Hi Mark,

It looks like you and Bren know a lot more than I do about audio editors for the PC. I could use some recommendations. I hate the one I’m using from Roxio 6.5. It’s limited and worse it crashes with regularity.

I’ve been researching the same 78 rpm record topic lately. My wife has a large pile of 78’s she wants to play and have recorded to CD. Knowing nothing about record players when I started, I found this 78rpm website helpful in explaining the issues with playing 78’s. They also sell some record players by Esoeric Sound specifically designed for playing the old records. The Needle Doctor had all kinds of stuff too including a LARGE listing of all the players that handle 78 rpm and all kinds of 78 record needles.

www.78rpm.com
www.esotericsound.com
www.needledoctor.com

The 4 big issues for 78 records seem to be:
1) 78 rpm means anything from 60-90 rpm.
2) Special needles are required.
3) Standard RIAA equalization curves are not used you need some kind of equalizer and ideally information to set the equalization properly.
4) Vertical movement only Edison and Pathe records need some additional adjustment which I haven’t fully figured out yet. Perhaps it just connects the playing channel to both stereo outputs.

I’ve read reviews on the Audio Technics turntable. The biggest complaint was the RCA cables which are hard wired to the turntable. I can’t remember at the moment what the needle was, but I recall the speed adjustment range was fairly small.

I’d appreciate knowing what you find out. I haven’t made any decisions yet on the hardware I need to buy.

P.S. The interesting stuff on 78rpm isn't so easy to find so here is the link to the most useful information page.
http://www.78rpm.com/rescat/tech_info.htm

Last edited by Montclair; 09/15/05 11:43 PM.