Hello Doubting Thomas 29

I've been thinking about your post since yesterday and have a few thoughts.

First, I agree with you about vinyl, there is an undeniable magic to a well recorded piece of music played on a good table through a good cartridge ... folks who look at graphs won't get it. You've got to hear it.

Second, it may be your amplification that is the problem rather than your Axioms. May I ask about the rest of your system?

Third, the room is the most significant factor in sound quality. In my last home, I had my big system in a large bedroom in which nothing sounded right. I went from Infinity Composition Overture 3s, to Axiom M50s, to Michaura M665s and then Thiel CS 3.6s, just never sounded right no matter the amplification or receiver or source.

My living room on the other hand made a Sony boom box sound outstanding. Go figure.

Fourth, I've had Wharfedale Diamonds, and they are great speakers.

Fifth, if you like vinyl, maybe you might want to go with tubes?

No one asked, but here's what I would do ...

(1) swap your Axiom mains for whatever you're considering and make sure they sound better in your room than your Axioms. If the new speakers don't sound better ... return them and save your money for something that will make a difference.

(2) Get yourself a nice Prima Luna tube amp (integrated), pour a nice single malt and rainwater, kick back in your favorite listening chair and get ready for some audio nirvana.

Anyway, you're obviously an open minded person who trusts his ears instead of conventional wisdom. Let us know what you end up doing and how it all sounds. Audio is a journey. Someday there'll be inexpensive systems which are indistinguishable in sound quality from the real thing. In the mean time we tweak, we swap components, we search for the true sound.

Good luck brother.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.