My two cents, warranties and guarantees are way overrated. Buy from good companies that have good build quality and you should expect a solid item either new or used. In the least, a repair should be quick, local and relatively inexpensive. Certainly the odd thing will go wrong (my Panny dvd needed a new part last year), but track records count.
Mass user reviews reporting the same issue should tip you off (note how many times someone had problems even getting a company to recognize, take and properly fix a unit under warranty).
Read the feedback from online buyers and call them before you buy.
Have lots of communication if you have questions and contact some of their other buyers.
Do the research and you should have the answers and confidence you need to buy something used or refurbished. So far every one of my Audiogon or Ebay purchases has been fantastic. No broken items, all in excellent condition, all still working fine or if they died, it was not unexpected from something like a $10 mp3 player. I have easily saved myself over $4k in the past 4 years compared to buying any of these items new. That money could go towards a future repair if necessary, and that is alot of cash for most repair jobs!

I have a friend who won't buy ANYTHING unless it has a warranty AND an extended warranty option. He is beyond a doubt, the model Future Shop customer! In the past 3 years i estimate he spent over $2k on warranties from his electronics purchases (forgetting about his car warranty extras) and he will buy extended warranties if they are available after the old ones expire.

Just to note, there was only one occasion where he used a warranty to return an item that he figured was broken. He was a little miffed by the limitations of some speakers he bought some time ago and was convinced they were broken when in fact he was just pushing them beyond their abilities. A couple of trips to the seller, a 'tweak' that really did nothing and now he believes the sound problems are no longer there. The sound issues remain. We did some critical listening after the 'repair' job and the sound quirk was still there. However I think he chooses not to hear it. His exact words a year ago, "i don't seem to hear it as much anymore".
As much?!
Heck, something had to change since my friend liked the sound of these speakers so much that he didn't want anything else. The power of the brain at work.

People often complain they cannot afford this part or that part b/c they were out of money, yet they bought all new items in part for the warranties. If they had bought good used components and saved the cash, had a little confidence that other people take care of their stuff, they could all afford new chairs for the media room.
Warranties that cost extra are simply not worth it IMO. Buying new solely for the idea that your item will be so much more hassle free b/c it has a warranty coverage is so highly dependant on other factors that the warranty itself my be worthless or near useless.
Some people just need to feel comforted i guess, even if the blanket is thin and full of holes.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."