Axiom Home Page
Posted By: CooLJ92 Question: cotton fiber inside speakers- - 01/19/08 07:05 PM
If I insert more cotton/fiber material inside my outdoor Algonquins make a difference in sound quality?? Noticed that only the bottom part of the speaker has it and not throughout the speaker.

What does it actually do?

jj
Posted By: bridgman Re: Question: cotton fiber inside speakers- - 01/19/08 07:23 PM
I believe the fiber controls how "resonant" the cabinet/port combination is, ie controls the amount of bass boost you get from the port.

- more fiber => less bass than the speaker was designed to produce

- less fiber => more bass, but boomy and uncontrolled

Probably helps keep the insects out too ;\)
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Question: cotton fiber inside speakers- - 01/19/08 08:49 PM
I'm guessing Axiom uses that amount needed for all the testing they did before the speaker hit the market. If they felt it needed more they would have put it there.

Maybe ask their engineers. The reason why people treat their rooms is partially the same reason why speakers are treated insides as well.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Question: cotton fiber inside speakers- - 01/19/08 11:51 PM
Yep, Axiom is definitely not stingy with the fiber in speakers which are designed to use a lot of it.

Ask any Axiom owner with a cat.
another reason why i hate cats
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Question: cotton fiber inside speakers- - 01/23/08 10:27 PM
We just washed our couch cushion covers this weekend. This morning we discovered cat puke on one of them.

Anybody want a free cat?
Posted By: medic8r Re: Question: cotton fiber inside speakers- - 01/23/08 11:30 PM
I'm having a barbecue this weekend, Peter. I'll provide the beer, you bring the cat.
Have any tips on how to convice the wife? I've been trying to do the same to her cat but she won't let me...
Posted By: alan Re: Question: cotton fiber inside speakers- - 01/28/08 05:54 PM
Hi,

I thought you might be interested so I passed your question on to Ian Colquhoun. I knew the fiber had an absorptive function and something to do with soaking up unwanted reflections inside the box, but Ian's answer is more detailed. Here's his response:

"It is amazing how little it does in a cabinet like ours that has the irregular side walls. Technically it should be placed directly behind the woofer and in the middle of the cabinet since that is where the sound waves will be traveling the fastest inside the cabinet and not around the side walls as is the norm. It can clean up the midrange if you are having reflected sound inside the cabinet interfering with the normal woofer travel."

Regards,
Posted By: CooLJ92 Re: Question: cotton fiber inside speakers- - 01/29/08 06:13 PM
Thank you Alan!

jj
© Axiom Message Boards