Ken, it sounds as if you know what you are doing, so please don't take offense to my question.

Quote:

So adjusting the ext-in sub level and the channel volumes in both the 3805 and it sounds 'pretty good' - but the EP-500 seems to just 'boom' (volume control is at about 65%) rather than put out defined bass. I listen to a lot of stuff such as jazz and ambient techno and the bass is usually tightly defined on my other system.

I am assuming that you are doing this with a test disc and an SPL meter? Along with what the others have suggested, if the 500 is just "booming" you may also have it's level set too high.

Also on those setup discs, they have frequency sweeps. With a meter, you will be able to tell "where" in the frequency range (and "where" in the room) things are dropping out at.

Quote:

.....and the bass is usually tightly defined on my other system.

What are you running for speakers in the other system? For kicks, have you tried swapping the subs, the mains, or both? I know I was happier with my system in the basement of the old house than I am with it on the main floor of the new one. A big part of it may be the room.

Shawn

Epic 80/600 + M3's + M3 Algonquins + M2 Computer + EP125
I think I'm developing an addiction.