aficionado
Can't seem to upload any full size images from picasa

"If you try to turn toward it, you go against it."
Re: First iteration
SatKartr #247603 02/18/09 05:47 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
I can upload images to google but the default operation for copying images to my hard drive so I can post directly to axiom decimates the size; all I am trying to do is make images from my digital camera an appropriate size for upload to web, why is this complicated and not user friendly, there must be a better program to make this happen

SatKartr #247604 02/18/09 05:53 AM
shareholder in the making
Seriously, people, open the full image in something like MS Paint, go to the resize command, and change the size to something manageable. This is not rocket science. If you're on a Mac, use iPhoto to Export the photo as a smaller size.

Full size images are huge--they'd take forever to upload, take up valuable drive space on the host's server(s), and would take a million years for people to view.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #247606 02/18/09 06:12 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
OK I realize this is not "rocket science" however I have little interest in photography applications other than being able to accomplish the basic functions, that's why I asked Jason/myrison what he recommended as an easy way to process photos to the right size and he recommended picasa.

I'm trying to be a good citizen and asking for suggestions how not to clog up the bandwith, not looking for snarky comments, I already realize that "full size images are huge," blah blah blah the rest of your obvious points, hence my question, if you don't have time to help don't bother.

SatKartr #247607 02/18/09 06:19 AM
Well, naturally, using MS Paint or iPhoto aren't suggestions, so you can ignore that entire part of my post. I understand you're frustrated, but I've just seen a rash of people trying to upload huge stuff and then bitching that Axiom didn't make it easy for them, and frankly, I'm tired of it.

Also, to all of you out there who say anyone should just shut up because they didn't answer your specific question, I'll post what I darn well want to, when I darn well want to, where I darn well want to, and you should feel free to do so too.

Back on point, have a look around in Picasa for something that says resize image. You'll want the bit that resizes by pixel (if available) rather than by percentage.

I think a lot of the confusion is that there's two ways to post pictures on the forums. There's the old way, with [image] tags, where you have your photos already uploaded to some site that allows cross linking, such as photobucket or me.com/mac.com. And there's the way that only works in the Gallery--resize the pictures on your own computer (often you can do this with the software that came with your camera, which is otherwise complete and total crap) and then use the upload function here.

The most important thing is to use the preview to see what's going to be posted. If it doesn't show up in the preview for you, it's not going to show for anyone else. That way you don't get 4 pages of people being frustrated about how their thread is blank and other people making fun of them for it. You also get to skip my little rants by doing that. ;\)

Ken.C #247611 02/18/09 06:45 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Thanks for your response, I'm frustrated mainly because I did not want to post a dud thread, and my attempts to avoid that were unsuccessful, or be reduced to having to post weblinks to the pictures, which turned out to be the case.

I suspect picasa wants me to purchase some full featured upgrade to perform what should be an automatic function, i.e., when I upload the images to a web gallery they are the appropriate size, e.g., 640 X 480, 41 kb jpeg, however when I select "Save Image As" Google converts it to a 4 kb thumbnail, thus decimating the image.

Jason advised me regarding "the old way," that there would be some way with picasa to crosslink the images, however I was unable to make that work in the proper thread, the Gallery thread.

I am more interested in the "new way" however I agree that most of the software accompanying digicams appear to be crap and therefore am more interested in a generic solution, having little interest currently in photo processing.

Sorry if I ignored your suggestions, does my Vista machine have MS Paint in there somewhere? I can't remember when I last saw that application, last time I remember Adobe, Corel, or Microsoft Windows Photo Gallery or some such being applications that could be used to modify photos, I have been out of the loop for some time and am reluctantly attempting to relearn the basics.

Thanks again for your response,
SK

SatKartr #247612 02/18/09 07:06 AM
Absolutely. If you right click the photo in Windows Explorer (or on your desktop, wherever it is), you'll see something that says "Open with". Choose that, then choose Paint. In the Tools menu (I think; I don't have access to Windows right now), you should find something along the lines of resize. I think you may have to use percentages to do it, but with a little experimentation, you should get there. Good luck!

Ken.C #247625 02/18/09 12:50 PM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
That way you don't get 4 pages of people being frustrated about how their thread is blank and other people making fun of them for it.

But picking on Zimm was the most fun we've had around here in days!

Well, at least since the "Screefer Sock Incident of '09"

MarkSJohnson #247637 02/18/09 02:56 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ken - man, take it easy on a guy trying to figure out how to post an image. \:\) Admittedly, it's a common question and he's not the first person to have trouble with it using Axiom's board functionality.

SK,

When you upload from Picasa to Picasa web albums, the first option it gives you from within the Picasa program is to resize the images before posting. [my recommendation is to choose either 1600 or 1024, definitely do not use the original size]

Check this tutorial for how to use Picasa to do this. If you do it this way, there's no need for MS Paint, Picasa will do it for you. Make sure that when you create your web album you make it public (as opposed to private)... doing any other way makes it more cumbersome to share images.

Once you have the images in an online gallery at Picasa, use these instructions to copy the URL link from Picasa and paste it into the Axiom post. You must make one key change to the instructions here for this to work on Axiom's forum. Instead of copying/pasting the URL as indicated here from the "link" field in Picasa, right click on the selected image and choose "copy image location" (or the similar command depending on what browser you are using)

When pasting into the Axiom post [not necessarily the gallery here, just referring to any standard Axiom post], you must be in the "full reply screen" and click the third button from the left, "enter an image." Then paste the URL of the image into this field that you should have copied in the previous field. It should begin with http" and end with .jpg (or whatever file extension your picture is, i.e. .gif, .png) etc.

If that still doesn't work, let us know which step you're getting stumped on.

Jason

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Andrew, Brent, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,486
Members15,617
Most Online2,082