Endless Numbered Days Achingly beautiful. Makes me smell the fresh cut grass of summer and dig my toes into the dirt.

Beatles - Revolver So many iconic albums in their catalog, this one stands out to me as there most consistent.

Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape Big hooks and big applause (from me).

Jimmy Eat World - Clarity Okay, so Bleed American had more hits, why do I listen to this album more? It's sneaky good. Really freakin' good. And Jimmy, why do all your other albums feel distant and calculated?
Posted By: fredk Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/03/12 05:03 PM
It's cool to see some of the artists I considered and dropped on other lists.

Cat Stevens' Tea for the Tillerman is an amazing album. Simon and Garfunkel wrote a huge number of incredible songs over their long careers. Depeche Mode are not exactly a household name, yet a great band. I didn't think I would see Dave Brubeck on anyone Else's list.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/04/12 02:55 PM
The repsonses have been pretty cool and really interesting. Thanks everyone!

I'm sort of surprised that there are several artists who pop up on almost everyone's lists. I'm also surprised that some of the same artists appear on both younger and older people's lists.

So many older albums. I guess I can't be sure if I'll really wanna listen to My Chemical Romance in 20 years, even if I'm dead before then. Seems others felt the same way---"If I've been listening to it regularly for 20+ years now, I guess I'd still be enjoying it in the future."
Posted By: medic8r Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/04/12 03:15 PM
Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

This would have been on my list for most of the last twenty years. Haven't given it a full listen in a while, though some songs actively circulate through my gym mix.

Quote:
Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water

A classmate and I played Simon and Garfunkel in our high school lip synch contest. We "performed" Mrs. Robinson, which took a weird turn later when another kid realized that he could substitute the name of a fellow student, Margaret Robinson. He went around the halls singing, "So here's to you, Margaret Robinson ..."

Quote:
Radiohead - OK Computer

This album is such a critical darling that I need to dust it off and try it again. Like you, I was underwhelmed at first. Unlike you, I gave up on it. Damn ADHD!

Quote:
Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape Big hooks and big applause (from me).

Big ... me. "Big Me" is on their first album, silly! Seriously, this was in my top twenty and was the painful cut that I alluded to in my post.

Quote:
Jimmy Eat World - Clarity Okay, so Bleed American had more hits ...

I LOVE Bleed American! It is solid all the way through. I've always wondered why I don't have any of their other albums, so I think I know which one I have to get now.

Thanks, musical brother from another mother!!!
Posted By: Adrian Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/04/12 07:24 PM
Physical Graffiti, Led Zeppelin
Surrender, Jane Monheit
Brothers in Arms, Dire Straits
Greatest Hits, Eagles(if we're allowed collections)
Mask and Mirror, Loreena McKennitt
Hot Rocks, Rolling Stones
Red Album, Beatles
Chronicles, CCR
Live Rust, Neil Young
Yellow Brick Road, Elton John

any of these could be traded for other titles if someone gets stranded on the island next to me. Brothers in Arms for Crime of the Century anyone?
Posted By: fredk Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/04/12 10:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Adrian
Live Rust, Neil Young

Great disk! It almost made my list.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/05/12 12:12 AM

Quote:
Jimmy Eat World - Clarity Okay, so Bleed American had more hits ...

I LOVE Bleed American! It is solid all the way through. I've always wondered why I don't have any of their other albums, so I think I know which one I have to get now.

Thanks, musical brother from another mother!!!

JP, both albums are so close and it's seems easy to give the nod to Bleed American with all the hit singles, but Clarity wins in the underdog role.

Ha ha, I was pretty sure Smashing Pumpkins would be among your contenders.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/05/12 12:19 AM

No one caught it, but I was thinking less desert island and more Fahrenheit 451. I guess Ray Bradbury is dead, again. Pretty cool (British) film, too!

Back in Jr. College the professor of my creative writing class was friends with Ray Bradbury. If it wasn't for his intense fear and dislike of cars, according to her, he would've come to the class.
Posted By: whippersnapper Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/05/12 04:00 PM
Okay, I know no one's asking, but here's my list if I got rescued and then ended up on a more classic desert island:

1) Beethoven Symphony #7 (I guess Andre Previn's version with the LSO) The second movement of this symphony has been my single favorite piece of music for 30 years now. It is sublime. It touches Universal Truth. It -- well, you get the idea.

2) Bach Brandenburg Concerto #3 (I don't care which version.) When Bach gets serious about the strings and throws out all the woodwinds, he discovers things that were essential even before there were ears to hear the sounds.

3) Bach Violin Concerto #1 in A minor. The Andante movement runs your soul through a wringer and leaves it clean and new. Probably a version by Neville Mariner and the Academy of St. Martin in the Field.

4) Barber Adagio. I don't know what it is about these slow string-only pieces, but the first time I heard this (which happened to be at a live performance) I came close to passing out. Seriously.

5) Handel's Messiah. The Phillips version on period instruments. The chorus in this one has to be heard to be believed. A tight and almost intimate performance with some idiosyncratic interpretations that truly surpass the more usual takes (starting the "Amen" pianissimo and then literally clobbering the finale comes to mind).

6) Brahms Requiem. Since I'm probably going to die on that island, I'd need this to ease my passage. Brahms' zenith of achievement.

7) Strauss Also Sprach Zarathustra. To celebrate the sunrise each day.

8) Resphigi The Pines of Rome

9) Some Tchaikovsky, but what?... I guess Symphony #6

10) Mendelssohn String Symphonies. I don't know what it is about these all string pieces...
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/05/12 05:13 PM
My, but I hope we end up on different islands.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/05/12 06:15 PM
Pay no attention to that cat man behind the curtain!

Whippersnapper, thanks for sharing. You and JohnK will bring an air of sophistication to Axiom Desert Temptation CageMatch Paradise Gilligan's Island.
Posted By: Murph Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/05/12 07:05 PM
Been whittling at this top ten list in my spare time. I just can't do it.

Damn It, I just want to be rescued and get back to my entire collection!!!!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/05/12 09:08 PM
I'm way too lazy to spend the time figuring this out. I'd probably just have iTunes pick for me.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/05/12 09:22 PM

Posted By: BobKay Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/06/12 02:55 AM
Originally Posted By: Murph
Been whittling at this top ten list in my spare time. I just can't do it.

Damn It, I just want to be rescued and get back to my entire collection!!!!

Krise sakes, Andrew, it's not "Sophie's effen Choice!" Just pick 10, dog dammit!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/06/12 03:24 AM
Andrew is trying to figure out where to place his favorite album without looking like a fanboy.
Posted By: Murph Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/06/12 11:53 AM
Great, just when I had it narrowed down. Now I have to bump one.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/06/12 12:32 PM
I actually had that album when I was a kid. Almost wore out the cassette.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/06/12 01:33 PM
I love that cd. I was in a record store one day and they were playing it and everyone was getting a big kick out of it.
Go Donkey Kong!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/06/12 03:25 PM
Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy

Back in Jr. College the professor of my creative writing class was friends with Ray Bradbury. If it wasn't for his intense fear and dislike of cars, according to her, he would've come to the class.

Just saw the headline on MSN: sad news frown
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/06/12 03:36 PM
Wow. I didn't even know he was still around.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/06/12 07:06 PM
He's not. Hence the story.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/06/12 07:16 PM
Peter, that made me LOL...
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/06/12 07:28 PM
Yeah, I got a laugh out of it too.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/06/12 07:59 PM
Ray Bradbury's death is not funny.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/06/12 08:33 PM
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Ray Bradbury's death is not funny.

How do you know?

Were you there when he died?

It could have been.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/06/12 08:38 PM
Yeah, what Catman said. Dogs dying = not usually funny. This dog, on the other hand:

Posted By: CatBrat Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/06/12 08:58 PM

Posted By: audiosavant Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/09/12 02:29 AM
Wow... I can't believe that Curved Air and Rise Robots Rise were mentioned on this thread!!! smile

I thought I was the only person that was into those bands here...

Since I've been on a "vinyl version vs. cd version" demonstration of XTC for my lady recently, I can state with utter confidence that I could easily live with:

1. Drums And Wires
2. Black Sea
3. English Settlement
4. Mummer
5. Big Express
6. Skylarking
7. 25'Oclock/Psonic Psunspot
8. Oranges And Lemons
9. Nonesuch
10. Apple Venus/ Wasp Star

XTC are in my top 5 of my all time favorites. They are easily as great as the Beatles.

They're re-releasing all of the XTC catalog (hopefully remastered well) this very month!!! grin

Until then, I have to say that the cds sound very good but vinyl XTC "wins" for sonic punch and lush gorgeousness. Of course, everything up to Oranges And Lemons was originally intended for vinyl release anyway.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/09/12 04:45 AM
Originally Posted By: audiosavant
Wow... I can't believe that Curved Air and Rise Robots Rise were mentioned on this thread!!!

In the very first list, too... (Curved Air anyways ;))

Sounds like I need to listen to more XTC. Other than Making Plans for Nigel I hadn't really paid attention to them.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/09/12 12:23 PM
I never even heard of any of those 10 before.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/09/12 12:59 PM
Originally Posted By: audiosavant
Wow... I can't believe that Curved Air and Rise Robots Rise were mentioned on this thread!!! smile

I thought I was the only person that was into those bands here...

Since I've been on a "vinyl version vs. cd version" demonstration of XTC for my lady recently, I can state with utter confidence that I could easily live with:

1. Drums And Wires
2. Black Sea
3. English Settlement
4. Mummer
5. Big Express
6. Skylarking
7. 25'Oclock/Psonic Psunspot
8. Oranges And Lemons
9. Nonesuch
10. Apple Venus/ Wasp Star

XTC are in my top 5 of my all time favorites. They are easily as great as the Beatles.

They're re-releasing all of the XTC catalog (hopefully remastered well) this very month!!! grin

Until then, I have to say that the cds sound very good but vinyl XTC "wins" for sonic punch and lush gorgeousness. Of course, everything up to Oranges And Lemons was originally intended for vinyl release anyway.

So, so underappreciated, since Andy Partridge's stage fright kept them from touring after a fashion. A unique and amazing "band."

Terry, O & L, Skylarking, and Nonesuch have already been remastered.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/11/12 04:41 AM
I can't believe we all forgot to put Negaive Orange on our lists!!
Posted By: fredk Re: Just Ten--Forever - 06/11/12 11:00 PM
Originally Posted By: jakewash
I can't believe we all forgot to put Negative Orange on our lists!!

I would have if they sent me the T-shirt. You know how it is though, a band gets famous and forgets its original fan base.
© Axiom Message Boards