Axiom Home Page
These models are a bit shorter than I expected - the tweeters end up several inches below ear level when seated on a couch. Does this work out okay, or do any of you raise them up a few inches? Stock speaker stands eg. the Lovan Jazz that I've found are generally nowhere near deep enough front to back. I like the look of these:

http://www.oregondv.com/Granite_Speaker_Stands.htm

but USD 325 a pair is a bit steep -- seems like I could go to a stone place and pick up a couple of blocks and stick some adhesive feet on them.
Mine sound great as is... I think my couch must be lower than yours b/c it seems that the tweeters are about at ear height.

I'd say experiment with some books or something and if you really notice a difference buy some stands. Just be sure that you make sure the speaker does not tip over when you are experimenting!
I have my 80's on a 8" stage below my screen. The bottom tweeters are ear level for me when seated in the lazy boys in the front row. The top tweeter is a little higher but works great for people in the back row.
When I am sitting on my couch my ears are about midway between the 2 tweeters.
When I'm sitting on the couch, my ears are on the side of my head.
Where are they the rest of the time?
In relation to the couch? Much further away.
Has anyone here used the Auralex GRAMMA?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GRAMMA/

It's purpose is for sound isolation, but from the vendor site it's height is 2.75", so it may give you the added height you are looking for... Plus, they are only $49 each.

I use the Auralex MoPad for my center channel to isolate it from the media cabinet and provide the angle/height that I want. Seems to work well.
"The GRAMMA is used to float an amp or loudspeaker and yields nearly total acoustic isolation, resulting in a purity of tone that has to be heard to be believed!"

Hmm.. now where is that shadymaple website...

Ahah- found it:
http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/audioproducts/speakerstands_hub.php

Thought this was interesting- little mounts to place your bookshelf speakers on the ground.... even comes witha built in 'tilt' to aim the tweeters up to your ear.

They claim that: " This optimized tiltback positioning combined with the super-solid maple base and heavy vibration-draining brass feet, transforms the sound of any monitor speaker. "
Of course they also sell $150 power cords \:D
Meh, mouse pad and a couple of sections of two-beye-fer...

Save the rest for a case of beer or some jack daniels and you'll never know the difference.
Remember the WAF, plus I don't drink ..... wine

If it comes down to it I could just slap some adhesive rubber feet on $2 granite tiles from Home Despot, doubling them up even. It also occurred to me that something like that 6" Lovan Jazz would work fine with two units front to back.

A related question: many stands are hollow, including the FMSQS from Axiom. Axiom sells coated steel balls to fill stands, but they'd be hundreds USD to fill a pair of stands even part way. Anyone out there think they're enough better than sand to justify the expense? Does one generally only fill a stand part-way, or all the way to the top?
Ah, even better then. A bottle of very nice French champaign or several bottles of ver nice California champaign. I like champaign.

If the granite looks nice in your room, that would be a very good solution.

Given my last suggestion, you know what I'm gonna say about sand. Just put the stands on a sheet of plastic when filling them to keep the spillage mess to a minimum. When done, buy more champaign...
Or, better yet, put the sand in small plastic bags and then put them in the stands.
Did somebody say bags of sand?
Another movie reference? Hmmm.
As long as its not bags of wine.
I'm lost on this one. Analysis, Spock!
It's a movie about a guy of a certain age who's never done the deed (wink wink).
Re.Stands...
My vote is for whatever suits your visual tastes within your budget and (of course) soundly supports the speaker.

I think the sale of small metal balls is focused on those who might live in a city where sand is hard to come by and those who like to pretend they are ninjas.
 Originally Posted By: Murph
Re.Stands...
... and those who like to pretend they are ninjas.

So, then, everybody?
 Originally Posted By: SRoode
Has anyone here used the Auralex GRAMMA?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GRAMMA/

It's purpose is for sound isolation, but from the vendor site it's height is 2.75", so it may give you the added height you are looking for... Plus, they are only $49 each.

I use the Auralex MoPad for my center channel to isolate it from the media cabinet and provide the angle/height that I want. Seems to work well.

Thanks for this tip! I just picked up a pair for $39 from my local pro shop for my yet to be ordered M80s.
If you get that marble stand for $350!!!11!!one!!1, make sure you soak it in snake oil before putting your speakers on it...
To the original question: M80s on stands?

I've been wrestling with this question myself, since I found the fidelity way better when my ears were level with the tweeters. Since there's very little on this topic online, thought I'd post here, though there's not much activity on this thread by now.

Recently I got two 6x8x16 concrete blocks ($1.12 each at Home Depot), covered them with black duct tape (Gorilla tape, $10) to camoflage them from my wife, and oriented them so that they raise the speakers 6". Not only is the sound quality way better when sitting, but a bass resonance in the room seems to have been reduced as well. I'm very pleased with the result.

Gerry
Welcome Gerry,

Do you have any pics?
I made some nice outriggers out of solid maple for my M80's that put them almost 2.5 inches higher, and I can't say I noticed any difference in sound quality.

I calls em' as I hears em'.

paul
 Originally Posted By: anthony11
These models are a bit shorter than I expected - the tweeters end up several inches below ear level when seated on a couch. Does this work out okay, or do any of you raise them up a few inches? Stock speaker stands eg. the Lovan Jazz that I've found are generally nowhere near deep enough front to back. I like the look of these:

http://www.oregondv.com/Granite_Speaker_Stands.htm

but USD 325 a pair is a bit steep -- seems like I could go to a stone place and pick up a couple of blocks and stick some adhesive feet on them.

Anthony, that is a LOT of coin for a couple of slabs of granite. Go to a local box store and look for a couple of granite cutting boards or to a machine shop supplier for a couple of small granite surface tables (usually pink or black granite). That price is ridiculous.
These might work. Any comments?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/closeup/SpeakDudeHD--Main
Those look like they might work.

But so might 2 cider blocks for each for $1.50 each and wrapped in black velvet cloth from Walmart or those arts n' crafts store. That could get you all set for $10.
 Originally Posted By: modifiedskull
Those look like they might work. But so might 2 cider blocks for each for $1.50 each and wrapped in black velvet cloth from Walmart or those arts n' crafts store. That could get you all set for $10.

You're single, aren't you? ;\)
If he was single, would he bother wrapping them with velvet? Think, man! ;\)
Nope, he's got a girlfriend, hence the velvet cloth.

Edit: Dang, Ken beat me to it!
Good call fred and kcarl.

I've actually been imprisoned, I mean married, for 5 years to an art n' craft type of gal who make jewlery, clothes, pillows, bong carrying cases, knit's all kinds of stuff and so on. I've wandered around Michael's, AC Moore and that other one for hours on end.

And yes, that is where the velvet cloth idea came from. Plus it's very post-modern to combine cinder blocks and velvet into furniture, don't you think.

You're single, aren't you? ;\)

\:D \:D
Wow, that was good.
 Originally Posted By: modifiedskull
And yes, that is where the velvet cloth idea came from. Plus it's very post-modern to combine cinder blocks and velvet into furniture, don't you think.

Wow. Mine would *never* go for something like that. She's all for upgrading my Axiom system to HGC, but not spending the $ in the first place. If I suggested dropping the same $ on a trip to Florida for the three of us, of course, she'd be all for that. Only way I'm gettin' my Axiom love is if they introduce the Vasallo Hello Kitty edition :-/

Yeah I'm grumpy and sleep-deprived. Gassy baby last night.
Only way I'm gettin' my Axiom love is if they introduce the Vasallo Hello Kitty edition :-/

LOL!
You think I'm kidding?
No... that's what makes it so funny.... \:\)
Wow. Mine would *never* go for something like that. She's all for upgrading my Axiom system to HGC, but not spending the $ in the first place. If I suggested dropping the same $ on a trip to Florida for the three of us, of course, she'd be all for that. Only way I'm gettin' my Axiom love is if they introduce the Vasallo Hello Kitty edition :-/

Yeah I'm grumpy and sleep-deprived. Gassy baby last night.

I guess you need to invest in construction paper, scisors, glue and a hello kitty pattern and get working...

Only way I'm gettin' my Axiom love is if they introduce the Vasallo Hello Kitty edition :-/

You can upgrade your cabinets...even to hello kiddy if you like. the cherry seems better, but I know your pain.
 Originally Posted By: fredk
Meh, mouse pad and a couple of sections of two-beye-fer...

I use about 6 volumes of the 1972 edition of World Book Encyclopedia.
I had the 1972 edition in my bedroom growing up, I spent many hours reading through those as a ~10-12 yr old.
For me it was the 1967 Colliers Encyclopedia, with the annual updates (yearbooks)
Never used encyclopedias as speaker stands before...that just doesn't seem right. No, we used encyclopedias around the edge of the kitchen table with the corners left open to make a pool table. (using golf balls from the nearby golf course and a broken hockey stick for a cue).
© Axiom Message Boards