Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Terry55 Frozen Receiver - 06/13/08 11:24 AM
Ok so last night I am playing gutair hero and I have my yamaha htr-6050 running a pair of m22's and m2's in the back. I have it louder then normal but still not cranking by anymeans, the receiver was only at -15 to about - 20. All of a sudden the receiver locks up and starts making a high pitch buzzing noise and does not respond... I was forced to cut the power then all the speakers make a big popping noise( from the shut down).

Any ideas as to what happened/caused this, should my speakers/reciver be fine ?

Thanks in advance,

Terry
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Frozen Receiver - 06/13/08 12:09 PM
wow, that stinks. no clue what caused this.

*cue forum Guru(s)
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Frozen Receiver - 06/13/08 01:02 PM
 Quote:
*cue forum Guru(s)

{{Mark enters room by flying through open window. His cape flutters around his spandex suit}}.

Mark:

It's likely your output capacitors. I'm guessing that they are rated at 159k mF instead of the preferred 178k mF.

A fuller explanation:
The energy (measured in joules) stored in a capacitor is equal to the work done to charge it. Consider a capacitance C, holding a charge +q on one plate and -q on the other. Moving a small element of charge dq from one plate to the other against the potential difference V = q/C requires the work dW:

where

W is the work measured in joules
q is the charge measured in coulombs
C is the capacitance, measured in farads
We can find the energy stored in a capacitance by integrating this equation. Starting with an uncharged capacitance (q=0) and moving charge from one plate to the other until the plates have charge +Q and -Q requires the work W:

W is the energy measured in joules
C is the capacitance, measured in farads
V is the voltage measured in volts

OK. I honestly have no idea what I'm talking about. I just always wanted to enter a room like that. \:\)
Posted By: medic8r Re: Frozen Receiver - 06/13/08 01:17 PM
First LOL of the day.

Welcome back, SuperMarkSJohnson!

P.S. You'd be a lot more imposing if you didn't have that camera strapped around your neck and if you weren't having difficulty refolding that map. Makes you look like SuperTourist!

Oh well, at least you found his house.

Good stuff.
Posted By: fredk Re: Frozen Receiver - 06/13/08 01:44 PM
Wow, spandex. Been shopping while you were away have you?
Posted By: medic8r Re: Frozen Receiver - 06/13/08 01:50 PM
Oh yeah, word to the wise, Mark, next time you may want to wear a cup, or stuff something else in there, for ... aesthetics, you know?

Or maybe have Edna make your next costume a size larger. I still can't believe you got her to make you a cape.
Posted By: fredk Re: Frozen Receiver - 06/13/08 02:37 PM
He picked up the cape at Wallmart on the way over. No way Edna made that!
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Frozen Receiver - 06/13/08 02:51 PM
WOW - the whole "Mark in spandex" visual is just.......disturbing.
Posted By: Terry55 Re: Frozen Receiver - 06/13/08 04:36 PM
 Originally Posted By: Ray3
WOW - the whole "Mark in spandex" visual is just.......disturbing.

Although from the looks of his avatar/signature the visual of "Mark" without spandex would be far more disturbing.

On a related note wtf is wrong with my receiver/speakers!

Terry
Posted By: medic8r Re: Frozen Receiver - 06/13/08 04:43 PM
 Originally Posted By: Terry55
On a related note wtf is wrong with my receiver/speakers!

Uh, your receiver is busted.

I bet your speakers are fine (crosses fingers).

Hopefully someone with real audio knowhow will chime in.
Posted By: richeydog Re: Frozen Receiver - 06/13/08 04:59 PM
Did you try powering up the receiver after the meltdown occurred? Does it still work? Any sound?

Posted By: Zarak Re: Frozen Receiver - 06/13/08 05:14 PM
My Onkyo has locked a couple of times. It still worked and played whatever it was doing, but I could not turn it off or use any of the other functions on it. Basically it was stuck doing what it was doing. Only way to terminate was to kill power as well. It works fine after that, but each time I've had to do it I have had to put my calibration settings back in again. It's only happened 3 or 4 times in the 5 year's I have had it, so it hasn't been annoying enough to do anything else about.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Frozen Receiver - 06/13/08 05:37 PM
Mark, did you not see "The Incredibles"? Capes are dangerous.

Heckuva post, buddy. It would have made my day if I either knew what you were talking about or believed that you did.

OP: What the smart guys said. Plus, check to see if you have fuses in the receiver. Maybe you'll get lucky.
Posted By: Terry55 Re: Frozen Receiver - 06/13/08 05:38 PM
Fortunatly both the receiver and speakers are still working. I have been keeping it at low volumes to avoid the problem again for now. I was asking because I thought it was perhaps something that could be avoided, rather then just an abnormality, hopefully the latter is the case and I can continue using the speakers as planned.
Posted By: fredk Re: Frozen Receiver - 06/13/08 07:17 PM
Glad the receiver is still working. This seems like another vote against Onkyo as a receiver though.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Frozen Receiver - 06/13/08 07:34 PM
Fred, it was a Yamaha...
Posted By: BrenR Re: Frozen Receiver - 06/13/08 07:38 PM
I'm wondering if being that it's not a music source, but a "synthesized" source - that the signal might be hot or chock full of some nastiness - square waves, etc?

How is your console connected?

Bren R.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Frozen Receiver - 06/14/08 02:29 AM
First, commenting on the primary topic here, I doubt that Joyce would permit Mark to leave the house with cape and spandex tights designed by Edna.

Another point was mentioned about a Yamaha suddenly losing the program material and making a loud buzzing noise. This actually might be involved with the capacitors that Mark so clearly described for us. The capacitors in the power supply section are supposed to filter out noise before it gets to the amplifying section, and the noise described might indicate that one of them is going bad.
Posted By: fredk Re: Frozen Receiver - 06/14/08 03:02 AM
Getting confused with zarak I guess.

John. His wife thinks he's bowling. I doubt he'll get another outfit from Edna after she finds out about the cape.
© Axiom Message Boards