Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Nonpoint Axiom amp or Sub? - 06/18/08 03:27 PM
Axiom Folks,

I currently have the Axiom M80's and a 150 powered by an Emotiva IPS-1. What would improve my system's performance more: a more powerful amp or a sub? I currently don't have a sub and my room measures 18X20.

Any insight or experiences needed and appreciated.

Thanks!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom amp or Sub? - 06/18/08 03:28 PM
I'd say a sub. Especially if you like movies.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Axiom amp or Sub? - 06/18/08 03:36 PM
I second a sub, specifically a EP500!!
Posted By: jakewash Re: Axiom amp or Sub? - 06/18/08 03:50 PM
One more for the sub. The M80's have pretty good bass, but nothing beats a subwoofer to enhance the low end for music or movies and you already have a pretty good amp.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom amp or Sub? - 06/18/08 03:51 PM
Definitely a sub. A good sub. I recommend an EP350 or better.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Axiom amp or Sub? - 06/18/08 04:54 PM
+1 for the sub (ep350 or up)
Posted By: Capn_Pickard Re: Axiom amp or Sub? - 06/18/08 05:53 PM
Add me to the sub list.

So long as your M80s arent clipping or distorting, then extra power isn't going to increase your listening experience noticeably enough to warrant the (likely) extra cost. A sub, on the other hand, can actually alleviate some power issues your amp might be having energizing the lower register in the M80s. Not to mention that, in all likelihood, your sub will probably play flatter, lower than the M80s will and will really round out your sound - especially if 'spolsions are your thing.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom amp or Sub? - 06/18/08 06:31 PM
Heck, you've already got an outboard amp--I hadn't spotted that before. Definitely go with the sub. And since you're clearly looking at an A1400, go with a pair of EP600s. ;\)
Posted By: Nonpoint Re: Axiom amp or Sub? - 06/18/08 06:58 PM
Thanks for the quick feedback. I was leaning toward the sub, but the power of the A1400 had me thinking of increasing my contribution to the economy...albiet Canada's.... ;\)

Now I must decide how much sub is too much for my 800 sq foot condo.....well, really how much can my neighbors tolerate.

The 600 looks oh so sweet......
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom amp or Sub? - 06/18/08 06:59 PM
I've got the EP350 in a 8-900 sq foot apartment. It does the job quite nicely, although I probably don't play it nearly as loud as you do. But it's a wonderful sub.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Axiom amp or Sub? - 06/18/08 07:06 PM
I bet you play it louder then him considering he doesn't have one... YET!
Posted By: ihifi Re: Axiom amp or Sub? - 06/18/08 11:16 PM
 Originally Posted By: Nonpoint
Axiom Folks,

I currently have the Axiom M80's and a 150 powered by an Emotiva IPS-1. What would improve my system's performance more: a more powerful amp or a sub? I currently don't have a sub and my room measures 18X20.

Any insight or experiences needed and appreciated.

Thanks!

My room is the same size. I have the A1400-8 and two EP-500 subs along with the same three front speakers. I turn the subs off for music as the bass from the M80s with the amp is quite sufficient and articulate. Since you have a very good seven channel amp already, I think you will not gain much for music if you buy a sub (or two). However, I think the .1 channel with LFE effects are really best reproduced with a good sub compared to the M80s. With the low frequency work delegated to the sub, your amp will also work more efficiently in the remainder of the frequency spectrum. So, if you like movies, especially if you like action movies, I would definitely recommend that you consider a sub before another amp.

John
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Axiom amp or Sub? - 06/19/08 01:28 AM
Definetly a sub \:\)

For years I was happy with the bass of My M80's on their own but once I tried out an EP600 in my system just to see how it sounded, I decided I HAD to get a sub. I have really been missing out all these years! Because I rarely use my system for watching movies. Its mainly only music but still you cant appreciate what a difference it will make until you get one.

Posted By: JohnK Re: Axiom amp or Sub? - 06/19/08 02:23 AM
NP, welcome. It's pretty much no-contest for the sub, but I'll add-on. Since you're talking about speakers(M80s)which require slightly less power than most and already have a quite powerful amplifier, it's highly unlikely that you're exceeding the maximum power capability of your present amplifier. If not, no amplifier, regardless of maximum power capacity or cost, can improve your sound. Get that sub and enjoy.
Posted By: Nonpoint Re: Axiom amp or Sub? - 06/19/08 03:13 AM
Again, great info and comments from everyone. Wow ihifi, 2 EP 500s!! I guess one EP600 won't be too much.

From what I'm hearing my multichannel music dvd's will definitely benefit from a brand new sub. I've been happy with my two channel sound with my pre-pro set to bypass, but multi-channel music was always lacking punch (or at least in my head). Hence, I've taken on a quest to improve my sound (i.e. make that bass drum reappear on concert dvd's).
Posted By: jakewash Re: Axiom amp or Sub? - 06/19/08 03:37 AM
With subs you can never have too much as you dial it in to blend with the rest of the system, the left over power is there for dynamic peaks when needed. I went from the SVS PB12-NSD to the PB13-Ultra and I have the Ultra setup 3db lower than the PB12 was and I can feel the PB13-U more through out the room at the lower setting. With subs the more power, the better.
Posted By: DaveG Re: Axiom amp or Sub? - 06/19/08 10:30 AM
Another vote for a sub.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom amp or Sub? - 06/19/08 02:48 PM
I'm late to the party, but +1 for the subs that have been mentioned.

The receiver or preamp/amp combo has less to do with the sound you hear than the speakers do.

This was one of my first lessons learned on the Axiom boards.

It has been more valuable than every other lesson except for "Don't ride in a car with Peter B. after he's eaten chili."
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom amp or Sub? - 06/19/08 03:19 PM
-1 to all of the +1-ing
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Axiom amp or Sub? - 06/19/08 04:15 PM
Since when were we supposed to consider our neighbors when choosing equipment? My house backs on to a parking lot for a mall and which is 300-400 feet away and the security guard and odd workers quite enjoy my Paradigm Monitor 9's . Also I found moving to suburbia from the country the neighbors need something to soothe their souls \:\) . At my old house we had the lake!
© Axiom Message Boards