I need some steering on my choice of receiver. I just ordered and Epic 80 system with an additional QS-8 for the rear (I would rather have gone direct-radiator here, but my only placement option defeats the point).

My room is roughly 15'x23' with a vaulted ceiling (peak is 17 feet in architectural skylight wells, which are 4 feet deep at the peak... bass-sucking monsters :-)). The Epic 80 will be paired with a Sunfire True Signature, not the EP350 (which I'll be using elsewhere with my M22ti's). The Sunfire is for theater only, or at least that's my hope (having not heard the M80ti's in the room yet). Presumably I'll be using a low crossover frequency. Note that the Sunfire sub is largely a choice made by size, not just how it sounds (though I do love it for home theater).

So here's my problem... I need a new receiver. I'm currently using a Yamaha RX-V2095, which I have enjoyed but it's dated. I'd really like to have 3 progressive video inputs at 100MHz, I need all three and the RX-V2095 has none. I'd also like some more power, but that's based on my current speakers (Polk RT2000p mains, RT600i for surrounds, CS400i center). Hence it's mixed in with my beef with the Polk RT2000p mains, which is that the amps in them seem to have abysmal damping (they drive the pair of 8" woofers) so no amount of positioning gets me the bass response I want. I'm a drumset player, and few things bother me more than a muddy bass drum when I know the source has very high attack and decay rates. If it's 'thwap' on the source, that's what I want to hear when listening. I'm pretty sure the M80ti's will suit me fine here, and the Sunfire will take care of the rest. However...

How much power do I need for reference listening levels? I'm looking at the Yamaha RX-Z1, the Denon AVR-5803 and the Sunfire Ultimate Receiver. If the Yamaha will get me there, I'm tempted to go that route since it's easily the least expensive. I do worry about it being too bright with the M80ti's, but it looks like the resistor trick can solve most of that and I do have a digital EQ I can continue to use on my mains (though I'd rather leave it out if only for space in the rack). Plus I need high-hat to be crystal clear, so brightness isn't necessarily a bad thing for me (depends on where it is in the spectrum). My ideal choice looks to be the Sunfire (sans the price), but it looks like I need to drive 150 miles or so to audition one. I've auditioned the Yamaha and the Denon, but not with M80ti's and not in my room (in fact, in two different rooms, sigh). I like the headroom on the Denon, it didn't want to give up anything until very high listening levels. The Yamaha seemed weaker on this front (obviously, it has less power), but it was in a very dead room compared to my family room.

So, does anyone think I need the Denon or Sunfire, or will the Yamaha be sufficient power-wise? I'd prefer the Sunfire over the Denon for remote control reasons (I much prefer the hard buttons on the MX-500 over LCD touchscreen), and of course the extra power if I really need it. But I have no idea what it sounds like, other than what I've read in one review, nor if I need the power. Price is roughly the same for the Denon and the Sunfire.

The other major difference is that the Denon and Sunfire are Firewire-ready. However, I've yet to see a need for it. Can someone enlighten me? I haven't seen multichannel Firewire sources, do they exist?