Thanks for the replies. Bridgman, thank you so much for doing some more tests with your M2s, hope its not too much trouble!

Placing the speakers on the shelf next to my TV isn't the optimal placement for them, but it's the best I can do given my apartment layout. As you can see in the picture posted above, the wall behind the TV has openings on either side. One side opens into a dining room and the other side opens into the kitchen. I can't place the speakers any further apart because of these openings.

My current speakers are old JVC hand-me-downs. One of them partly blocks the opening to the dining room (you can see this one in the picture) and the other is placed on the other side of the opening to the kitchen.

My seating position is 9-10 feet from the TV. If I get stands, I could put the M22's on either side of the wall openings. This would place them about 12 feet apart. Probably not ideal, but it is better than the ~3 feet apart if they are next to the TV.

I'm kinda rambling now, so to get back on topic: given bridgman's and JohnK's experiences (and hopefully some new experiments by bridgman!) I feel ~75% confident that I won't experience shielding problems with the M22's.