Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Captain4105 AVR choices for a Technicphobe - 01/09/13 07:02 AM
Hello All: I've visited this forum for a few years now. It has been informative and enlightening and I enjoy reading the postings and learning. But many respondents on this forum have technical and specific demands for equipment well beyond my own.

I've been debating with myself for many months which AVR to buy. I've gone from considering Arcams, B&K's, NADs, Rotels, Cambridge's to Denons, Pioneers and now I am looking at the Marantz 5007. I am not technical and have little interest in the intricacies, bells and whistles associated with setting up and listening to anything near a cinema-house quality theatre in my home. I do not listen to music at reference levels, the M80's sound just fine at the volume I set and I can compensate for the lack of bass at lower listening levels by adjusting my old but decent subwoofer. I would just like to set up a decent 5.1 system. I have enough other speakers for now that will suffice to create the 5.1 system. My first investment in this new venture commenced about two years ago when I bought a pair of M80v3's. I am very happy with them. My next task is to buy a surround receiver, but after reading so much on the subject here and on other forums I've been "gun shy" with all the technical issues that could arise. It is not like the old days which were more "plug 'n play" like my present 1980's vintage Denon stereo receiver which I am using with fine results @ 55 watts per channel.

OK, long story to set the context. I am coming to you my friends, to suggest a surround AVR with about 80-100 watts per channel (driven simultaneously) that is simple in set-up (or at least user friendly). Most of my use for the system will be for music...about 90%. I do wish to have the ability to watch movies and have the benefit of their effects. I suppose I could buy an older receiver that would probably be simpler to set up and sound very well, but I do wish to have some up-to-date decoding software (my present DVD has very little to offer in this respect). I have no gadgets or games of any kind I wish to plug into the receiver. I do expect that the receiver will have options I won't use, that isn't a problem, I expect that. I am willing to pay up to $800. Also I only have a 23" Samsung HD TV for now. I will be buying a new TV as well, probably Plasma...about 55"-60". It may or may not be 3D, price and quality will determine the kind of purchase I will make. I don't think 3D pass-through is necessary unless it just comes with the receiver suggested.

Which surround receiver do you suggest for simplicity of set-up with the power I desire? I am completely open to any suggestions and certainly can change my mind to the parameters I've set for my projected system based on any feedback given. Be kind...I'm a simple man looking for the right fit for me. Thanks to you all.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: AVR choices for a Technicphobe - 01/09/13 08:33 AM
That's a tough one. I've used both Pioneer and Denon mid to upper range in price units, and they both are complicated to understand at times. I see your delima. I don't know of any Home Theater in a Box solutions where you supply your own speakers. If there isn't such a thing, perhaps there should be. So hopefully, someone else would know more on this subject than I do.

I had purchased an ultra cheap Sony 100 watt per channel receiver as my first one for $150 online from Newegg.com about 4 years ago to drive my M22's I had then. This was a mistake because the components in this thing were so cheap that effectually, it probably was only about 40 watts and could barely drive the smaller speakers, but it was the least complicated of few I've used.

One other option is perhaps to get someone to set it up for you. Using a Harmony remote. With these remotes, you can set up activities, such as watch TV, play DVD (and blu-ray), Listen to radio. Then when things get out of whack, cycling everything down and back up will usually take care of it. At the extreme, manually turn everything off, unplug if necessary. Remove battery, then reinsert into remote, and you should be good to go again.

Hope this helps, and good luck to you.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: AVR choices for a Technicphobe - 01/09/13 10:39 AM
Captain, I understand your frustrations. Between poorly-written manuals, codec changes and a zillion settings, most AVRs have become something that you need to sit down and study. I've been thinking for a long time that if someone adds some simple products to their line until the day comes when these units are intelligent to REALLY auto-setup, they would sell well.

It's a bit above your price range, but I think I have a good solution for you: Outlaw Audio just came out with a simpler processor that can be combined with an outboard amp for a combo price of $1100.

I haven't used, nor heard this combo, but the processor is getting some good press (it just came out, though, so you won't find a ton of reviews yet).
Posted By: CatBrat Re: AVR choices for a Technicphobe - 01/09/13 11:01 AM
Looks like basically a receiver with tone controls instead of advanced sound processor.
Posted By: Murph Re: AVR choices for a Technicphobe - 01/09/13 01:01 PM
Another solution is

Step 1. Find the local techno-geek in your office/workplace/circle of friends/family. They don't tend to hide like they used to so they should be easy to spot.

Step 2. Purchase a receiver that serves your needs and a really good universal remote like a Harmony or a URC. Not a generic universal remote like you might find at Wallmart but spend a little extra for one of the a fore mentioned. Trust me, it's worth it.

Step 3. Apply Tom Sawyer logic to trick them into thinking that setting up your receiver and programming your remote would be fun. Bribe with beer/wine/chocolate/comic books or whatever seems most likely to work, if necessary. It's more than likely they will do it for free because they would think it's fun (until they are halfway through the job, then it's too late.)

The result. You will have a great system that will be so simple that a press of one single button will turn on and auto configure every device and make them ready to go for any task.

You would be surprised how easy it is to accomplish step number 3. In fact, I've fallen for this a few times myself. Indeed a lab mouse learns quicker than I do about such a traps.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: AVR choices for a Technicphobe - 01/09/13 01:37 PM
Hmmm use a harmony remote.. It seems like I've heard that one before.
Posted By: medic8r Re: AVR choices for a Technicphobe - 01/09/13 03:06 PM
Comic books?! Where?!! Can I see them? Cool, a new receiver! What's that? You can't figure it out? Well, I could help you with that! I love audio equipment almost as much as computer networking and Dr. Who an -- SQUIRREL!!!
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: AVR choices for a Technicphobe - 01/09/13 03:28 PM
Emotiva has recently added a new Processor the UMC 200 (on sale ATM ) which was described by a reviewer as very easy and logical to set up. If you don't need network connectivity or airplay it sounds like a good option. Rotel also advertises that their recievers have everything you need and nothing you don't, may be worth looking at.From the reviews I have read on the rotel they are very user friendly though I am not too sure about the pricing.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: AVR choices for a Technicphobe - 01/09/13 03:44 PM
Yes, as one of those people who thinks those things are cool/fun, I enjoy working for free.
Posted By: Murph Re: AVR choices for a Technicphobe - 01/09/13 05:21 PM
Originally Posted By: medic8r
Comic books?! Where?!! Can I see them? Cool, a new receiver! What's that? You can't figure it out? Well, I could help you with that! I love audio equipment almost as much as computer networking and Dr. Who an -- SQUIRREL!!!

I laughed twice when I read your edit reason.
Posted By: Murph Re: AVR choices for a Technicphobe - 01/09/13 05:24 PM
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
Hmmm use a harmony remote.. It seems like I've heard that one before.

Good ideas are worth repeating.

However, since you have taunted it out of me, I'll add my personal opinion that the URCs are better as they can take a fall off the coffee table with much more confidence.
Posted By: Gary Vose Sr Re: AVR choices for a Technicphobe - 01/10/13 01:47 AM
A couple of things that are considered must haves, have not yet been talked about. Buying as much power as your budget will allow for, and amps that can drive those M80 down to 4 ohms. Check out the pioneer Sc-61 here. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/SC-61

Check out the pricing and some customer reviews here:

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SC-61-Chan...eer+elite+sc-61

Check out the remote here:

http://www.amazon.com/URC-Universal-Cont...eywords=urc+wr7

This is the remote I'll be trying, it comes highly rated, and is inexpensive as well. Good luck and good shopping.
Posted By: cb919 Re: AVR choices for a Technicphobe - 01/10/13 02:29 AM
Speaking of remotes, there was an overview I recently read which was quite high level comparing pros and cons of a universal remote, apps for tablets and high end home automation systems. Here's the link:
http://hometheaterreview.com/goodbye-universal-remote-hello-control-app/
Posted By: CatBrat Re: AVR choices for a Technicphobe - 01/10/13 03:15 AM
Unless i'm just missing seeing it with the universal remote, i don't see that it has activity buttons, like "watch tv", "play DVD", "listen radio", "play CD". All i see is that it replaces multiple remotes, which won't simplify the process nearly as much because you still have to do every function. You need a remote like the Harmony One which is worth paying a premium price for that added simplicity.

I use the harmony 1100, but don't recommend that one, unless your equipment is in another room, like mine, or behind a closed door, and you like to buy a new one about once a year. I have no experience with the harmony one, but many people here have liked it.

When I want to watch a movie, I hit the touch screen button that says "DVD/blu-ray". This powers on the TV and selects the proper input mode. It powers on the AVR and puts it in the play DVD mode. It powers on the blu-ray player. I open the tray and put the movie in and close the tray. Wait for the menu on the blu-ray and play. When done, I remove the disc, close the tray, then push power off button on the remote. It powers off all 3 devices. If instead of turning it off I want to watch Tv now, it powers off the blu-ray player, but leaves the other components on, and sets them to the settings that's needed to watch TV. I don't have to remember anything.

Easy peasy Japanesy.
Posted By: Gary Vose Sr Re: AVR choices for a Technicphobe - 01/10/13 03:38 AM
CatBrat read some of the customer reviews. They state you can easily program for one button push, to be able to config. one's components to turn on. Weather it be TV/Sat.box/Receiver/Blu-ray/PS3. It's also been stated you can program in for the speaker vol. control through the receiver as well.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: AVR choices for a Technicphobe - 01/10/13 03:45 AM
I just checked the reviews and still don't see it. It mentioned being able to run a macro to switch inputs on the AVR when pressing a Dvd button, but this a far cry from pressing the DVD button and having it set up the TV, AVR, disc player, and anything else that's needed.

Edit: ok I'm seeing it now, just had to read a bunch more reviews.

I may have to try one of these now that I know that.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: AVR choices for a Technicphobe - 01/10/13 03:58 AM
Here's an infra red repeater system that I've been wanting for some time. With this I would no longer need a radio frequency remote like the Harmony 1100, or 900, and use any other programmable remote instead, plus the originals, even though the components are in a different room,

I like this one because of the extra small sized pickup that can be just barely poking out of a hole in the wall under the Tv.
Posted By: JohnK Re: AVR choices for a Technicphobe - 01/10/13 05:30 AM
Lee, I've been pondering your quest for simplicity, but haven't come up with anything remarkable. As you've found from your research, all modern HT receivers(certainly including the Marantz 5007)are relatively complex and making full use of their capabilities isn't "plug 'n play" by any means. Substituting the complexities of programming a universal remote avoids use of multiple remotes but isn't a solution to the basic complexity issue.

I'm tempted to reach back to my football coaching days and give you a pep talk along the lines of the confidence we have in you to be able to defeat the AVR enemy(Fight!). Really though, if you set up in steps, for example just use the M80s and sub first in basic stereo mode, it should be manageable. These receivers have "default" settings in place which give reasonably good results without making individual adjustments. For example, the Onkyo 709 default setting is sub on and an 80Hz crossover. Connecting the M80s and sub, turning the receiver on and selecting the basic stereo mode(it can be found)gives good basic stereo results which can be expanded upon as you get more familiar with the unit.

So, I don't make suggestions significantly different than those I've made recently. For an $800 budget my pick is the factory refurbished Onkyo 818 for about $780 from Accessories4less. This is probably more than you need though, and more cost-effective would be the 709 from them for about $450. Or even, for a less fully-featured unit, but still with all the power capacity needed(and power shouldn't be a major concern with any of these that you're considering), look at the 360 for about $250.
Posted By: Captain4105 Re: AVR choices for a Technicphobe - 01/10/13 05:58 AM
Thank you all. I'm appreciative of your concern and understanding. I haven't yet looked at the links you all have provided. I will need to take some time to go through them and make a determination. I pretty much expected the answers you all gave, but I am very grateful for your suggestions.

I know there is no simple answer. I believe I can manage to set up a system even with the complexity of today's surround AVR's. I'm trying to avoid a situation that requires me to read a text as thick as some of those I read while in college and written in a language that addresses technical issues which are somewhat foreign to me. After reading so many posts on the poor documentation of Denon manuals and the horrible English used I hesitated, and this hesitation has lasted about three years. Now its time to jump in and get it done. In my small circle I know of no one but me who has had the interest to research these things. They have either bought sound bars and had "Best Buy" come in a set it up, or they had their homes pre-wired and have located their speakers only for convenience. None of my friends can be termed audio enthusiasts. So it will be up to me. I am sure with your help (when questions arise) and perhaps looking at an owner thread (once I purchase) will be all the support I need. I think the years of reading these kinds of forums have given me an understanding of what I can expect. As John says, I want to enjoy the music and not (necessarily) the equipment.
Posted By: jakewash Re: AVR choices for a Technicphobe - 01/12/13 03:32 AM
Buy me a round trip plane ticket down there and I will buy it all and set it up for you.

The new avr's are actually easier to set up than they were in the past, the menus direct you to the next step for the most part, it is in the fine tuning that some more expert help might be required and I am sure with the wealth of knowledge available here and else where you can do all of this on your own.
Posted By: exlabdriver Re: AVR choices for a Technicphobe - 01/12/13 06:56 PM
I have a novel idea. Get a nice remotes holder - mine will hold about a dozen vertically on the end table.

Depending on what I am going to do, I take out the required OEM remotes & line them up on the coffee table - gives me a feeling of power, ha!. Turn on the subs with Velodyne's remote, turn on the Sony BD Player with its remote, turn on the Sony TV with its remote & finally turn on the Denon AVR with its remote. This sequence ensures no HDMI handshaking problems.

Watch the movie using mostly the Sony BD remote that works just like it is supposed to.

When finished, shut everything down in sequence & replace the remotes into their holder - unfortunately, the feeling of power diminishes dramatically.

This works flawlessly for me & doesn't cost anything extra except batteries (that really last forever)...

TAM
Posted By: JBG Re: AVR choices for a Technicphobe - 01/12/13 11:23 PM
why do you have to buy a harmony 1100 every year

Unless i'm just missing seeing it with the universal remote, i don't see that it has activity buttons, like "watch tv", "play DVD", "listen radio", "play CD". All i see is that it replaces multiple remotes, which won't simplify the process nearly as much because you still have to do every function. You need a remote like the Harmony One which is worth paying a premium price for that added simplicity.

I use the harmony 1100, but don't recommend that one, unless your equipment is in another room, like mine, or behind a closed door, and you like to buy a new one about once a year. I have no experience with the harmony one, but many people here have liked it.

When I want to watch a movie, I hit the touch screen button that says "DVD/blu-ray". This powers on the TV and selects the proper input mode. It powers on the AVR and puts it in the play DVD mode. It powers on the blu-ray player. I open the tray and put the movie in and close the tray. Wait for the menu on the blu-ray and play. When done, I remove the disc, close the tray, then push power off button on the remote. It powers off all 3 devices. If instead of turning it off I want to watch Tv now, it powers off the blu-ray player, but leaves the other components on, and sets them to the settings that's needed to watch TV. I don't have to remember anything.

Easy peasy Japanesy.
Posted By: jakewash Re: AVR choices for a Technicphobe - 01/12/13 11:42 PM
I believe he has had some bad luck with them and they have been failing after the warranty runs out. My One is now 3 years old and haven't had an once of trouble.
Posted By: JBG Re: AVR choices for a Technicphobe - 01/13/13 07:27 PM
He seems to have a love-hate thing going with it...

until logitech comes out with a new model he should condsider buying refurbushed units at 1/2 the price

having purchased a harmony 1100, I'm curious of the nature of these failed units

Originally Posted By: jakewash
I believe he has had some bad luck with them and they have been failing after the warranty runs out. My One is now 3 years old and haven't had an once of trouble.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: AVR choices for a Technicphobe - 01/13/13 11:19 PM
My luck with the Harmony 1100 has put the failure rate at once a year. I'm currently on my third one. I plan on purchasing an IR extender so I can use both the original remotes and a Harmony One, if it has the ability to program activities.

I find the touch screen is only useable for so many touches, then fails. It also depends on how much you use it.

I felt I needed the Harmony 1100 because my equipment is in the room behind the TV. But an IR extender will accomplish the same thing and cost 1/3 as much.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: AVR choices for a Technicphobe - 01/13/13 11:24 PM
I find the touch screen is only useable for so many touches, then fails.

You're not using it for "bad touching", are you?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: AVR choices for a Technicphobe - 01/13/13 11:30 PM
I hope not.
Posted By: JBG Re: AVR choices for a Technicphobe - 01/13/13 11:50 PM
Have you thought about a harmony touch (harmony one is discontinued).. I will if the 1100 fails.. really liked the fact that I can see & use 1100 in the dark and the programmable activities hope it will last...

My luck with the Harmony 1100 has put the failure rate at once a year. I'm currently on my third one. I plan on purchasing an IR extender so I can use both the original remotes and a Harmony One, if it has the ability to program activities.

I find the touch screen is only useable for so many touches, then fails. It also depends on how much you use it.

I felt I needed the Harmony 1100 because my equipment is in the room behind the TV. But an IR extender will accomplish the same thing and cost 1/3 as much.
Posted By: JBG Re: AVR choices for a Technicphobe - 01/14/13 01:39 AM
also found these guys who repair the harmony remotes...

http://www.harmonyremoterepair.com/repairs.html
Posted By: CatBrat Re: AVR choices for a Technicphobe - 01/14/13 01:47 AM
The harmony 900 is ths logical replacement for the 1100. They are both radio freq. models. The problem with the 900 is I can't access every option on the equipment like I can with the 1100.

But yes, Harmony touch probably, if I go the IR route.
Posted By: JBG Re: AVR choices for a Technicphobe - 01/14/13 02:12 AM
The harmony 900 is ths logical replacement for the 1100. They are both radio freq. models. The problem with the 900 is I can't access every option on the equipment like I can with the 1100.

But yes, Harmony touch probably, if I go the IR route.

the h-touch is backlit.. I would do the ir extender + touch
unless you want to wait for a new replacement model 1100,
the 900 isn't backlit
Posted By: JBG Re: AVR choices for a Technicphobe - 01/14/13 03:44 PM
how often do you use your h-1100, daily ? I use it like once a week.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: AVR choices for a Technicphobe - 01/14/13 04:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Johnny_Be_Good
how often do you use your h-1100, daily ? I use it like once a week.

Daily. I use it for everything. It probably gets an average of 10-30 screen button presses a day. I try to minimize that as much as possible anymore. One thing I've done is program the left arrow button (up or down, I forget) as pause and the righ arrow button as play, but I still use fast forward, and skip chapter a lot just to get past the previews.

One thing that would help with remotes of this type, is to have some generic buttons that can be programmed as I like.

In order to get to the menu of a particular component, TV, BD, AVR, you first have to press screen buttons for which component it is, then delve into the screen options to find the right menu button. I like to check and tweak, so this screen gets used a lot. I think converting to an IR extender would be the best thing for me to do.
Posted By: colson79 Re: AVR choices for a Technicphobe - 01/15/13 10:04 PM
I've had my Harmony One for a few years now and I haven't had any issues with it. The thing I really like about the One is that there are a lot of real buttons so I don't have to use the touch screen a lot.
Posted By: cb919 Re: AVR choices for a Technicphobe - 01/15/13 10:42 PM

In order to get to the menu of a particular component, TV, BD, AVR, you first have to press screen buttons for which component it is, then delve into the screen options to find the right menu button. I like to check and tweak, so this screen gets used a lot. I think converting to an IR extender would be the best thing for me to do.

Suggestion - can you program those menu access buttons into the activity? I do not have the 1100 but do have the Harmony One. On the One I have programmed a shortcut on the LCD screen to channel level adjustment on my AVR for quickly tweaking sub and center channels as needed within my current activity. I assume you could do the same on the 1100?
© Axiom Message Boards