Quote:

Actually, I've heard the cambridge soundworks stuff my mom has more than my uncle's Monitor gear (and they sounded better than the JBLs, also)

Then Axioms will be a major step upwards i would say.

Quote:

Do you think the issues you had with the tweeter are something endemic to Axiom speakers or just that particular model?

Given that all the Axiom speakers use the same driver, but utilize different cabinet sizes and midrange configurations, what i'm hearing may be specific to the M60 and i should strongly note, it is NOT a consistent sound across all my music collection. What i've heard is an infrequent character which was not present in other speakers i've auditioned and it is a sound that i label as 'bright'. Because of this, i've found some other speakers present certain material in a better way, however there are other redeeming sound qualities that i much prefer in my M60s. As my reviews have noted, one thing i very much like about Axiom speakers is their bass presentation.

In any event, the Axioms will be very comparable to your uncle's Monitor Audio speakers in overall sound quality. If you get a chance to hear those again, think of Axiom floorstanding M60s as having less heavy bass (tighter) and a more filled out midrange (less airy).
You can decide on how the tweeter sections sound for yourself if you decide to venture a purchase. Axiom speakers are of excellent quality for a very good price. I believe the general consensus is that you will likely find the M3s to be an articulate, relatively 'warm' speaker but not bass silly.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."