In reply to:

I barely listen to radio at all. In my car, I tune in a local station, that is licensed to a nearby high school, but is privately owned, and plays old stuff from the 30s and 40s. No commercials, and the "jocks" comprise high school students, and elderly volunteers. Most all of them are awful, but I don't mind in the least since I get so much great old music, with minimal interruption.

Jack I am in complete agreement with you on this one! Over the last 5 years or so I've listened to less and less radio. Especially with the rock stations gravitating to the cookie-cutter "nu rock" of Nickelback, Default, et al. The rock station here in Saskatoon plays the same 10 artists constantly throughout the day, most of those 10 albums being 80s rock to make matters worse (no offence to any big fans of the 80s).

The last few months i've started listening to more radio again as I've picked up on a local "community" radio here in Saskatoon. It sounds very similar to your local station, pretty much anyone off the street can DJ an hour or two. Not much for advertising - they run a fundraiser every year. They are a great source of music on the cutting edge though, with a very ecelectic selection. Everything from obscure Bob Dylan to Corb Lund to Hot Hot Heat to spoken word poetry. Very refreshing not to hear the same 20 songs on repeat every day.

CFCR 90.5 FM

It is my understanding that they are switching over to a new transmitter with their fund drive money this year and the goal later this year is to begin webcasting.

"Chickens don't clap."