Quote:

I'm actually considering a pair of M50s. I think they would be nice down in my studio for XM, etc...

As I've said here many times in the past, I've wanted to try M3s to see how they would handle "less than stellar" recordings and sources, but I've found myself thinking that if it was music only (no HT) and very deep bass wasn't needed, the M50s would probably do very nicely instead of M3s...

M50 do a fine job all by themselves for music only. If the room isn't too hideous!! For near field monitoring all the good stuff is there in my room, just no real imaging to speak of!(unless I do the room rearangement, put up the towels, redistribute the pillows and put drapes on the fireplace routine, whew.)

I didn't have the M50s in the old house where my M3s did the hologram thing, so I don't know how well they really compare, but the M3s always did a fine job!(not QUITE as good in this house, though).

I do wonder about the new(current)v2 M3; as the graphs show not a bass hump, but more of a mid sag.

....but that's a different story.

Are the M50s a good set of speakers for those who understand that they are not exactly M60s and aren't getting them for the reduced cost only?

Absolutely!!

And like the M3s; they don't know how to make a rude sound!
Rich.

......unless it's "intended" to be rude.