As I have been sorting out my receiver/DVD player with regard to playing audio CD's and switching between the coax and analog outputs, I have suddenly noticed what I believe to be a ground loop hum. I hear it out of all five speakers, fortunately not just my new M22Ti's and VP150, but it is most noticeable from the front three. With the VP 150, the sound appears to be coming more from the right hand mid range drivers than the left while facing the speakers. The sound is pretty low frequency and rather than a continuous sound like a tone, it is almost like a low frequency vibration. I assume this is ground loop hum.

My receiver is an older HK AVR65 that was know for having ground loop hum issues, but I swear I have not heard it until tonight. It is loud enough that I can hear it from ten feet away. The only thing I have done since Saturday night when I didn't hear the hum was change speaker size from large to small for audio CD playback. I can't believe this would be the cause.

Lastly, with the receiver powered up but my DVD player off, I get no hum. Once I power up the DVD player I can hear it. I have since removed the analog connection between the DVD player and receiver but the hum is still present. Could the problem be with the DVD player and not the receiver? What would make it happen all the sudden? Is this the excuse I need to buy the new AVR335/435 that I want?

If someone can possibly confirm that what I am hearing is indeed a ground loop hum, that would be a big help. Gotta go and troubleshoot.

Greg