Axiom Home Page
Posted By: SirQuack Indianapolis - 03/25/08 07:32 PM
I'll be in Indy from Thursday until Monday afternoon on business this weekend. Not sure what I'll do during the weekend, any ideas? There are only a few Axiomites in Indy, but don't see much activity for them on the threads.
Posted By: SRoode Re: Indianapolis - 03/25/08 09:20 PM
If you like seafood, go to the Oceanaire Seafood Room, 30 S Meridian St, (317) 955-2277. They have some of the best oysters I've ever had.

If you like steaks, there's a Ruth's Cris steakhouse in walking distance from the Oceanaire.

During the weekend, the zoo is about 1 mile from downtown proper, as is an I-Max theater and the Indiana State Museum.

The Indianapolis Museum of Art has over 150 acres of gardens. It's about 2 miles from downtown.

For gaming fun downtown there's a place called Jillian's which is like a Dave and Busters. There are a bunch of bars and clubs in that area. There is also a great Irish type pub there call the Claddagh... If you go there, get the fish and chips!

If you like Basketball (I don't) the Pacers are playing the Nets on Friday at 7pm.

If you go out of the downtown area, up North a bit to the 50th st area, there's an area called Broadripple that has nice restaurants, nightclubs, etc. Usually a younger group there, but still fun.

It's a great little city, one I'm proud to call my home now.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Indianapolis - 03/25/08 10:02 PM
Great, thanks for the info..... instead of cruising the Axiom forums all weekend from the Courtyard Marriott, I'll need to get out. \:\)
Posted By: Wid Re: Indianapolis - 03/25/08 10:28 PM

Isn't Indy where Clause makes his amps?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Indianapolis - 03/25/08 11:41 PM
No, Rick, that's the North Pole.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Indianapolis - 03/25/08 11:50 PM
\:D
Posted By: Wid Re: Indianapolis - 03/26/08 01:09 AM

That's right, it's his brother Klaus that runs the southern division \:D \:D
Posted By: SRoode Re: Indianapolis - 03/26/08 01:58 AM
Northen Division... Snow Miser.
Southern Division... Heat Miser.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Indianapolis - 03/26/08 03:15 AM
Maybe visit Dave Letterman's mother ? She seems nice.
Posted By: CV Re: Indianapolis - 03/26/08 03:34 AM
Dorothy? I have her cookbook on my shelf, but I guess I don't like cooking.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Indianapolis - 03/26/08 04:31 AM
Don't forget the gentlemen's clubs by the airport!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Indianapolis - 03/26/08 01:34 PM
Yep, I tossed around the idea of looking up Klaus, not sure maybe I still will, don't really have anything I want to purchase unless he will give me my money back to go towards the Axiom 1400. \:\)

I'm suprised we don't have more Indy Axiomites on the forums...
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Indianapolis - 03/26/08 01:58 PM
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
Yep, I tossed around the idea of looking up Klaus, not sure maybe I still will, don't really have anything I want to purchase unless he will give me my money back to go towards the Axiom 1400. \:\)

Most....awkward....Meet and Greet.....EVER.....
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Indianapolis - 03/26/08 03:43 PM
Yeah, Mark, but you could add a few tasty data points to the "awkward meet and greet" curve if you ever left your studio.

\:\)
Posted By: medic8r Re: Indianapolis - 03/26/08 05:12 PM
He alleges he is "working."

Oops, pot calling the kettle black!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Indianapolis - 03/26/08 10:43 PM
I'm just waiting for Tuttlefest '08......
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Indianapolis - 03/27/08 12:17 AM
Steve, did you ever get the m80's for that awesome theater room?
Posted By: Joe_in_SC Re: Indianapolis - 03/27/08 12:53 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum. That's an amazing place even if you're not a big car buff. A ride around the track is something you'll never forget.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Indianapolis - 03/27/08 01:28 AM
I should have mentioned that when I was 14 I got to go to the Indy 500 with a friend and his family, however, we didn't do much more than that. \:\)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Indianapolis - 03/27/08 01:44 AM
That's pretty significant in and of itself. I'm jealous.
Posted By: SRoode Re: Indianapolis - 03/27/08 11:35 AM
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
Steve, did you ever get the m80's for that awesome theater room?

I'm on day 11 of the wait... I ordered them (as well as the VP150 and two EP500's) from the factory outlet, so I'm hoping I get them by the weekend after this one (Next friday would be day 19).

It's tough not even getting a status update after almost 2 weeks!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Indianapolis - 03/27/08 01:21 PM
you may be suprised, most of the time they will arrive much earlier than the dates shown in the FO schedule.

my flight takes off from Des Moines in a couple of hours, will check back later...
Posted By: SRoode Re: Indianapolis - 03/28/08 05:18 PM
Sirquack,

One more thing. Tomorrow, March 29th, is the US Coin Operated Game Auction at the Indy State Fairgrounds. They will supposedly have machines just coming off use in the field that they want to get rid of cheaply. Usually, you have to haul things out yourself though.

I'll probably stop by to see if there's anything to add to the basement.
Posted By: duckman Re: Indianapolis - 03/29/08 02:13 AM
Since you brought up arcade machines... I have 5 classics I've tried unsuccessfully to give away. Even tried on this forum a couple times. I have Gravitar, wizard-o-wor,gyruss,Kangaroo,and Battlezone. If you (or anyone) wants em, they're yours. I need the space.

Originally Posted By: SRoode
Sirquack,

One more thing. Tomorrow, March 29th, is the US Coin Operated Game Auction at the Indy State Fairgrounds. They will supposedly have machines just coming off use in the field that they want to get rid of cheaply. Usually, you have to haul things out yourself though.

I'll probably stop by to see if there's anything to add to the basement.

Posted By: SirQuack Re: Indianapolis - 03/29/08 02:38 AM
Well, thanks for the info Steve, not sure I could fit that with my carry on bag. \:\) Would be cool, I used to love hanging out in the arcades in the 80's....

Duckman, I think I remember when you were talking about these once. I can't remember, do they need work or are they in good condition? Not my favorite titles, but not bad though.. \:\)
Posted By: duckman Re: Indianapolis - 03/29/08 03:08 AM
They all need work of some kind. The wizard-o-wor,gyruss,and kangaroo need monitor kits (or a replacement chassis), or a new monitor. Figure $5 for a cap kit to $100-200 for a complete monitor. I found a site with replacement chassis for like $65.
Ok- I went and found the place here I never dealt with them, just found them.
It's an easy swap, I could do it if someone wanted.
The gravaitar is different breed of cat. It's a color vector monitor (read obsolete) the monitor just quit while running. They may have new technolgy now to replace a vector monitor, I havn't paid attention in some time. It is a gorgeous cabinet, way cool looking, I'd be tempted to put a pc running mame in it.
The battlezone runs fine till it warms up, then starts resetting itself. This is another nice looking cab.
I can take some pics... ;\)
Posted By: SRoode Re: Indianapolis - 03/29/08 09:49 AM
That is a very generous offer duckman. I bought a MAME cabinet from a local dealer here last year (Dream Authentics). If I didn't have that already I would have jumped on that offer!

I'm going to the auction today to look for a Back to the Future pinball machine, and an electronic dart machine.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Indianapolis - 03/29/08 12:02 PM
that would be awesome Steve, I have to go work and setup 10 pcs in our Indy office, otherwise, that auction sounds fun. \:\(
Posted By: bridgman Re: Indianapolis - 03/29/08 12:54 PM
If anyone feels like travelling around the world to build an arcade machine I have a very high quality vector monitor free to good home. It worked the last time I used it, which was several years ago. We bought it perhaps (ohmigod !) 30 years ago for use in a video effects studio -- quantized a black and white video input, used the quantizer output to supply a Z component. Next step was to generate X and Y scan sawtooth voltages and feed those plus the Z into an analog transformation matrix then use the outpot of that to drive the vector monitor.

The result was video with an artificial depth component, spun in 3 dimensions on the screen, with sufficiently high quality that we could capture it with another video camera and use the result in commercials etc...

Toss in some video feedback and it was better than most of the drugs available at the time ;\)

Anyways, the monitor weighs about 125 pounds and is currently at my parents house (I think we were using it to give my father a bigger screen for his Macintosh). I'm sure my mother is sick of dusting it.
Posted By: SRoode Re: Indianapolis - 03/29/08 05:20 PM
Just got back from the auction. It was pretty cool, I had never been to a "real" auction before and it was very exciting. No "Back to the Future Pinball" there, but they did have 3 dart machines. They were being auctioned off later on, and I didn't feel like hanging around that long.

I did pick up a Merit Megatouch XL5000 for $275. It's one of those touch screen games you see in bars. Cool thing is when I won the auction, they threw me the keys! When I got home, there was $2 in the bill acceptor too!

Fun day!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Indianapolis - 03/29/08 08:21 PM
We had an interesting day. After finishing in the office, we decided to go to the Indy 500 Speedway. The gal that is in town with me has a $400 Garmin GPS in the car so we just plugged in the destination and listened.

After about 20 minutes we ended up down town for whatever reason, not even close to the speedway. I said to turn the dang thing off and pulled out a map, we headed over to 465 and got back on track. Heck, if we would have taken 465 to begin with, we wouldn't have wasted about an hour. \:\)
Posted By: jakewash Re: Indianapolis - 03/29/08 08:33 PM
should have been a Tom Tom. I hear they work better;\)
Posted By: SRoode Re: Indianapolis - 03/29/08 08:51 PM
465, West side, around 10th st if I remember correctly. Just go west from there.

I think they have a golf course there that plays into the Speedway infield.
Posted By: SRoode Re: Indianapolis - 04/21/08 10:39 PM
Randy, I forgot to ask... What was your impression of the city? Did you get to go to any nice places to eat?
© Axiom Message Boards