Axiom Home Page
Posted By: axiom Center Channel vs Centre Channel? - 11/22/10 10:57 AM
Axiom poster Ukiah recently emailed us to find out why we spell the way we spell. In a nutshell, Ukiah, your interactions with us will show you that the Axiom team spells differently! Ian, Brent, JC, Noreen and Debbie always spell in ‘Canadian’, but Alan and Amie, who wrote a lot of the site’s copy, spell things the US way. (Well, Amie spells like this: h0w r u? But that’s another story!)

Have any of you noticed the spelling on the site? Are you home theater fans, home theatre fans, or a third breed entirely, the home cinema fan? Vote now!
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Center Channel vs Centre Channel? - 11/22/10 12:53 PM
center seems more appropriate than centre.
Posted By: casey01 Re: Center Channel vs Centre Channel? - 11/22/10 02:23 PM
Without trying to get too carried away here about this issue,from what I understand here about history, spelling of words like the one in question "centre" has evolved out of the French spelling of the same word and since Canada is suppose to be an "official" bilingual nation and since Axiom is a Canadian company, "centre" is the appropriate spelling.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Center Channel vs Centre Channel? - 11/22/10 02:31 PM
I live in the US, but on a Centre Street, I vote for centre also.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Center Channel vs Centre Channel? - 11/22/10 05:44 PM
For the reasons Casey mentioned, I like "centre".

But I also think that "Theatre" is proper, and that "colour" and "behaviour" benefit greatly from extra vowels.
Posted By: grunt Re: Center Channel vs Centre Channel? - 11/22/10 05:52 PM
Despite being American I tend to spell things the English way like “colour, labour” because my English grandmother taught me to read and write but for some reason along the way I generally got out of the habit of using centre and theatre though I don’t even notice the difference when they are spelled like that. Probably my dyslexia.
Posted By: casey01 Re: Center Channel vs Centre Channel? - 11/22/10 06:20 PM
Originally Posted By: grunt
Despite being American I tend to spell things the English way like “colour, labour” because my English grandmother taught me to read and write but for some reason along the way I generally got out of the habit of using centre and theatre though I don’t even notice the difference when they are spelled like that. Probably my dyslexia.

Actually, it has nothing to do with dyslexia. The change gradually happened because when you are using the computer and US spelling is generally automatically chosen, every time you type colour(its happening right now) instead of color or labour instead of labor the English spelling gets underlined in red!
Posted By: grunt Re: Center Channel vs Centre Channel? - 11/22/10 06:49 PM
The change happened when “spellcheck” was a little paperback spelling dictionary in my pocket long before I ever sat at my first computer terminal in 1976. wink

But your point is well taken.

I don’t actually have dyslexia but a condition that mimics it. I often reverse er/re, ei/ie, uo/ou, of/fo, or/ro. Always has something to do with vowels almost never two consonants. Makes German words easy to spell wink
Posted By: jakewash Re: Center Channel vs Centre Channel? - 11/22/10 06:58 PM
James should have added one more to the choices - Noticed the spelling but don't care. wink
Posted By: CV Re: Center Channel vs Centre Channel? - 11/22/10 07:00 PM
I tend to spell things the American way, though I do like the English spellings. Right now I spell the name of one of my characters "GrayBaby," but if I ever get around to a final draft, it will probably end up "GreyBaby."
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Center Channel vs Centre Channel? - 11/22/10 08:06 PM
I generally spell things the Americuhn way, but considering Axiom is Canadian, I'd say it should be English with the French Twist.

Damn, French Twist sounds sexual.
Posted By: tehghost132 Re: Center Channel vs Centre Channel? - 11/22/10 08:47 PM
You know, I always spell it Center and Theatre. Centre, to me, makes me sound it out like sentry.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Center Channel vs Centre Channel? - 11/22/10 09:00 PM
I think we should use bbigwyres spelling from here on in...

...ids moR kullerful langwich.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Center Channel vs Centre Channel? - 11/22/10 09:04 PM
REFLECT!

I miss the big guy. He's overdue for an appearance.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Center Channel vs Centre Channel? - 11/22/10 09:11 PM
I hear he's been seen at the Mandarin recently.
Posted By: wbedford Re: Center Channel vs Centre Channel? - 11/22/10 10:17 PM
My wife (British) and I (Canadian) argue about spelling all the time. In the end, I say whichever variant is used the most wins.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Center Channel vs Centre Channel? - 11/22/10 10:30 PM
Wrong. She wins.

You're welcome.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Center Channel vs Centre Channel? - 11/22/10 10:59 PM
It really doesn't bother me either way, I figured the reason was because of the French/Engilish differences.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Center Channel vs Centre Channel? - 11/23/10 12:30 AM
good one tom wink
Posted By: a401classic Re: Center Channel vs Centre Channel? - 11/23/10 10:00 PM
I think there should have been more choices. Personally, I notice when words are not spelled the way I'm used to, but it doesn't bother me that much. However, with respect to two of the words used in the OP, I have the following comment;

To me, center is the middle of something, so it is appropriate for a (loud)speaker. Centre is an auditorium-like place where one goes to see the arts, performing or otherwise. A theater is where one goes to watch a movie. And a theatre is where one goes to enjoy the symphony, or a play, or opera. So its really four words in my book.
Posted By: SBrown Re: Center Channel vs Centre Channel? - 11/24/10 03:22 AM
^Same as Scott for me.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Center Channel vs Centre Channel? - 11/24/10 04:14 PM
I think "centric channel" is best.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Center Channel vs Centre Channel? - 11/24/10 04:15 PM
Sounds too much like "gastric channel" as in the expression "don't be a smart gastric channel".
Posted By: fredk Re: Center Channel vs Centre Channel? - 11/26/10 02:55 AM
There are correct ways to spell things?
Posted By: CV Re: Center Channel vs Centre Channel? - 11/26/10 03:02 AM
These dictionaries are snake oil!
Posted By: alan Re: Center Channel vs Centre Channel? - 11/26/10 05:02 PM
How about "eccentric channel"?

Defined as a channel that shifts randomly to any one of the seven available channels . .

Cheers,
Alan
Posted By: Adrian Re: Center Channel vs Centre Channel? - 11/26/10 05:10 PM
Eccentric Channel...sounds like a new perfume made for cross dressers.
Posted By: ihifi Re: Center Channel vs Centre Channel? - 11/26/10 05:31 PM
how about central channel speaker ?
Posted By: grunt Re: Center Channel vs Centre Channel? - 11/26/10 05:38 PM
With the proliferation of speaker channels perhaps Axiom could lead the way in just calling them by their suggested offset. The center would be the 0 degree speaker, mains 30 degree, wide 45s surrounds, 90s etc . . . .
Posted By: snazzed Re: Center Channel vs Centre Channel? - 11/26/10 08:48 PM
The Middle Box
Posted By: fredk Re: Center Channel vs Centre Channel? - 11/27/10 05:08 PM
Originally Posted By: alan
How about "eccentric channel"?

Defined as a channel that shifts randomly to any one of the seven available channels . .

Cheers,
Alan

Ooooooo!! Axiom is working on a pre-pro. grin
Posted By: Ukiah Re: Center Channel vs Centre Channel? - 12/11/10 08:37 PM
Thanks for your e-mail Alan, I found it insightful, it also opened a new perspective.

Regards
Ukiah
© Axiom Message Boards