Axiom Home Page
Posted By: medic8r Where to find info on CD recording quality? - 06/21/06 04:16 PM
With the new appreciation I have for all things audiophile, I figured it would be nice to know what sounds great over the Axioms (before buying!).

Many kind recommendations have been passed around the boards regarding individual discs. What I am wondering is, where are some good web sites/magazines/etc that will point me reliably towards good sounding content?

I have Googled a little and found a couple of web sites, but I figured some of you guys would know some cool places to find info on this. Anybody got some sites they hit regularly to stay in the know?
I have found this to be a pretty good site. AUDIOPHILE AUDITION
If you're interested in classical music, or jazz, then you might try the Musical Heritage Society. It's a club that asks you to register, but there is no minimum purchase requirement, plus you get a number of CDs for 99ยข when you sign up. The many CDs I've bought from them have always been of the highest sound quality. Just a thought.
JP:
I haven't had the time of late to write the long diatribe I've been meaning to do for several months regarding sound quality, but I've often thought a thread (much like the "What are you listening to tonight" thread) where people can casually drop a few sentences regarding good or poor technical quality of recordings would be helpful.

Without stepping on your toes, and in the interest of having an accurate thread name, I'm going to start one!
Doc, some good sites(roughly in order of my preference)are Classics Today , Classical CD Review , Classical Net , and Musicweb . Also, Gramophone magazine has an archive of their reviews. On the Amazon site there're some professional and customer reviews that are occasionally perceptive.
Here is a good site to look at:

Steve Hoffman Forums
© Axiom Message Boards