Hi all, I'll start off by saying I've enjoyed my M3Ti's and have even defended them against (paid?) naysayers (avsforum Ailemental (sp?)) but something is bugging me. I use the speakers about 50/50 for music and DVD's certain music sounds great on the speakers while other music sounds fairly poor, I've brought this down to the source material being the problem as a lot of music has literally blown me away on these speakers (not to mention I listen to alot of metal and rock which is poorly mastered). Now on to my concern... while watching DVDs I get a very shrill distortion sometimes in movies when people shout or talk loudly almost as though the speaker is blown. I have no idea whether or not the source is to blame or whether the speakers I received might be damaged. Is there any kind of test for this because some things sound great but in many dvds I get this shrill distortion when people talk or shout, as I mentioned, and it's starting to drive me crazy. I would like to try and figure out if the source is to blame or if the speakers I receieved might be damaged before I send them back. I've heard cheapy blown speakers before and in some music they still sound ok (as in you can't tell they're damaged) but for others you can definitely tell they've been damaged and it reminds me of what I'm experiencing with the M3Ti's I just received, some times they sound great but at certain times they sound as though they are heavily distorted. I wonder could the source cause this problem or did I receive damaged speakers. I've never played the speakers loud at all, I don't live in such an environment where I would be allowed to do so, so there is no chance that I could have damaged the speakers by overdriving them. As I said before, some things, I'd even say most things, sound great. But, that shrill voice I get in movies is really grating my nerves and makes me not want to show of my new setup to people without fear they'll tear it to pieces.

Oh I'm using a panasonic XR-55 to drive the speakers via SPDIF out from my PC.

I really appreciate any input or advice.