Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Roidefromage speaker wire connections? - 06/24/08 01:43 PM
Hello Fellow Axiomites,

So, I am curious about people's opinions on speaker terminal connections/connectors. I use 4 twelve gauge (originally for bi wired) speaker wire to connect my Emotiva LPA-1 amp to my new Axiom epic 80 system speakers. I bought gold plated spades from Blue jeans cable, but they don't go around or fit the pegs on the back of the Axiom speakers. Should I bother with ordering plugs or should I just leave the naked wires squeezed into the posts? Any thoughts?

Thanks
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: speaker wire connections? - 06/24/08 02:09 PM
a lot depends on how often you move things around. I tend to use plugs because I used to move for alternating school/workterms every 4 months, and then changing appartment every other year, so I sort of gotten the habit of always thinking of connections as "temporary" and thus better with plugs.

If you don't plan on constantly plugging and unplugging (happens a lot if you do A/B comparisons, for example), then don't bother with plugs.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: speaker wire connections? - 06/24/08 02:11 PM
It's personal preference more than anything. Your supposed to get the best connection using bare wire, but I think banana, spades, or bare are all good.

I unhook my speaker wire frequently--I switch between my HT set-up and a tube amp for two channel listening. I use banana and spade because they are easy to work with. I don't think I'd want to use bare wire if I was constantly switching the wire.
Posted By: Capn_Pickard Re: speaker wire connections? - 06/24/08 02:28 PM
I don't switch, pretty much ever. But I still liked the convenience of the banana plugs on the back of my amp and on the speakers. It was a bit of an anal retentive thing for me, but I liked the look of the banana plugs at all of the termination points. I know this is ridiculous since they are all hidden by the speakers and the receiver, but wtf?

Decent banana plugs can be had for real cheap on eBay, btw.

I don't notice a lick of difference using banana plugs, as opposed to bare wire, either. Don't think that any of these methods will improve or degrade your sound (assuming the electrical contact connection is good, of course).
Posted By: SirQuack Re: speaker wire connections? - 06/24/08 02:45 PM
straight wire connections for this guy, less links in the chain. sounds much better as well. \:\)
Posted By: terzaghi Re: speaker wire connections? - 06/24/08 03:01 PM
banana plugs on the receiver, barw wire on the speakers.
Posted By: RickF Re: speaker wire connections? - 06/24/08 03:08 PM
I'm thinking Alan either had an article or stated here on the boards at some point stating that as long as the connections are good'n tight you'll have no degradation in SQ using any type of connection plug for any speaker wire connection. Common sense tells me I certainly agree.

I believe I have banana plugs on the power side of things and bare wire on the speaker end.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: speaker wire connections? - 06/24/08 04:26 PM
I have bananas on all ends, because I move the speakers every time we get an Xmas tree. But it doesn't really matter. I'm surprised your spades didn't fit; the Axioms' binding posts are set up for both 1/4 and 3/8.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: speaker wire connections? - 06/24/08 04:48 PM
Wow, banana plus on all ends just for the christmas tree?

I bet it will take 10 years for you to realize the time savings there once you consider how long it took to connect the banana plugs in the first place.

But hey, at least it looks cool!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: speaker wire connections? - 06/24/08 05:09 PM
Making 4 connections per speaker with bananas vs. bare wire? It's worth it. Besides, the banana plugs cost me about a buck from monoprice.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: speaker wire connections? - 06/24/08 05:19 PM
bought my bananas from bluejeans.. not quite that cheap but not too bad.

monoprice is ridiculously cheap... I love it!
Posted By: Murph Re: speaker wire connections? - 06/24/08 05:27 PM
Inserting your banana should wait until your sure you are ready for a lasting and loving relationship with your speaker.
Posted By: onn Re: speaker wire connections? - 06/24/08 06:21 PM
What happens if your speakers " just wants to be friends "
Posted By: medic8r Re: speaker wire connections? - 06/24/08 06:36 PM
Then, if you're the spiteful kind, you start spreading rumors about your speakers in order to trash your speakers' reputation!
Posted By: JohnK Re: speaker wire connections? - 06/25/08 01:48 AM
King, I always use just the plain wire, which is fine unless you're going to be frequently connecting/disconnecting. You mentioned that the wires were "squeezed" in. Care has to taken that some strands aren't left loose to cause a possible short. To make the connection easier you can trim some strands off the stripped end to reduce the size of the wire ends, e.g., from 12ga to 18 ga. This isn't analogous to a multi-lane highway suddenly turning into an 8-foot wide dirt road; the overall resistance of the entire length of wire is the relevant factor and isn't changed appreciably by having the stripped end smaller.
© Axiom Message Boards