Axiom Home Page
I just sold my VP150 and will be ordering a VP180 in the morning. The original plan was to use this with some older M60ti'S. Then on Friday I found a pair of one year old M80v2's somebody 45 minutes away was selling. His price is $500 less than a brand new pair of v3 M80's.

Would I hear a $500 better differene between the v2 and v3 speaker?

I also want to make sure my Denon 4810 would be able to handle all three of these speakers.
I had posted this in the middle of the VP180 thread as well, but I am looking for some more opinions before I decide since the used speakers will be sold to somebody else tomorrow if I don't take them..

Thanks in advance...
I don't know that any one has done a direct a/b comparison of the two versions.
I haven't heard the v3 version of the M80's but I don't think you would hear $500 difference. The M80's v2's are great speakers and I'm sure you would be more than happy with them, in addition to having the extra dollars to make some future purchase.
Mike (HomeDad) is right, I have 5 year old v2 M80s and a v3 VP180 and hear no difference ... certainly not a $500 difference, not even close.
Though keep in mind the drivers will look different, if that matters to you.
I am perfectly okay with the drivers looking different since my grilles are always on when I am using them.

Thanks for the input guys.

Will I be okay just using my Denon 4810 to drive the M80's and VP-180?
No. You need a $2K+ prepro, several kilowatts of power and, most importantly, levitating speaker wire (ask the monk). wink
Jeff, although what Fred suggests is certainly the ultimate if you want to be considered a true audiophile, in nearly all home applications the 4810 should be more than sufficient with those speakers.
If you don't care about neither the color of the drivers neither the magnetic grills, I would save my money and go with the V2s. V2s are great speakers and if they are only 1 year old, I bet a lot of the components are V3s already. You could always email Axiom with the serial numbers and they'll tell you. I doubt you could ear $500 difference although for some people a minor difference is already worth the money.
I agree with what Bruno says.
But do you agree with his green unitard swimsuit?
HTGEEK, the vp180 works VERY well with the m60 ti's. everything fits seamlessly.
© Axiom Message Boards