In reply to:

Also, I have this question. I want to control the volumes individually and swiftly by sliding potentiometers for 10 speakers + 1 subwoofer. I would maybe use a Mackie 16-channel mixer for this.

QUESTION: Where would I interface the mixer for individual speaker volume controls? In-between the incoming audio signal and the preamp/processor? Or in-between the pre/amp processor and the power amplifiers?

I'll admit, I've got a cold and my head is a little (very) hazy... you'd want to use something like the Mackie 1642 to control levels on 10 speakers and a sub? That is, say... in a restaurant to play 5.1 DVD-As between a 5.1 setup in the bar and a 5.0 setup in the restaurant-kind of thing?

You have to do it where you still have it at line level... but where you mix depends on your source and sends. In the case I outlined above, you'd go from the DVD-A player into a pre/pro, which does all the decoding and whatever else you want, then you'd want to go into the board there and then out to the amps.

Of course, you'd then have to find a pre/pro that does balanced XLR outs for each channel including the LFE channel. Might be a tough find.

If I misunderstood what you're looking for, please correct me.

Bren R.