Axiom Home Page
A friend of mine is moving and he asked me if I wanted some old audio gear. Duh. Yes. Yes I do. He always buys nice things so I was hoping I might get lucky. He gave me some really beautiful rosewood Bang and Olufson speakers. I am passing those on to a friend, a Dual turntable and a gorgeous gorgeous Luxman receiver, also in rosewood. The stuff is from the late 70's. The Luxman is S E X Y. I have not listened to it yet but it sure looked alluring when I turned it on. I mostly played with the turntable today. It has a cool strobe light built in. In the movie you will see that it is slightly out of adjustment. I had to take the platter off and free up the pitch control. Now it is right on the money. I'll take some pictures of the Luxman soon. I have to wait until the wife is not home. Right now I hid it in the basement.

Here is a little movie.

The speakers:
Cool story! That is always a nice feeling - cool new (old) stuff!
Nice!

But why are you hiding something if you got it for free?

And doesn't surprising her with a new car get you 4 years of freebies (I don't have my chart in front of me)?
I was wondering why you sent me an email and didn't invite me over to gawk at it. My email didn't include the part about hiding it in the basement. These guys don't have Jay's cell phone number. I do.

When can I come over to see it?
I didn't think you were reading the boards.....otherwise I would not have plagiarized my email.

Why to hide? I'm just trying to avoid that look of incredulity. We don't have a lot of room. She won't understand why I need three systems. However, I recently allowed her to buy an a/c unit for our bedroom.(Ok, she didn't tell me. She just bought it) So maybe she won't mind.

*invitation: You just want to see if the veneer is real rosewood so you can make fun of me if it isn't.

Backstory: I originally ordered my 80's in wood but then changed to vinyl. When they arrived I thought they had never changed the order and they were wood veneer. Then Bob came over.
He complained about my vinyl too.

Doesn't he know that vinyl is "in" again for esoteric audio? grin
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
He complained about my vinyl too.
Doesn't he know that vinyl is "in" again for esoteric audio? grin

Ya but he was complaining about the vinyl flooring you used for wallpaper to make it easier to clean Olive Garden Spaghetti Sauce stains off your walls.
I hardly get ANY on the walls and very little on the ceiling.

Mostly.
And when I first met JP, he had Alfredo sauce on his scalp.

It was in plain sight!
How could you see that up there. were you standing on a chair.
Not sayin you are short but he's kinda tall.
It's because JP puts his face in his plate whenever he eats. It kinda looks like a respectful bow until you notice the snorfling noises.
Well, really, it was a bald joke.
Originally Posted By: Lampshade
I didn't think you were reading the boards.....otherwise I would not have plagiarized my email.

Why to hide? I'm just trying to avoid that look of incredulity. We don't have a lot of room. She won't understand why I need three systems. However, I recently allowed her to buy an a/c unit for our bedroom.(Ok, she didn't tell me. She just bought it) So maybe she won't mind.

*invitation: You just want to see if the veneer is real rosewood so you can make fun of me if it isn't.

Backstory: I originally ordered my 80's in wood but then changed to vinyl. When they arrived I thought they had never changed the order and they were wood veneer. Then Bob came over.

Bingo!
Here is an iphone pic of the receiver. This baby is just stunning in person. I hope it sounds good. ( I couldn't find any tubes anywhere)

Posted By: Wid Re: My really good day. Receiver and turntable. - 07/24/13 01:44 AM

I love the Luxman.
Chris, do you have any pets? Because - thanks to this video - I now understand some of the fascination with The Vinyls.
OMG that was funny.
That's hilarious!! I'm going to have to make that video part of my son's birthday present (M22's, vintage Technics receiver, U-Turn turntable).
Love those vintage receivers.
So few make nice wood veneer, blue light units anymore.
Forget all this black metal nonsense.
BAH!

I absolutely agree Chess, the older gear is so much nicer to look at. I have to get on my hands and knees to see the writing on the black stuff. Is that your vintage stack in the picture.?
Oh man, I love the style of that top Marantz. Wish I still had mine.
Not my vintage no, but i do own a Kenwood KR5600 which powers my computer audio setup; Tannoy Revolution 3 speakers OR switch over to Speaker B and i use Angstrom Legatos.

http://www.angstromloudspeakers.com/oldsite/reviews/TIE_reviews_Legato_Forza.pdf

© Axiom Message Boards