Like most people who dive into the high end theater/stereo systems, I was used to a system you just hook up and you're done and that's it. My old Technique system, you could not even set a crossover or even worry about "large or "small." It was all defaulted and you had no control over it.

When I first hooked up my Axioms to my HK630, the speakers sounded loud and clear but really sounded not right. This was my first venture into a high end system. After a week of reading these boards and playing around with my own system settings, I found out that the default crossover settings on the HK were set to 100hz or 120hz (I forgot which) and I had my sub woofer set to something like 40hz. I was effectively cutting off 40-120hz range worth of sound. Once I got everything tuned in I was estatic with the way my system now sounds. Even after getting everything adjusted to have a good sound, I further got everything adjusted to where I think it sounds the best.

I still play around with the settings to hear the differences. You don't always listen to the same type of music or watch the same movies. Some music/movies may sound better with different settings. Once that switch in your head clicks and you understand what all this crap means, you'll enjoy playing around with it.

Shag