In reply to:

By the way some of the loudest crazies who love to bash Axiom at AVS are retail audio merchants who feel threatened by internet sellers. One of them even goes so far to complain about ringing from aluminum drivers even though he admits to tintinitis in the ear where he hears the ringing.

John, I, of course, know exactly who you are talking about. I was amazed to see him appear in a Klipsch thread spouting the same denigrating insults he heaps on Axioms, and hyping the speaker brand he sells. It turns out that he sells ONLY that one brand, and introduces it into every thread in which he posts. He is a master of subtle marketing (or not so subtle, depending upon how you look at it).

He refers to the speakers which are the subject of the thread as:

1. "massively overpriced"
2. "phenomenally ugly"
3. "flawed because of their design"
4. "great speakers, right up until you find out what you're missing" (I'm particularly fond of this argument. He's saying, in essence, "If you only knew better, you wouldn't like these speakers, i.e. you're ignorant).

He continues with Klipsch are:

5. "OK, if you're an average listener" (more of the "you'd like these speakers only if you're ignorant" argument)
6. "I guess I'm just used to a much higher level of performance."
7. "I hereby give you permission to enjoy your system, despite all its limitations"

And believe me, that's just a small percentage of his garbage. He uses much the same trash in Axiom threads.

Another little trick of his is to point out all the brands (including Axiom) that people have traded in to buy his brand, thus implying that his brand MUST be superior or these people wouldn't have traded their speakers for his. Never mind that we could probably find just as many people, if not more, who have traded in HIS brand for other brands. ALL speaker brands get traded in, for pete's sake.

Get this! When people who own Klipsch object to being referred to as "average" and "not knowing what they're missing, he has the gall to say:

"Well, note that all I did was put in my 2¢ and.....At least I haven't personally attacked anyone here personally."

Oh sure! No one should take it personally if they are referred to as being ignorant. Don't you love it?

But, here is the topper! He admits that he has NEVER HEARD THE KLIPSCH SYSTEM THAT WAS THE SUBJECT OF THE THREAD! After making all those derogatory comments, the last post in the thread is his. It says:

"Well, I heard the Ultras today. I'll let it go at that. I just wanted people to know that, yes, I bothered to listen."

Just in case anyone is interested.

NEWBIE - Buying Klipsch - HELP!!

DISCLAIMER: I apologize to all for bringing the AVS dissention over to our relatively peaceful corner of the web. I do so only to point out to jrock65 that what you get on that forum, and for that matter, on all forums are OPINIONS.

It's OK to factor those opinions into the decision making process. Just don't make your decision based on opinions alone. The only way to know the sound of ANY speaker brand, and decide if that sound is for you, is to listen to it yourself.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton