In reply to:

Well planned use of your space!

And that really is the key before starting. Have an idea, plan it as far as possible and try to stick to it. More than once we almost varied with different ideas and decided no, stick with the plan. There are enough unforeseen changes that will occur throughout the project as it is.
Saves the contractor alot of headaches too.

In reply to:

Was this an unfinished basement that you had started from?

Completely.
Nothing but some 2x3 standard studs on the outside walls. We used some of them, not all, but otherwise it was a blank slate. Even the stairs were without backplates such that if you slipped on the step, your leg would go right through jamming the wood against your shin with horrible agony.

In reply to:

Did you plan the layout and do most of the renos yourself?

Layout, colours, furniture and some finish work, yes, but most of the rough material and a chunk of the finishing (wall painting, door installs) were done by our contractors.

In reply to:

Any special floor treatment (like Delta-FL) put down prior to final floor coverings?

There is a good quality pad under all the carpet. There is a membrane and blue pad under the laminate floor and the ceramic tile is sitting on a sub-floor off the concrete.
The sub-floor underboard, plus cellar walls and ceiling (floor joists) were all sprayed with urethane foam for insulation.

In reply to:

I noticed you used Roxul (Safe N Sound) in the walls. Excellent choice.

Yes. No formaldehyde formulaic insulation. The sound control has been excellent. Good dense insulation. We did the floor joists in the ceiling, plus all surrounding walls, then drywalled. The floor joists received a double thickness as did some of the wall sections.
In reply to:

My wife reeeally wants a french door on the entrance to the Media Room but I am hesitant.

Don't be.
Ours doesn't make a sound, not a peep.
We used a little boat storage latch to pull the dummy door tight to weatherstripping. It doesn't move. We also weather stripped the primary door such that when it closes, you have to push it tight. With the floor sweeps on the bottom, neither door rattles.
We are still planning on putting a heavy curtain over the door to keep out the light from the games room in case people are in there. Otherwise when the room is dark you can at least see someone coming to the media room before the door opens.
In reply to:

Did you perform any SPL measurements inside and outside the room?

Oddly enough, no, i haven't done that yet.
It was on my list of things to do and i just haven't got around to it. I have to re-calibrate the convergence on my Toshiba so perhaps i will do the SPL measures on the weekend and report back.

Be sure to post some pics of your work in progress.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."