Icehawk, I feel your frustration--been through the same thing. Similar to mdrew, I have an HK 7200 which is a behemoth. It wasn't until I got it into the entertainment center that I realized I wasn't going to be able to plug anything in. Luckily, the entertainment center had one of those flimsy backings to it and I was able to cut a portion out with a small saw. It wasn't pretty, but I knew the receiver was going to cover the hole. I was able to move the receiver far enough back that I could close the glass door. Unfortunately, if I needed to unplug something it became a major hassle.

I went the extreme route and did a small remodel. I bought a separate TV stand and an audio rack that was open on all sides. I like this set up a lot better because I can make changes with little fuss, and I have plenty of ventilation.

Other than that, you may think about a different lay out for all your gear. I even entertained the idea of putting the receiver on top of the entertainment center. It wasn't going to look pretty, but it would have been functional.

You may have to get a little creative. Good luck.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose