Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Woodrow Quarters under the front legs...WOW - 06/05/12 11:26 PM
When I set-up my M60s, I put a level on them and they looked real close. But looking at them now for several weeks, they just seemed to be leaning forward a little. Just for giggles I tried putting quarters under the front legs to angle them up, very slightly. I am astounded at the improvement of the highs. I felt my jaw drop, literally, several times while listening to my "new" speakers. What I thought were good speakers I now believe to be fantastic speakers! (Hmmm, you don't think I'm imagining it after investing all that money, do you? ;o) Seriously, try it. You might like it.
Posted By: RickF Re: Quarters under the front legs...WOW - 06/06/12 12:16 AM
I keep several quarters handy in my CD cabinet just for leveling our M80s on the carpet, for whatever reason (weight & balance, I presume) our M80s always lean out from center so I use quarters under the outboard legs to level the speakers vertically. I never thought about raising the front of the speakers past level for sound.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Quarters under the front legs...WOW - 06/06/12 02:27 AM
hmmmm
Posted By: Gary Vose Sr Re: Quarters under the front legs...WOW - 06/06/12 09:35 PM
If you have any washers hanging around use them and pocket the $$$. If you don't have any, keep using the quarters, as I suspect purchasing them would cost more than the value of the coin.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Quarters under the front legs...WOW - 06/06/12 10:24 PM
You know what would be great? Some outriggers with adjustable legs. Maybe Mark could build some.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Quarters under the front legs...WOW - 06/06/12 10:48 PM
Could, Would or Can?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Quarters under the front legs...WOW - 06/06/12 11:32 PM
You know I'm just messing with you.
Posted By: fredk Re: Quarters under the front legs...WOW - 06/07/12 12:05 AM
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Could, Would or Can?

Post a survey and we'll get back to you.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Quarters under the front legs...WOW - 06/07/12 12:23 AM
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
You know I'm just messing with you.

Yes, I do, Tom. No worries. smile
Posted By: Murph Re: Quarters under the front legs...WOW - 06/07/12 11:50 AM
Enough with the Tom-Foolery.

But seriously. I recently solved a similar problem in putting together the tripod, mast brace on the new Hobie Cat. The front bar has a directional brace at the top that refused to thread in, in any other way other than to end up with the brace at 180 degrees the wrong way. Instructions said to tighten or loosen it to get the correct angle but it would not tighten that much and loosening left a tiny gap of a ml or more. They say the gap is OK as all the pressure on the bolt is mostly up & down but I'm kind of crazy in that I like load bearing parts to fit flush.

I could not find a stainless steel washer just the right size to get it flush so I tweaked a nylon washer to fit on a belt sander. Cost of nylon washer... free, because the clerk was not interested in ringing in a 6 cent item.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Quarters under the front legs...WOW - 06/07/12 02:07 PM
I've got some extra quarters, than I can let go for $2 each, just in case you're interested.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Quarters under the front legs...WOW - 06/07/12 04:52 PM
Murph, you don't seem to ever embrace that The Perfect is the Enemy of The Good.

Which makes you pure evil, I guess.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Quarters under the front legs...WOW - 06/07/12 06:22 PM
Every forum needs one, Tom. But the question is - which of us will Murph have to kick out of the throne to assume the title of King of Evil?!?!
Posted By: Murph Re: Quarters under the front legs...WOW - 06/08/12 04:12 PM
I don't want to sit in the throne. I just want to control the throne. Muhuhuhahahahahahahah.
Posted By: SRoode Re: Quarters under the front legs...WOW - 06/08/12 07:14 PM
Pre-65's work better... Higher silver content...
Posted By: Gary Vose Sr Re: Quarters under the front legs...WOW - 06/08/12 08:25 PM
Half Dollars, have a little larger diameter, and is a little thicker as well.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Quarters under the front legs...WOW - 07/05/12 01:25 PM
I was just thinking... if quarters work so well, maybe some kind of crystal...
Posted By: Murph Re: Quarters under the front legs...WOW - 07/05/12 02:25 PM
Unobtanium!!! Charge thousands!
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Quarters under the front legs...WOW - 07/05/12 03:06 PM
Obtanium!!! Charge hundreds!
Posted By: Clovis Re: Quarters under the front legs...WOW - 07/05/12 05:48 PM
Some speaker companies provide an extra spiking kit (like axiom) which contains spiked screws which can be adjusted to allow the speaker to lean back, so the front spike screws are higher than the back. They claim it improves sound. I think it does, but I know of one good sounding setup (an expensive setup with bass traps and stereo separates) which does not utilise spiking kits or even the toe-in.

It does look slightly cool though.
Posted By: J. B. Re: Quarters under the front legs...WOW - 07/05/12 06:20 PM
in my view, leaning a speaker front to back can be good when one wants to have the tweeter aimed exactly at the ear if one is sitting higher or lower than the tweeter height - compared to ear height.
Posted By: INANE Re: Quarters under the front legs...WOW - 07/07/12 09:29 PM
I've been struggling to position my M80's to my liking. I need to give this a shot.
Posted By: Gary Vose Sr Re: Quarters under the front legs...WOW - 07/07/12 10:15 PM
Originally Posted By: INANE
I've been struggling to position my M80's to my liking. I need to give this a shot.

Does anyone have any spare change? smirk
Posted By: BuddTX Re: Quarters under the front legs...WOW - 09/19/12 07:01 PM
Originally Posted By: SRoode

Beat me to it, I was going to say this too! 1964 and earlier quarters were mostly silver, after 1964, they used "coppernickel" or something like that!

Pretty soon there will be a "heads up" vs "heads down" discussion as to what is better, then of course there will be "Canadian vs US" quarters . . . <grin!>
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Quarters under the front legs...WOW - 09/19/12 07:05 PM
We all know that Canadian sound is more neutral.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Quarters under the front legs...WOW - 09/20/12 03:41 AM
Originally Posted By: BuddTX
Originally Posted By: SRoode

Beat me to it, I was going to say this too! 1964 and earlier quarters were mostly silver, after 1964, they used "coppernickel" or something like that!

Pretty soon there will be a "heads up" vs "heads down" discussion as to what is better, then of course there will be "Canadian vs US" quarters . . . <grin!>

Speaking of pre-1964 silver coins, I found a bunch of coins at my grandma's house when I was helping move her from California to Oklahoma. These are the ones with dates up to 1900 (movie link). There are quite a few more.

The back story on the collection is that my grandma worked for Bank of America as a cash handler in the vault in the 1960s. Her boss let her trade out any currency she wanted to collect with something of equal face value. Pretty sweet deal! smile

Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Quarters under the front legs...WOW - 09/20/12 11:50 AM
Nice!
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Quarters under the front legs...WOW - 09/20/12 04:08 PM
I put new fiber plugs underneath our coffee table.
Now it doesn't tip to one corner as much.
© Axiom Message Boards