Dolby and DTS basically do the same thing, but have their own way of doing it. I find the easiest way to think about it without getting a headache is to compare it to a zip file. On the dvd, the sound data file is compressed to reduce bandwidth transfer between the dvd player and the receiver. The software compressing this data file and then unpacking it is either Dolby or DTS.

It is not unusual for many folks to have a preference for DTS over Dolby, I do too. DTS tends to be a little “hotter”, for lack of a better descriptor. The LFE tracks tend be more aggressive as well. Dolby on the other hand tends to be smoother. If I were comparing the two to cars, Dolby would be a Cadillac Sedan Deville and DTS would be a Vette. Both great rides, but distinctly different.

Now enters HD and BR audio tracks. Because the disks can store so much more information on them then standard def DVD’s, the need to compress files is less because Dolby and DTS have more flexibility in how they store/compress this information. Even though the sound files are still compressed and then unpacked, the files have more of the “O”’s and “X”’s than SD dvd’s, and just sound better. They sound better by a long shot. To make this even more complicated, there is an “uncompressed” PCM audio file on the current batch of BR and HD disks. The way I understand this, is it is simply a work around to give everyone a taste of how good Dolby HD and DTS –M will be. This PCM file is as it implies, uncompressed. But, it’s still not true HD audio and there’s a bunch of missing X’s and O’s in the data stream. The sound is vastly superior to what you find on a SD dvd, but it’s not as good as what will be available in the near future with HDMI 1.3 when Dolby HD and DTS-M rolls out on the new generation receivers and processors. Or, I should say that this is what we (consumers) are being led to believe. As with any new technology, propaganda is nothing but a clever way to sell it, and with HD, there’s more propaganda around it than the 08 elections.