All 3 of the receivers I'm looking at have three sets of 100MHz component video inputs. The Sunfire even has two sets of component video outs, as well as the ability to pass a 2-channel digital mixdown of multichannel sources out via S/PDIF.

The main reason I'm not doing separates in the family room is space and user-friendliness for my wife (who doesn't share my enthusiasm for electronics :-)). The Outlaw 770 is around the price of the RX-Z1 at a discount dealer (just under $2000), and with a preamp with all the surround bells and whistles (at least DD EX and DTS ES) and three 100MHz component video inputs, I think I'd go well over the price of the Denon or the Sunfire. In the long run it's potentially cheaper, but I'm not one of those people who runs out and buys a new front end every time a new surround format arrives. I don't see myself needing a better front end than that in any of these receivers for at least 5 years, if ever. I get more excited about gear for the studio than I do about the latest home theater gear. f there comes a day that I need more than 6.1, it won't be in the family room, it'll be in a dedicated viewing room. :-)

Call this crazy, but another one of my consideration is weight. The gear in the family room does need to be moved once in a while (dusting, etc.) and I already take heat for the weight of the RX-V2095. Can you imagine my wife's reaction to a 770? :-) The Sunfire is actually terribly appealing for this reason, I guess I'm gonna have to get off my butt and drive somewhere where I can audition one. Weight is also the reason I bought a Sony Grand WEGA instead of a rear projector (at the time DLP wasn't readily available, nor LCOS, etc.). It weighs in around 125 pounds, 40 pounds lighter than my 32" Sony CRT. The wife is happy, and I don't lose sleep wondering if a 400 pound rear projector is destroying the floating hardwood floor. :-)

With regard to reference listening levels... there are occasions when I want 100+dB peaks with 2-channel sources. I'm not overly concerned with any of these receivers for movies, the real power I need there is taken care of by the Sunfire True Signature. Yes, it's scary to think of someone listening at those levels, but some of my snare drums peak at greater than 100dB on a good rim shot (at my ear). Very short attack and decay, not unlike a gunshot, and I want to be able to get somewhere near that when I'm listening to a favorite piece or watching an instructional video (whether it's Carmine Appice, Terry Bozzio, Billy Cobham, ....). Obviously I don't listen at these levels often (and wear ear protection when I'm playing the drumset that loud), but I don't want my gear to prevent me from indulging myself for short periods once in a while (favorite 12 bars of a song, etc.). i.e. there are times I want to feel like the drummer is in the room with me.