John--
I thought that was hysterical -- particularly since I sent a note to Mark saying almost the exact same thing!

Funny how things you've read about and thought you understood (like lobing) suddenly take on a whole new depth of meaning when you actually experience it. Guess that's why I loved Chem labs in college! Or perhaps why I'm not in chemistry 25 years later.

Anyhow, I am stuck with my speakers' orientation. Next steps will be to play with:
1) The degree of toe-in, which should hopefully improve the dip @ 250Hz *at* the listening position (though likely just move it somewhere else)
2) The angle up/down. I'm thinking that changing it relative to the listening position *might* make it more on-axis?

We'll have to see how the changes impact the overall sound experience with respect to imaging and coherence. Life is full of trade-offs, so why should this be any different?!

It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, sounds better to my ears, and then doing the measurements to see what my biases really are. I'll report back.

Regards,
Rich